Are LEDs dangerous

mfbs1998

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 17, 2015
Messages
54
Reaction score
20
Location
america
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While this fairly sounds like a really stupid question, I was wondering on how dangerous are they. I have an ocean revive t247 and my dad recently questioned if it was safe to use it in the living room. I have my tank sit behind the couch so it kind of acts like a wall between the living room and meeting room. While I do understand that looking directly at the LEDs is super dangerous, what about the UV light portion of it?
 
While this fairly sounds like a really stupid question, I was wondering on how dangerous are they. I have an ocean revive t247 and my dad recently questioned if it was safe to use it in the living room. I have my tank sit behind the couch so it kind of acts like a wall between the living room and meeting room. While I do understand that looking directly at the LEDs is super dangerous, what about the UV light portion of it?
T5 and Metal Halide have a higher UV rating than OR t247. In fact LED have a hard time reaching sub 380nm without supplemental diode spectrum. Which the OR does not. I think you are safe :)
 
I don’t think looking at them is dangerous...otherwise, I’d be blind by now. I’ve looked at them, (glanced, not stared at them) for over ten years and I can still see fine.
 
I don’t think looking at them is dangerous...otherwise, I’d be blind by now. I’ve looked at them, (glanced, not stared at them) for over ten years and I can still see fine.
you've had LEDs since 2008? o.O I didn't think they were around till 2011 or so
 
you've had LEDs since 2008? o.O I didn't think they were around till 2011 or so

Yes, I retrofitted my 24g aquapod with leds when I was a freshman in college, which thinking about it might have been fall 08, but either way, I’ve not suffered any problems because of them.

I can’t remember the name of them for the life of me, but they were more aesthetic than anything. I remember bringing friends over and showing them all the different colors. *facepalm*
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 5.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new