Are aquarists never satisfied?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever since I was a kid I would crave putting together fish tanks and aquascaping just right then when the tanks all set up and stocked all I can think about is buying another aquarium for the high of another build. Are we all like this?
There’s always something new and shiny to suck us back in. I’m never satisfied. But if 5 years ago you showed me my current tank, I would’ve thought it was pro. Now I’m like eh... wish I would’ve done this and that and want to change this and that. And now I need a bigger tank.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever since I was a kid I would crave putting together fish tanks and aquascaping just right then when the tanks all set up and stocked all I can think about is buying another aquarium for the high of another build. Are we all like this?
I love the jump on and measure stage....can I build one and fit it here? I would keep local fish and inverts from our backyard creek every year. Lots of set ups and tear downs in my 10 and 20 gallon glass tanks then. Very fun and often included frogs, newts, and salamanders for the season. What fun!

OP
OP
Don_Jorge

Don_Jorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea thats part of it for me too. I want to start a new tank using gulf premium deco rock as apposed to the dry rock ive always used this time

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's pretty much like that for every hobby. You always want new challenges to keep your interest.
I golf almost every day. If it was easy, I would probably quit. You can always do better in golf. No two days are the same. Most people need to be challenged to keep a hobby long term.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people do vary. Years ago I had multi tank syndrome with salt and fw but it all got too much. For the past several years I am happy with one tank, and I even downsized it a bit as I didn’t like the work ok a 4 foot tank and wouldn’t take anything larger than my 3’ if it was free! So there is some hope, haha

Pau Hana Reefer

got reef?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just talking about this with my wife last week... who just nodded and smiled and either didn’t get it or didn’t care. So thank you for bringing this up!!!

I’m entering my 4th decade of fish keeping and my third year of my first saltwater tank. With every one of my past FW plants, I usually found myself starting to get bored about 2-3 years in. They always became “set it and forget it” with no additional challenges. Planted tanks helped extend that honeymoon period by about 6 months.

Reefing has been a game changer. While there are still times that my obsession wanes, I find myself wanting more and more every month that goes by. What started as a FOWLR tank 3 years ago quickly became a fish + softies tank, which soon lead to the addition of some LPS... and this past year, ultimately becoming an SPS dominant tank. Not to mention I’ve been collecting equipment for a 30 gallon shallow reef and already daydreaming about my 200g+ tank that I hope you have in a few years when we move to our forever home.

OP
OP
Don_Jorge

Don_Jorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just talking about this with my wife last week... who just nodded and smiled and either didn’t get it or didn’t care. So thank you for bringing this up!!!

I’m entering my 4th decade of fish keeping and my third year of my first saltwater tank. With every one of my past FW plants, I usually found myself starting to get bored about 2-3 years in. They always became “set it and forget it” with no additional challenges. Planted tanks helped extend that honeymoon period by about 6 months.

Reefing has been a game changer. While there are still times that my obsession wanes, I find myself wanting more and more every month that goes by. What started as a FOWLR tank 3 years ago quickly became a fish + softies tank, which soon lead to the addition of some LPS... and this past year, ultimately becoming an SPS dominant tank. Not to mention I’ve been collecting equipment for a 30 gallon shallow reef and already daydreaming about my 200g+ tank that I hope you have in a few years when we move to our forever home.
I too dream about a 200 gallon but in a 2nd story apt I dont think it would be possible, i feel your pain

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the laugh lol I gave your insta a follow, nice tanks!
Nothing makes me feel more accomplished than when I make someone laugh! Thanks for the follow!

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have aquariums for the enrichment of my life, each new wrinkle, each piece of equipment or occupant that i add or notice is another layer to that experience that i want to savor. That said, i definitely have a limit to the amount of time/energy/money i am willing to devote to this aspect of my life. I have found ,in life, that More is not always Better.
I have a 75 FW, a 10 gal FW QT; a 30 gal SW bow front with sump, a 20 gal SW QT, and my 75 SW DT with basement sump (30 gal volume in a 55 gal tank).
i think i am at high tide, the fw quarantine will probably be emptied and shelved for future use. the 20 gal i set up as a quarantine will probably be taken down and shelved for future use as a hospital tank. the bow front will become my SW quarantine/observation tank.
the 75 FW is stable with possibly shrimp replacements and shoaling fish population replenishments as required to maintain that behavior.
over the coming years i will add some small number of fish and corals to my SW and increase the lighting to support the corals. I am cool with not having the equipment to house many aquatic species. many of you do that for me and share your experiences and photos/videos.
i am inspired and informed by the experience and excitement i see in this hobby. the 'many paths to the top' variety is what draws me to experiment and learn and ultimately enjoy reefing.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 24.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 62 32.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.1%
Back