Are canister filters nitrate factories?

fluked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good idea but the intake is behind some rock and i know this is a fish tank hobby but I hate putting my hands directly into the tank. for some reason saltwater irritates my skin on my forearms so I try to avoid that.
I'm currently dealing with the same, tropical tanks are fine, but saltwater gives me pretty awful rashes, pharmacist said it was contact dermatitis, and cream for that does fix it, until my arms are in the tank again anyways.
I bought some gloves off ebay that are past shoulder length, waiting for them to come in still, but hoping they fix my problem.
My only reason id have for sticking with the cannister would be more room for filtration, which is pretty important on a 20gal.

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently dealing with the same, tropical tanks are fine, but saltwater gives me pretty awful rashes, pharmacist said it was contact dermatitis, and cream for that does fix it, until my arms are in the tank again anyways.
I bought some gloves off ebay that are past shoulder length, waiting for them to come in still, but hoping they fix my problem.
My only reason id have for sticking with the cannister would be more room for filtration, which is pretty important on a 20gal.
I'm thinking about doing a hang on back and canister. I would only fill the canister with bio media and then use the hang on back for mechanical filtration to polish the water. Would I be able to get away with rare cleanings of the canister filter this way?

Dabmaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im with clown fish boy. I'm still pretty new to salt tanks but I have 2 60gal aquasafe backpack filters equals out to 120 gal per hr and a skimmer tank does grate

Clownfish_Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A HOB filter is the best option for the 20g.

fluked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about doing a hang on back and canister. I would only fill the canister with bio media and then use the hang on back for mechanical filtration to polish the water. Would I be able to get away with rare cleanings of the canister filter this way?
Bio media without anything stopping detritus building up in it would likely give you issues. If the plan is minimal maintanence, id say either go with mechanical before it goes into the cannister, or just use hob. Or i suppose just use filter media thats easier to clean in a cannister, a few bio bricks or something, would just need to take them out, rinse in tank water when you do a water change then put back in. I feel like that would help be an in between step. But the other guys commenting here all have good points.

Clownfish_Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My filters look ok on my tank.....

IMG_2141.JPG

IMG_2139.JPG

AfaceInTheCrowd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a canister filter is only a problem if it is used biologically...if it is purely for mechanical filtration, ie cleaned out weekly or so, by either replacing sponges/floss or washing in TAP water to kill bacteria then it’s perfectly fine to use without becoming a “nitrate factory”

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back