Are all flatworms bad?

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I know there are the AEFW that are obviously really really bad, but I've found a flatworm, that had the same body as the AEFW, but was stark white...no color to it at all.

Long story short, are they still bad? I have not seen any in the tank before, and all my corals (currently no SPS) are doing great.

Any info would be great.

Thanks!

dutch27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run of the mill flatworms aren't really that bad unless they reach plague proportions and start blocking the light from your corals. That said, they can irritate acros if they're hanging out on them in large amounts, even if they aren't AEFW. In that case you can blow them off with a turkey baster. Flatworm Exit is very effective if you get to a point where you need to treat, but be prepared with the carbon and WC water as directed. When they die off in mass its very stressful on the tank inhabitants.

FYI - if you've seen 1, you have 50. They hide in the rocks. When I've treated in the past I have been blown away by how many dead worms float out of the rocks.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind is white? I found one in my tank. I kind feel bad I killed it after I read up on it but was to scared to let it get away not knowing. From what I read the AFEW are white. I dont have acros or any sps in that tank.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind is white? I found one in my tank. I kind feel bad I killed it after I read up on it but was to scared to let it get away not knowing. From what I read the AFEW are white. I dont have acros or any sps in that tank.
Lots of different flatworms are white. Ghost Flatworms (Amphiscolops sp.), sometimes called Acoel Flatworms (though that term applies much more broadly) are common ones that are relatively harmless.

Most Acoel flatworms are neutral to only moderately harmful (they're basically only bad in huge numbers); most other flatworms are moderately to extremely harmful (generally ranging from snail-eaters to coral-eaters).

PocketGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tons of red planaria. Haven’t really bothered anything since they started showing up. Maybe one day I’ll treat them. I just suck a bunch out during the weekly water changes and that seems to have helped lol. Been going on for a little over a year now.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 32.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 41 20.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 40 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back