Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I never had an issue with them

rgulrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a paper with a little more complete answer. A good idea to read the whole paper and get the framework, but I can understand jumping down to the "important part". Look down at the top of page number "89" for Gobiodon citrinus (it's actually page 17 of the pdf). You'll see 99% of its gut contents were Acropora polyps. So, if you're keeping everything else but Acropora you're probably in good shape. If you have a lot of grown out Acropora, again, you're probably in good shape if you don't mind retracted polyps and it browsing on them. If you're trying to grow out small frags and only have a handful - not a good idea (yes, I learned the hard way a number of years ago when I had one strip a handful of frags before I could relocate it).
Other members of the Goby clan don't appear to have this specific of a dietary preference/requirement, so if you plan on keeping acros, I'd recommend another choice. I kinda like the Gobiodon atrangulatus - Green Clown Goby, as it pretty much stakes out its territory in a coral head and fends off any intruders. Others out there a pretty cool, too.
Might want to skim this paper for any planned purchase down the road, too. It can at least provide a starting point for a purchase decision.
Hope this helps a bit.
Cheers,
Ray :cool:

Attachments

• Impact of coral predators on tropical reefs_Marine Ecology Progress Series 367_73.pdf
    715.9 KB · Views: 12

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experiences:
These Gobies should not to go into an SPS tank. What happen in my tank was that they pair up and start to make a nest. They clean a patch at the base of the SPS, kill all the tissue there to lay eggs on. Since it is the base of the SPS, often this start RTN of that colonies.
That is my curse, all the fishes that I keep seem to start breeding in my tank.
For me: No Citron gobies in my tank.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back