Aquatop Reef Cube

DustyXB9Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my LFS has a new Aquatop Reef cube that is very tempting! It's a 24 gallon cube with a 7 gallon sump. They advertise it as an all in one system (that leads me to think it's more like a biocube or nuvo but it's not, but it digress). It comes with the tank, stand, sump, return pump, heater, skimmer (which is kind of a HOB style but goes inside the sump) and an ok light that probably wouldn't to much more than softies and mushrooms. I was curios if anyone has one or has seen one or any kind of input.

yhst-141574914266708_2433_486936896

This is the only picture I can seem to find of it.

edit: I forgot it also comes with a filter sock, all you really need do to is stock it. I'm having a hard time NOT buying it hahah

Last edited:

madsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever buy this? We bought one and did a review in it. Off The Reef Videos

NanoDan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also am interested in this cube tank. Anyone have any experience with it? I want to set up a rock flower anemone display.

PiscesPower

People protect what they love. - J. Cousteau
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased this tank in March of 2017. I replaced the skimmer and lights almost immediately. Door on the stand does not latch after about 2 weeks, it does stay closed just fine. Replaced the absurd square filter sock holder and sock (and gave feedback to Aquatop). The tank itself, the sump and the stand (despite the latch issue) have been okay. I really love the gloss black finish of the stand. In retrospect I would have purchased individually. Nothing malfunctioned; the skimmer was really noisy in the sump as the exit tubes didn't going into the water well. I never really gave it time, I just switched it out. I needed more light for corals, clam and neme so I switched to an AI Prime. I am replacing the return pump, but that is more because I want a DC pump that I can stop and start for feeding without having to unplug it all.

I do think its a great entry level system, but if you are like me and have more disposable income and like to have higher end stuff, it might be a better idea to buy separately. I told myself I would be satisfied with this system, but of course it didn't take me a week to start buying UP. LOL.

When I bought this I was not new to the hobby, but had been out for a few years. I bought this system a bit impulsively from my LFS, while I had a JBJ cube on order. I loved the rimless design and the look of the stand.

Hunter399

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank. I also got an AI Prime and filter sock. My return is really loud. It seems like it may be starving for air? If I blow air in the return line the water level in the return chamber rises and it gets way quieter. I drilled the hole slightly bigger and it helped a little bit but still loud as hell.

Bruno Moreira

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to trade my PlayStation 4 for one of these!

I just set this tank up. For one, the threading on the smaller return piping broke and when I went to the LFS they informed me that this problem had occured with numerous customers. I then found out that not only was the tubing a specialty tubing only produced by aquatop, but the parts were backordered. Next I had to purchase the whole plumbing set from Aquatop just to finally get this tank up and running. The guy who helped me was nice but they definitely aren't the best company.

All that said, I love my tank! I have about 20lbs of live sand, 20 lbs of live rock, a hermit, snail, and 2 clowns all helping with the cycle. It's a beautiful set up and everything seems to be working great. Like the others have said, the light is nothing special, and the protein skimmer not only fits weird but also doesn't seem to be the best. Do you guys have any recommendations for a skimmer that works well for a decent bioload in this tank?

I'll also likely repurpose the light for a smaller setup and replace it with an AI prime like others. Seems like it'll be a nice aesthetic addition as well. I'd love to see photos of how you guys have your tanks set up. I'll post mine if you post yours first...

Bruno Moreira

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good call, the connection for the pump and the skimmer seems to be producing the majority of the micro bubbles in my setup. Any ideas for improving that connection?

Hunter399

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I had to mess with mine and tighten down. Once it breaks in it helps. Also reducing that back pressure by fixing the return elbows will help. I would take a pic but not Home. Basically they are pushed to far up(vertical part with the sponge) and as a result us blocking like 75% of the water coming out because it’s into the elbow.

Bruno Moreira

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That totally makes sense. I'll mess around with mine and give it some time to break in. Just from my first attempts, it's already improved. Thank you.

Any advice on flow? I'm thinking about adding another powerhead on the middle part of the overflow pointing at the corner of the tank.

Bruno Moreira

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Use an MP10 on the side and an hydor 425 top corner. The return facing up for surface agitation.

image.jpg

image.jpg
Wow great setup! That rock arch is really cool.

I think I might just copy you with the powerhead placement. Here's a photo I snapped quickly last night.
IMG_0801.JPG

Bruno Moreira

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of putting a bicolor angel in there once it's established some. How's your flame doing? I can't wait to see what your tank looks like when it's grown out.

Hunter399

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has been good luckily. He was aggressive at first but mellowed out. I got him really small and his a dwarf flame angel so he shouldn’t get much bigger and his growth has slowed way down. Luckily he eats my copepods when he is bored instead of corals

Bruno Moreira

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm definitely planning on establishing a good copepod population. I threw some from my other fuge in there just to see how they do and the clowns seem to love the entertainment. Good to know they'll help with the angel eventually too.

Pedro76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also just bought this reef and I'm very annoyed by the rattling noise of the skimmer pump. I hope I can solve it somehow. But also another kind of noise coming from the water intake on the tank is very disturbing. Gonna see what I can do about it and will report.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an FYI, aquatop came out with a 32g cube, as well as a 48 non cube. I can’t remember if the 48 is standard size or not.
48 comes with a 15g sump, upgraded pump and heater. High gloss cabinet. I think they need to add a white cabinet to the series.

I’m a sales rep for a distribution company and we sell aquatop products. They are good quality on tanks and large items. Some of the smaller items can have a quality issue on occasion BUT they are by far one of best companies to deal with customer service wise. I have never had a problem getting parts, or replacements for customers.

If you run into an issue and the lfs doesn’t get anywhere calling direct, have them contact their distribution sales rep.

PiscesPower

People protect what they love. - J. Cousteau
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a sales rep for a distribution company and we sell aquatop products. They are good quality on tanks and large items. Some of the smaller items can have a quality issue on occasion BUT they are by far one of best companies to deal with customer service wise. I have never had a problem getting parts, or replacements for customers.

If you run into an issue and the lfs doesn’t get anywhere calling direct, have them contact their distribution sales rep.

I have since upgraded to a Red Sea tank. I did replace the skimmer and return, but more because I wanted the quietness and control of the DC motors. I had to deal with customer service for a few things, very minor, they were excellent and responsive.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%

Back