Are 2 wavemakers too much?

mannheimia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello dear friends,
I have a 90x50x50(cm) tank with 2 wavemakers, 1RW-4 and 1 RW-8. Rw8 is working with lowest speed and rw4 is working medium. I have soft corals like zoa and mushrooms as in the picture. My sand is special grade arag alive.
May i ask your opinions about their position is good in the tank or not? Should i take the rw8 out or not.

IMG_20191110_133806.jpg IMG_20191110_133650.jpg

DancingShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it will be fine. The tank itself will tell you.
If you start getting cyano on the sand bed, that a sign of low flow. So you might want to increase or change the angle of the powerhead. Things like that.

On a side note. Be careful with the xenia. It mighty, well will overtake your tank if you are not careful.

Nice looking tank.

OP
OP
mannheimia

mannheimia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it will be fine. The tank itself will tell you.
If you start getting cyano on the sand bed, that a sign of low flow. So you might want to increase or change the angle of the powerhead. Things like that.

On a side note. Be careful with the xenia. It mighty, well will overtake your tank if you are not careful.

Nice looking tank.

Thank you for your comments! I will keep on eye about cyano. I just worry about if the flow is too much for zoas.
And about xenia, i will monitor it closely :) thank you

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always experiment and moved my wavemakers flow according to coral placement design in tanks . I had a lot of flow in My 90 tank that was 60% sps dominated with a huge colony of zoas that growed like crazy . It was where I placed zoas in the tank that made them a success with right amount of light and flow .
second on monitoring Xenia’s . I had in my tank listed above and I had to remove it eventually . Kept finding heads growing all over crevices of 100 lbs of live rock and was a pain trying to remove .

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont use cyano as any sort of identifier to flow as it's caused by something else. If your sand isnt blowing all over (bugging you) and the inhabitants are looking healthy, it's fine. I have two MP40s running at 100% (about 3500gph for the WEs) in our 75g and 150g (about 4500gph for the QDs); the 150g will likely need additional units once the corals grow out.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back