Are DIY LEDs still a thing?

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That app varies by phone and paper defuser as well. cameras sensors are different and it's not cut and dry when they design that app. I have 3 different phones and they all came in slightly different. +/- 20%ish I put my iphone 13 up against a local reefers apogee, can't remember which one he had and my phone was about 5% off, so I'll take it - beats putting out $600

my whites came in, I quickly alligator clipped one in for a bit of a better picture. still have to play with settings. Looks awesome to the eye though!
age0.jpeg

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense though. I have an S22,which is newer the front camera optics are pretty good.

Seriously ? Wow that insane honestly.

Did you think to ever try a mint diode instead ? What I love about it is,it give you an great white light,I'd say probably a 14-15l color. Even with just royal blues,violets or any other color other than a white diode. Doesn't leave the light purpley like a warm white or neutral white would.

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense though. I have an S22,which is newer the front camera optics are pretty good.

Seriously ? Wow that insane honestly.

Did you think to ever try a mint diode instead ? What I love about it is,it give you an great white light,I'd say probably a 14-15l color. Even with just royal blues,violets or any other color other than a white diode. Doesn't leave the light purpley like a warm white or neutral white would.
I never even heard of a mint diode, not coming up on a search for me. Do you happen to have a link to one?
Thanks!

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never even heard of a mint diode, not coming up on a search for me. Do you happen to have a link to one?
Thanks!

Dave was the first and only to use mints in his NanoBox Reef arrays. Absolutely brilliant.

J1a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an updated version of the array:

2x Luxeon M Royal Blue (445-450nm),2x SemiLed Ultramarine Blue (440-445nm),2x Luxeon Rebel ES Royal Blue,1x SemiLed 385nm,1x 390-400nm,1x Semiled 400-410nm,1x SemiLed 410-420nm,1x Viosys 430nm. I think thats it lol.

20221008_132401.jpg

FTS 20221008_132927.jpg
Why not stretch the lower end to 365 nm ? In my experience, it is going to have a significant impact on the fluorescence.

Also, I bit of blue-cyan to round off the spectrum won't hurt as well.

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dave was the first and only to use mints in his NanoBox Reef arrays. Absolutely brilliant.

Very interesting, sad that nanobox/dave no longer making those lights. That C-mint is very tempting... kinda blows my $2 light out... hehe

This is part of why I LOVE DIY you really learn so much more than if you just purchase a box with promises. U can make something better, experiment, and still have $$ left over for corals :)

added ?
do your Luxeon M Royal Blue (445-450nm) compare to the c-mint, or is it just a different product entirely?
Thanks!

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not stretch the lower end to 365 nm ? In my experience, it is going to have a significant impact on the fluorescence.

Also, I bit of blue-cyan to round off the spectrum won't hurt as well.

I have never ventured that low,and finding a good binned led in that nm has been pricey from what I have seen.

I actually have a few luxeon rebel es cool blues and cyans and plan on making another diy light for my 10" cube and going to use them for that light. I plan on adding 1 cool blue to my current hybrid array to highlight the orange,reds,pinks when I start to stock.
Very interesting, sad that nanobox/dave no longer making those lights. That C-mint is very tempting... kinda blows my $2 light out... hehe

This is part of why I LOVE DIY you really learn so much more than if you just purchase a box with promises. U can make something better, experiment, and still have $$ left over for corals :)

added ?
do your Luxeon M Royal Blue (445-450nm) compare to the c-mint, or is it just a different product entirely?
Thanks!

I know,his lights were great. I have a Tide of his now but removed his array.

There is no comparison whatsoever. Mint is a goodish broad spectrum diode. But does an amazing job. Well if I had more than one I would just send you one no charge but unfortunately I only have one.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 37.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back