Are LEDs dangerous

mfbs1998

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While this fairly sounds like a really stupid question, I was wondering on how dangerous are they. I have an ocean revive t247 and my dad recently questioned if it was safe to use it in the living room. I have my tank sit behind the couch so it kind of acts like a wall between the living room and meeting room. While I do understand that looking directly at the LEDs is super dangerous, what about the UV light portion of it?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While this fairly sounds like a really stupid question, I was wondering on how dangerous are they. I have an ocean revive t247 and my dad recently questioned if it was safe to use it in the living room. I have my tank sit behind the couch so it kind of acts like a wall between the living room and meeting room. While I do understand that looking directly at the LEDs is super dangerous, what about the UV light portion of it?
T5 and Metal Halide have a higher UV rating than OR t247. In fact LED have a hard time reaching sub 380nm without supplemental diode spectrum. Which the OR does not. I think you are safe :)

Bill_Moorman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think looking at them is dangerous...otherwise, I’d be blind by now. I’ve looked at them, (glanced, not stared at them) for over ten years and I can still see fine.

Bill_Moorman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you've had LEDs since 2008? o_O I didn't think they were around till 2011 or so

Yes, I retrofitted my 24g aquapod with leds when I was a freshman in college, which thinking about it might have been fall 08, but either way, I’ve not suffered any problems because of them.

I can’t remember the name of them for the life of me, but they were more aesthetic than anything. I remember bringing friends over and showing them all the different colors. *facepalm*

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back