Oops!

Last edited:

slipondajimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Ron,

Do you think I would require more then one for my tank?

If you want a basic full spectrum fixture with dimmers try the OceanRevive Arctic S026 or the EverGrow OR D120.
If you want built-in controllers try the EverGrow IT2060.

OceanRevive is a sponsor here on R2R. You can find them here:
http://www.oceanrevivellc.com/
o
r
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/ocean-revive-led/

I
have 3 EverGrow fixtures and 3 OceanRevive fixtures. I had 3 EG D120's and switched to 3 OR Arctic S026 because they offer a number of small advantages for just a couple of dollars more than the D120.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the 24" IT2060 will cover your 30" tank just fine. If you're really heavy into sps and want plenty of light, and money is less of an issue... 2 IT2040's (16" long) turned perpendicular to the length of the tank would be awesome... but probably not necessary. :wink: Or if the controllers aren't important to you, 2 OceanRevive Arctic S026 turned perpendicular would be great light as well and save you about $300 over 2 IT2040's.

slipondajimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas manly is what I am looking at. The controllers are not really important to me .

Thanks for all your help

I think the 24" IT2060 will cover your 30" tank just fine. If you're really heavy into sps and want plenty of light, and money is less of an issue... 2 IT2040's (16" long) turned perpendicular to the length of the tank would be awesome... but probably not necessary. :wink: Or if the controllers aren't important to you, 2 OceanRevive Arctic S026 turned perpendicular would be great light as well and save you about $300 over 2 IT2040's.

EpicWin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! What a post. I'll just interject my comments in bold blue print.

And that's my understanding of where we disagree.

This graph shows how much of each spectrum is used in the photo synthesis that the zooxanthellae use in order to feed coral.

And here is a graph to show how light penetrates the ocean. Your claim that most color is taken out in 36 inches is just wrong.

I so appreciate you replying to my post and making corrections. I did mean 36 feet lol. Admittedly, I am by no means an expert, just a biologist ( lol my degree is in evolutionary biology-genetics). One thing I am sure of though is that coral reefs are still somewhat of an unknown to science. Still tons to be learned.

Railcar79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And my head is still spinning. Myself, and I am sure that there are many more people like me, don't understand stuff like binning, and the like, and really don't care either. Give us a light that won't fry our tanks, give us decent colors, and not overwhelm us with techno dribble, and I for one will buy.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I so appreciate you replying to my post and making corrections. I did mean 36 feet lol. Admittedly, I am by no means an expert, just a biologist ( lol my degree is in evolutionary biology-genetics). One thing I am sure of though is that coral reefs are still somewhat of an unknown to science. Still tons to be learned.

You are 100% right about the fact that there is still a lot to learn about corals and how to help them and keep them. I've been in the hobby 8+ years and I'm learning just as much today as I did 8 years ago! I knew next to nothing about light and leds until 18 months ago. Since then it's been an ongoing classroom session to try and learn as much as I can.

And my head is still spinning. Myself, and I am sure that there are many more people like me, don't understand stuff like binning, and the like, and really don't care either. Give us a light that won't fry our tanks, give us decent colors, and not overwhelm us with techno dribble, and I for one will buy.

I'm afraid led fixtures are going to require some degree of effort on the user's part to get them right for some time to come. Unfortunately, right now even a lot of the fixtures being made are less than optimum. The science about what corals need or want in the way of light is still a field with lots for us to learn. And some of the manufacturers could care less about the science and only want to sell fixtures. Some even very well made fixtures have issues in terms of led color selection (mostly too much white and not enough blue). And the fact that different tanks (i.e. FOWLR, zoas, lps & sps) may use different led lighting make it harder. And a lot of data out there is unnecessary. I agree with you completely about binning, who cares? You are talking about changes that are so tiny that only expensive equipment can tell the difference. Even led brands are becoming unimportant. Sure Cree leds are probably the best quality, but I can get the same thing from less expensive brands and as long as the basic colors are right and there is a bit more PAR (light intensity) than I need, who cares?

