Are LED's worth upgrading to from T5s?

CKI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am at the point of doing a bulb replacement on my ATI fixture. Just wondering if LEDs are the way to go now or if I am just as well off as doing a bulb swap

certain_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There a lot of things to consider with this kind of question. Things like running costs, what fixture, tank size and more all play a part.

T5s for me have been solid performers since originally running LEDs with only little success. Because of that, i would suggest getting bulbs and maybe upgrading something else lacking in your tank.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest doing the research to come to a conclusion.

I run Orphek never to look back

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've gone from running T5's for 5yrs to running LED's for the last year. I'll never go back to T5's. Having said this make sure you invest in the best unit you can afford. Cheap although will grow corals and give you great colors, they won't last very long.

dsmooth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made the switch from tek 6 bulb to maxspect razor and love it but it's only been a lil over a month so I'll be able to give a more accurate assessment a few months from now. I have an sps dominated tank. I noticed growth within the last week but it seems as if it's different from my T-5s. My chalices are really loving the new lights. Hope this helps, maybe someone that's been running them longer can chime in.

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quality Binned 5 watt Cree LEDs are the way to go. To this add some XP-E2 Cree for Colour.

If your not sure on a LED recipe...LED/T5 is a good transition.

Most do a 2:1 Royal Blue Cool White LED combo with a pair of T5 Fiji Purple for excellent results.

There are a lot of recipes and more opinions.

LEDs Do Grow. EBay LED Fixtures last just a bit longer than a T5 or MH Bulb

mike wilson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do some research on it before you switch. In my opinion I don't think you will be happy with just LEDs going from t5s. They are cheaper in the long run when you compare bulb cost and such but your Corals will take a long time getting acclimated to the new light and becoming happy again. I think you would have better success adding reefbrite actinics led strips to your current setup. Gives the led coral pop and the t5 color/growth your used to

jared graves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my LEDs and will never go back! I can't tell you for sure (though it sure seems) that they help coral grow better but what I can say is get something nice enough to adjust color blend and intensity and find what works best for the corals in your tank! For example if it's all sps you can have a very high light tank but if you have lps and your sand bed you will probably need to tone it down a little because the light output on my LEDs (2 165w Chinese units and 2 kessil 160we) is Insane! Wayyyy more light then I will ever need to blast into my tank. But it gives you the advantage of finding and intensity and color blend you and your corals like:)

jared graves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And also I can't stress this enough!!!!!! Acclimate your corals slowly! Start of with the light setting very low!! It will nuke your corals if you just turn them right up to an intensity you like! You should slowly work it up over a couple weeks

Tank2379

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think about it really hard. It's a on the fence question and many people feel one way and others feel other way between LED's and T-5. Cost is one, heat and keeping your tank cool. That is the main selling point for LED's also gives shimmer affect just like MH. I switch from LED's they worked out great for awhile maybe 2 years then my corals started to fade in color the intensity wasn't the same. I tried other LED Manufacturers with little or less results in growing coral. LOTS of people have been dumping the LED lately and going back to T5 or MH. Kessils and Maxspect has been a great starting point IMO to start with as a beginner LED unless you want a Fixture or something more technical like Radions. If you do want to switch like mentioned try going with a T5 LED Combo to get the transition going. IMO I wouldn't go full LED on any system. Do the research and make sure LED is they way to go with your tank in the end this Hobby is still expensive and cutting corners to save a buck can cost you even more in the long run.

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a few pics of an established SPS Tank using Cree LEDs for several years.

ft2013_zpsf5f116b3.jpg

tank2013-2_zpse21989db.jpg

tank2013-1_zpsab1b0481.jpg

Bill

reefknight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its debated topic right now. I too have an ATI fixture and run all ATI T5 lamps. Have great color and great growth rates out of all of my corals. I can't run all 10 lamps at once without actually bleaching some or causing issues with LPS and ZnP's for that matter. I have often wondered the same thing that you have, but have always stayed with the T5's.

