Are Chinese LED's bad/inferior?

Mcreefer

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I DIY'd a fixture with Chinese LEDs and drivers, also had an arduino for lightning. My mandarins loved it. I think it depends on the fish really. Tank raised/wild caught.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1: spend triple the price, get triple the warranty.

2: spend 1/3 the price. Get a lesser warranty.

So far both high end models and cheaper Chinese LEDs has proven they can grow corals. In some cases the par value on the so called inferior Chinese models outperform the high end and high priced American mades.

You just have a very good option. For me : lower price, higher performance out did the high end model with really high price that only included a few syncing options.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Our warranty is 2 years, and the us made fixtures have a 1 year warranty.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

tbone74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 Reefbreeders over my 240, one more over the frag tank, and one on a fish only cube and I couldn't be happier. The sps in the 240 have exploded with growth after changing from 2x250MH and 110w VHO to their LED fixtures. The Acros in the frag tank are encrusting the egg crate! Five fixtures for under $1000... My wallet couldn't be happier either.

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 Lit by Cheap Ebay LEDS

42620130007.JPG

Gotta say it...Could of been done with the same PAR and better efficiency with 4-6 Manufactured in the USA Fixtures...

No Worries Spectrum is Spectrum and the proof is in the pudding...Well Done.

In a year or two you will be the most popular guy on the block trimming those SPS like a bonsai tree and giving away frags...Or selling them at frag swaps....

Bill

Last edited:

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Them communists and their LEDs... you know them communist LEDs are actually listening devices!

bhazard451

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta say it...Could of been done with the same PAR and better efficiency with 4-6 Manufactured in the USA Fixtures...

No Worries Spectrum is Spectrum and the proof is in the pudding...Well Done.

In a year or two you will be the most popular guy on the block trimming those SPS like a bonsai tree and giving away frags...Or selling them at frag swaps....

Bill

The irony is that 4 of those fixtures, the ones without the red leds in the pic, are Apollo Reef Led fixtures, assembled in the USA. From what I remember, he's replacing those with more chinese leds because he likes the look of the layout better, and can pocket the extra cash from selling them.

$379 x 4 = $1516 vs. $179 x 4 $716. The better bridgelux bins in the Apollo do not offer enough extra efficiency to cover spending twice as much. With the amount of fixtures here, he can get all of them via group buy pricing direct for just under $1k. It just cant be done for this price other than via a nice DIY setup.

My fav led lit tank I've seen.

Reefermatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at ordering lights soon and will be going the ebay route. I have done a ton of research and feel confident in my purchase. What I'm hoping you guys can help me out with is the decision between the 2 red led and the 4 red led model.

Dimmable LED Aquarium Light 120W with Lens 55X3WATT Bridgelux Coral Reef Fixture | eBay
120W LED Aquarium Lighting Full Spectrum Coral Reef Growing Moonlight Fixture | eBay

Sorry, don't mean to jack the thread. I have seen these led's over tanks and am perfectly happy with both price and performance.

Pappy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those lights are going to grow algae like crazy and IMO won't last worth a crap. Blues to whites should always be a 2:1 ratio.

jasonrodreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'am no fan of the "china box" or the flat out copies of lights... But it you want to start cracking open your LED fixtures you will find 95% of it comes from china.

reefkoi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you can get 50-60 par to the bottom where the chalices and zoas/Palys other lps will love it!
Sometimes I wonder if half the part time led sellers out there (name withheld) even keep nice corals? It's hard to back something you can't grow and color corals up with that's for sure!

general0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running 3 and soon to be 4 AJM Led's over my 6ft 165g reef. I came from 2 250 and 1 400w MH lights and I couldn't be happier with my switch over to these! I was able to custom select my own spectrum (which you can't do with the more expensive lights). I have found a way to control my manually dimmable lights 2 channels with the controllable dimmable versions (cat5 connections and 4 wires per driver is all it takes!). I love the spectrum and the SPS look great, their colors so far are looking as good and have grown at the same rate under these lights and they did with the MH. I've only run them for the last 4 months so time will tell the full story but everything seems to be responding very well with them. A good comparison would be Koralia versus Ecotech. Yes the Vortech are cool with their controllers but you can accomplish the same thing for less with koralia's just without the extras.

I got into a heated debate on this same subject with someone on my local club's forum If you have never used these lights I'm not sure how you can give an opinion on them? We all know there are 100 ways to run a successful reef tank. These lights are the same concept, they accomplish the same basic principle, provide light for your reef! They just do this by using more led's that run at less wattage. I based my opinion on getting these lights after seeing other tanks with Radions, Maxspect Razors, and AI's and I honestly wouldn't pay the price premium for those extra features because I would never use them and I can accomplish similar results for less.

The other example I can give is if you wanted to have proper spread and coverage for a mature 180 gallon SPS dominant reef setup you would need 6 Radions or 6 AI's to accomplish this. The cost diference for those compared to 6 IT2040's is significant! I will eventually move to 6 fixtures and feel my cost to benefits far exceeds my expectations with these lights!

Here's my tank for reference using my crappy cell phone. The color is not as purple in real life!

general0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also still acclimating my corals to these lights the are currently run at 40% blues, 30% whites.

general0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also still acclimating my corals to these lights the are currently run at 40% blues, 30% whites.

