Are canister filters nitrate factories?

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm currently running a canister on my 20 gal. I got it for free and its doing okay. My nitrate is at 10 and I always hear that canisters are nitrate factories. I have not cleaned mine out in a month either (yeah i know i should). Should I switch to two hang on back aquaclears instead? I'm super lazy and dont want to clean out a canister filter all the time. A hang on back is so much easier but it is less ascetically pleasing. What do you guys think? Should I switch or stay?

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are not. If you clean it biweekly and do biweekly water changes, should not be a problem. I have a canister on my 40 gallon I clean monthly and I have really low phosphates and nitrates.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hang on, I did not read the whole thing. Get a seachem tidal. They look somewhat stylish and have a bunch of other good features i am too lazy to name

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hang on, I did not read the whole thing. Get a seachem tidal. They look somewhat stylish and have a bunch of other good features i am too lazy to name

I have one of those, and man they are hideous. They stick out like 5 inches from the tank. The surface skimmer is trash too

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dirty is dirty, no matter what one uses as filtration, right?

But you might be inclined to pull out some old school filter floss from some HOBs faster than you would be to disassemble the canister.

Maybe paint the back black, or get a background from your LFS to make the HOBs less noticeable.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe get a hang on refugium? You can put refugium stuff in them sucha chaeto to keep the nutrients down and some marinepure blocks and LR and LS to keep Ammonia and Nitrite in check, if you get a CPR aquafuge they are somewhat thing and you can hang on a drawstring filtersock on them.

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dirty is dirty, no matter what one uses as filtration, right?

But you might be inclined to pull out some old school filter floss from some HOBs faster than you would be to disassemble the canister.

Maybe paint the back black, or get a background from your LFS to make the HOBs less noticeable.
Yeah i have black window tint on my tank. Thanks!

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe get a hang on refugium? You can put refugium stuff in them sucha chaeto to keep the nutrients down and some marinepure blocks and LR and LS to keep Ammonia and Nitrite in check, if you get a CPR aquafuge they are somewhat thing and you can hang on a drawstring filtersock on them.
I was thinking about that but my tank is in my room and the red light spill would keep me from sleeping. I am one of those type of sleepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean if you want to recreate the ocean. Lets get some filter feeders, ocean water, bunch of live sand and live rock. Microfauna, algae eating fish, bunch of CuC. And maybe ask the tank to be nice. :)

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about that but my tank is in my room and the red light spill would keep me from sleeping. I am one of those type of sleepers
Sleep Mask? and you could get a black blanket and covering it. Now that I am saying this, maybe I should recreate the ocean.

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sleep Mask? and you could get a black blanket and covering it. Now that I am saying this, maybe I should recreate the ocean.
Ill look into it but I'm not really too open on changing how i sleep. Thanks tho

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might just do two aquaclear 50s and something like that since they dont pop out of the tank that much.

fluked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Devils advocate here, and to be fair i've never used a canister filter before so my knowledge on them is pretty limited. But couldn't you use a filter sock and/or sponge over the intake of the cannister, either in the tank, or where it enters the cannister itself, that way you only really have to clean that somewhat regularly? and then just use live rock rubble or something similar for the other sections of the cannister, its probably not much more cleaning required over a hob.

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Devils advocate here, and to be fair i've never used a canister filter before so my knowledge on them is pretty limited. But couldn't you use a filter sock and/or sponge over the intake of the cannister, either in the tank, or where it enters the cannister itself, that way you only really have to clean that somewhat regularly? and then just use live rock rubble or something similar for the other sections of the cannister, its probably not much more cleaning required over a hob.
good idea but the intake is behind some rock and i know this is a fish tank hobby but i hate putting my hands directly into the tank. for some reason saltwater irritates my skin on my forearms so i try to avoid that.

Clownfish_Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I have no sump in my 60g setup, I use a Aqua-Tech 300gph HOB filter and a AquaMaxx HOB filter/skimmer combine. Looks pretty good......

IMG_2167.JPG

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back