Are aquarists never satisfied?

Pau Hana Reefer

got reef?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too dream about a 200 gallon but in a 2nd story apt I dont think it would be possible, i feel your pain

So then the next question naturally is... have you entertained the idea of changing your original plans and moving to your next place sooner than later in order to accommodate your reef tank dreams?

OP
OP
Don_Jorge

Don_Jorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have aquariums for the enrichment of my life, each new wrinkle, each piece of equipment or occupant that i add or notice is another layer to that experience that i want to savor. That said, i definitely have a limit to the amount of time/energy/money i am willing to devote to this aspect of my life. I have found ,in life, that More is not always Better.
I have a 75 FW, a 10 gal FW QT; a 30 gal SW bow front with sump, a 20 gal SW QT, and my 75 SW DT with basement sump (30 gal volume in a 55 gal tank).
i think i am at high tide, the fw quarantine will probably be emptied and shelved for future use. the 20 gal i set up as a quarantine will probably be taken down and shelved for future use as a hospital tank. the bow front will become my SW quarantine/observation tank.
the 75 FW is stable with possibly shrimp replacements and shoaling fish population replenishments as required to maintain that behavior.
over the coming years i will add some small number of fish and corals to my SW and increase the lighting to support the corals. I am cool with not having the equipment to house many aquatic species. many of you do that for me and share your experiences and photos/videos.
i am inspired and informed by the experience and excitement i see in this hobby. the 'many paths to the top' variety is what draws me to experiment and learn and ultimately enjoy reefing.
Nice collection!

OP
OP
Don_Jorge

Don_Jorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So then the next question naturally is... have you entertained the idea of changing your original plans and moving to your next place sooner than later in order to accommodate your reef tank dreams?
Hadn't thought about it but you make a great point, ty! Note to self get an apt on the first floor when lease is up lol

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waiting for winter to be over....this is the time of year I have ideas, the little reef bowl, desktop shrimp tank. I've been trying to clean up my "extra" fish tank gear recently. Building a "temporary" holding tank in my basement with parts lying around, busted a 55 while doing it, luckily I had another 55 right next to it.

I could make a cold water salt tank out of it or hold goldfish in the winter from a garden pond or use it for a baitfish tank.

sg88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is actually an algorithm to calculate how many tanks you need. It is X+1=desired tanks. Where X is the number of tanks you currently have, and you just need one more.
But remember not all spouses/significant others are hobbiests, so to paraphrase the knowledge of the cycling community, the proper number of tanks is n-1, where “n” is the number of tanks that would lead to divorce (and it works for bicycles also...I have 4 fish tanks but am allowed 5 bicycles!)

Bridgerdean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But remember not all spouses/significant others are hobbiests, so to paraphrase the knowledge of the cycling community, the proper number of tanks is n-1, where “n” is the number of tanks that would lead to divorce (and it works for bicycles also...I have 4 fish tanks but am allowed 5 bicycles!)
I love this!

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will quote the great chaz micheal micheals from blades of glory.
"I am never satisfied!" Lol

I think we just look to update and make better so the display is something we look at and is easy to see.
D

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's when you start combining your hobbies. I have 2 bikes for fishing. One is a gravel bike for the road trips and a Trek Fuel for the mountain trips to small streams. Next one is another road bike for training indoors while staring at aquarium and watching fly tying videos.:D

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could be that there are two strains of reefers: keepers and collectors; with keepers it is about setting up an aquarium or two and enjoying them. With collectors it is about finding and obtaining new specimens. This latter variety is ever seeking the 'new', the former enjoys the 'now'.

Crashnt24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been tweaking and customizing my 75 gallon for years now. I can't do much more with it besides rescape and go full SPS. I really love a SPS acro dominant tank with plenty of LPS on the sand. I'm running out of room though.

I think once I get my dream tank I'll be satisfied. That dream tank is a 8' 500gal+ dining room/ living room dividing wall tank

All Delight

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I understand. Cause I have a 180 gallon shallow reef (72x36x16) with only 2 fish and no coral. But I’m already thinking if I should get a bigger tank. Not to mention I already have 6 grow out tanks and 4 fish qt tanks running.

Then you consider the 3 empty tanks I have because I saw them for sale and they were too good to pass up on. What I don’t have is enough time.

All Delight

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could be that there are two strains of reefers: keepers and collectors; with keepers it is about setting up an aquarium or two and enjoying them. With collectors it is about finding and obtaining new specimens. This latter variety is ever seeking the 'new', the former enjoys the 'now'.
Lol this is true. I’d say I’m a collector.

king aiptasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does God get tired of cosmic construction projects? No of course not, he's got trillions upon quintillions of galaxies and still wants to keep making the next great ones.

We have this God like creator mindset, and want to see wonderful things and wonderful little worlds being made from our handiwork

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being a young single Pringle, what I’m hearing is...

n=number of tanks for divorce/breakup
x=number of tanks owned

desired tanks=x+1
&
Allowed tanks=n-1

Then the secret to a happy marriage/relationship is as follows~

x+1<n-1

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 85 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back