Pappy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running 3 and soon to be 4 AJM Led's over my 6ft 165g reef. I came from 2 250 and 1 400w MH lights and I couldn't be happier with my switch over to these! I was able to custom select my own spectrum (which you can't do with the more expensive lights). I have found a way to control my manually dimmable lights 2 channels with the controllable dimmable versions (cat5 connections and 4 wires per driver is all it takes!). I love the spectrum and the SPS look great, their colors so far are looking as good and have grown at the same rate under these lights and they did with the MH. I've only run them for the last 4 months so time will tell the full story but everything seems to be responding very well with them. A good comparison would be Koralia versus Ecotech. Yes the Vortech are cool with their controllers but you can accomplish the same thing for less with koralia's just without the extras.

I got into a heated debate on this same subject with someone on my local club's forum If you have never used these lights I'm not sure how you can give an opinion on them? We all know there are 100 ways to run a successful reef tank. These lights are the same concept, they accomplish the same basic principle, provide light for your reef! They just do this by using more led's that run at less wattage. I based my opinion on getting these lights after seeing other tanks with Radions, Maxspect Razors, and AI's and I honestly wouldn't pay the price premium for those extra features because I would never use them and I can accomplish similar results for less.

The other example I can give is if you wanted to have proper spread and coverage for a mature 180 gallon SPS dominant reef setup you would need 6 Radions or 6 AI's to accomplish this. The cost diference for those compared to 6 IT2040's is significant! I will eventually move to 6 fixtures and feel my cost to benefits far exceeds my expectations with these lights!

Here's my tank for reference using my crappy cell phone. The color is not as purple in real life!

Koralia vs is THE worse comparison I've heard yet as an example. Koralias die very quickly when put on controllers, no undertow whatsoever, heat in tank, and take up way more space.

As far as how your tank looks...it looks awesome right now! BUT when you start cranking them up you will experience algae issues with all the warm, neutral, and cool whites AND all the red and green. And as far as longevity agreed its only been 4 months. I will be interested to see how long they'll last. Curious as to if 1 bulb goes, can just 1 be replaced? Did you take a par reading right off the bat? Because I wonder if the bridgelux will lose their intensity over time.

As far as the comparing these to ai, and other name brands...
I am not a fan of the ai and most others also. I think they're not all they're cracked up to be from what I've seen in person. Most people don't want to go the DIY route but that's the best for sure. I had mine built locally and the materials for my 120 cost approx $750 alone and Dude charged me like $200 to put together. Not paying for any name here other than quality bulbs, aluminum for heat sink, good drivers, and a controller. There has to be a reason these fixtures are far less than what it costs just for materials to build yourself.

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just have to mention that $179 to $229 for these fixtures non dimmable fixtures is two to three years of Bulb Replacement...T5 and MH...Not Bad...

After being on the street for about two years I have received numerous calls for driver replacements. and more recently have seen individual LEDs burn out.

You really pay for what you get.

I also share the concern that "Full Spectrum" AKA in my book "Shallow Spectrum" at full power my promote the same nuisance algae found in tidal pools.

Bill

bhazard451

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Koralia vs is THE worse comparison I've heard yet as an example. Koralias die very quickly when put on controllers, no undertow whatsoever, heat in tank, and take up way more space.

As far as how your tank looks...it looks awesome right now! BUT when you start cranking them up you will experience algae issues with all the warm, neutral, and cool whites AND all the red and green. And as far as longevity agreed its only been 4 months. I will be interested to see how long they'll last. Curious as to if 1 bulb goes, can just 1 be replaced? Did you take a par reading right off the bat? Because I wonder if the bridgelux will lose their intensity over time.

Nutrients will play more of a factor in excessive growth of nuisance algae compared to 3-4 warm white leds. 450nm royal blue alone will even grow it in a nutrient rich environment.

Some of the chinese leds have safeguards in place in case 1 led dies so it won't kill the whole string. Some don't.

general0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A update on my LED lights! No algae issues and corals are growing perfectly fine! I did upgrade the center light to a 24" IT 2060 with a custom spectrum that's similar to the other two.

Sorry for the crappy iPhone pics, I gotta get a nice camera one of these days!

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of PAR are you seeing on the sand bed?

I've said it before and will say it a gain. Some Chinese Imports are a good value others are not.

I feel for those guys selling the inferior fixtures as their life expectancy is one month one day past the warranty. Or the Joke goes...Seriously Toss me a PM for specifics.

Svein A. Fossa and Alf Jacob Nilsen have been pioneers in Reef Keeping. Here is a chart from their book "The Modern Coral Reef Aquarium Vol 1". I recommend all volumes to those interested in keeping corals happy and growing.

DaytimeLUX.jpg

Measured Peak Lux is a a little less than a 400 watt MH @ 18" in my personal 30" Deep Reef Tank based on my Lux Meter. Yes Lux and Par are different but mainstream MH Lighting share a close to linear not exact relationship based on my measurements. Any way 460 PAR @ 24" in free air is the measurement from my 400 watt Radium with ReefFlux Reflector. Just food for thought.

Some of the Chinese Imports can achieve this others (name withheld) use dated LEDs and run way hot which lowers their useful life along with their intensity. They also have an efficiency that is pathetic compared to the current generation of Cree and Luxion 5 watt LEDs.

A well designed fixture will focus on thermal management as the cooler the LEDs are the brighter they are at the same wattage.

I like to see 150-200 Max PAR on the Sand Bed for my Red Carpet Anemone.

Nice Tank BTW If you program peak intensity like the above curve you will be happy with the results.

Keep us informed on the reliability of the fixtures. Also let us know if they are hot to the touch or use noisy fans.

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Back