But on the other hand, I switched from mh & t5 to leds about 9 months ago. Now I had 1000W of mh and 160W of t5 over my 180g tank. I also had mh and t5 over 3 smaller tanks. I switched all 4 to led only. My total lighting lighting was close to 2000W, now it is 1440W if all the led fixtures were running at 100%, which they never do. I figure it's really about 800-900W given I run 50% or less on white leds and 75% or less on blue leds. So I'm saving 1000W an hour for 8-10 hours a day. Plus my 2 chillers now run about 10-20% of what they did with the MH. And my home A/C runs less as well. Our May, June & July electric bills have been down $40, $30 and $50 over last year and the cost of electricity has gone up a bit and all 3 months were hotter on average (according to NOAA). That's a big deal to me. Oh, and I think my corals look much better. I change the color of my tank from dawn to midday and back again from midday to dusk. I love the ability to do that. And after 9 months I can guarantee you that even my sps corals are growing just as well, if not better, than they did with MH & t5.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My LED's , I consider to be superior lighting. Runs warm BUT I am looking at rigging some type of vent system with fan to keep 'em cooler for extended life.

Krink912

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tao tronics chinese led

I use chinese leds and have awesome growth

Attachments

• 20130828_134141.jpg
    20130828_134141.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 444

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

lyang415

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking at two light fixtures recently and am trying to decide which to buy!

1.) E.shine Systems - AquaBeauty 105W - LED Aquarium Light
AquaBeauty 5G series, CREE leds
10 - Cree XTE Cool White, 4 - Cree XTE Warm White
12 - Cree XPE Royal Blue, 4 - Cree XPE Blue
2 - Cree XPE Red, 2 - Cree XPE Green
2 - Osram Dual-lamp Violet
34 LED's total
$600 for two fixtures

2.)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2Pcs-120W-LED-Aquarium-Light-Full-Spectrum-Coral-Reef-Growing-Moonlight-Fixture-/281104364130?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4173203262

I believe this one is the Ocean Revive OR-D120. It utilizes BRIDGELUX LED's
LED Layout:
Dimmer One(28 LEDs): Cool White(10000-14000K), Neutral White(5500-7500K), Warm White(3000-4500K),

Deep Red660nm, Green520nm;
Dimmer Two(27 LEDs): Blue(460-470nm), Royal Blue 450nm, Violet(400-420nm).
55 LED's Total
$300 for two fixtures

fyrfytr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me...and my limited knowledge. ..I think a DIY LED will be my choice. For one, its a FOWLR tank that may eventually (if the banker/wife allows it) get into some small corals. And secondary to that, its a 36gal bowfront tank that is in the living room so I'm required (see above) to keep a neat/clean appearance to it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

tuna_bullet

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have had my chinese leds for 3 years...i also bought the 270w version...which do great....i have zoas and some chalices and they grow like crazy....i am up grading this week to the new Asta 120r1 full spectrum cannons by one of the larger manufacturers in China..they are programable, upgradeable, both lights and lenses. i can set them up on the lunar shedule they are 4 channel programable, 350 par at 36" deep......cant wait to get them next week........best of all $190 each shipped to my door...$159 plus shipping

larangcon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's Up Bro, can you give me the info where you're getting the Asta 120R1, Thanks man...

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Can you give me ordering info on these lights?
i have had my chinese leds for 3 years...i also bought the 270w version...which do great....i have zoas and some chalices and they grow like crazy....i am up grading this week to the new Asta 120r1 full spectrum cannons by one of the larger manufacturers in China..they are programable, upgradeable, both lights and lenses. i can set them up on the lunar shedule they are 4 channel programable, 350 par at 36" deep......cant wait to get them next week........best of all $190 each shipped to my door...$159 plus shipping

Dog Boy Dave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my EBAY Chinese LEDS

I have 4 of them. $179 each but now down to $130. I have 4 and I love them. Will buy more. Very superior to what I built myself for much more cash bout a year and a half ago.

Nov Tank images 015.jpg
Nov Tank images 048.jpg
Nov Tank images 049.jpg

Nov Tank images 032.jpg
Nov Tank images 035.jpg

seancc317

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 of them. $179 each but now down to $130. I have 4 and I love them. Will buy more. Very superior to what I built myself for much more cash bout a year and a half ago.

Nov Tank images 015.jpg Nov Tank images 048.jpg Nov Tank images 049.jpg

Nov Tank images 032.jpg Nov Tank images 035.jpg

Awesome tank. Can you give specific info like a link possibly to the light you have

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back