A couple of reasons, I have a AI Sol Blue on a separate cube system. I have set up and broken down twice over the course of 3yrs. The first go around I couldn't keep anything under it. Either bleached or browned and withered away. Since I have restarted it for my son, its done a bit better. Keeping mainly ZnP's and a couple of monti's. Just hasn't knocked my socks off. Don't get me wrong, I know we're talking an out of date fixture.

Next, I am a believer that it takes more than one source of light. I believe that the best light would have a blend of all lighting technologies. For instance if you ever have a chance stop by Worldwide Coral. Their main display has metal halide, T5's and LED's and I believe that is what makes that display so successful and effective. If power consumption and heat was not an issue metal halide would still be a choice for many of us. I personally would liked to have seen more of the respected companies make an honest effort to blend the remaining technologies; T5 and LED. Kessil's new forthcoming AP700 fixture appears to be a thing of beauty. For reason I instantly think it needs a couple of T5's added to it. Personal choice? Bias? Probably.

My other reason is every display I see that is illuminated has either frags or large colonies of corals that are colored beautifully. Okay, that is fantastic. (ReefLEDLights, my comment is not directed towards you. Please do not take any offense. I have seen this practice several times in discussion threads. Love your store and appreciate your sponsorship here at R2R.) But were those corals actually grown out from frags with those lights? Have they grown since those lights have been installed? Are they just maintaining the color of the coral that was already there? If its a display of frags, how long till we see softball size or larger colonies with LED's?

These are the questions I ask myself when I begin to sway and think I want to go LED. Then I read all the threads where people have jumped ship and abandoned LED's and have returned to T5's. Not sure if I have given you any answers or more questions or possibly just another point of view. So at the end of the day, I am on the fence with you.

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going with a hybrid T5 / LED fixture soon. However my SPS keeping goes further than just lights.

mgdmirage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing beats T5s in my book. I ran LEDs for over a year and never got the color and growth I had from T5s. You already have a top line fixture, stick with the best imo. Awesome color, thick growth pattern and industry proven coral growing performance.

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I'm personally noticing more and more with folks who are finding success with LEDs. If you look at a lot of tanks around here that are successful with LEDs you'll notice waaaay more LEDs then recommended and coming from all different angles. I'm personally of the belief that if you're just looking to hang a couple of LED lights over the middle of your tank and call it a day your chance of success is lower then those who are shooting the LEDs in from all different angles and sides. It may not look the greatest, but appears to be the most effective.

glweek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im with mgdmirage.

I tried the LED game for two years and went back to T5 about a month ago. I really gave it a go but just not happy with growth or how healthy the coral looked. Ideal would be T5 with LED supplement, im already missing the pop!

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its debated topic right now. I too have an ATI fixture and run all ATI T5 lamps. Have great color and great growth rates out of all of my corals. I can't run all 10 lamps at once without actually bleaching some or causing issues with LPS and ZnP's for that matter. I have often wondered the same thing that you have, but have always stayed with the T5's.

A couple of reasons, I have a AI Sol Blue on a separate cube system. I have set up and broken down twice over the course of 3yrs. The first go around I couldn't keep anything under it. Either bleached or browned and withered away. Since I have restarted it for my son, its done a bit better. Keeping mainly ZnP's and a couple of monti's. Just hasn't knocked my socks off. Don't get me wrong, I know we're talking an out of date fixture.

Next, I am a believer that it takes more than one source of light. I believe that the best light would have a blend of all lighting technologies. For instance if you ever have a chance stop by Worldwide Coral. Their main display has metal halide, T5's and LED's and I believe that is what makes that display so successful and effective. If power consumption and heat was not an issue metal halide would still be a choice for many of us. I personally would liked to have seen more of the respected companies make an honest effort to blend the remaining technologies; T5 and LED. Kessil's new forthcoming AP700 fixture appears to be a thing of beauty. For reason I instantly think it needs a couple of T5's added to it. Personal choice? Bias? Probably.

My other reason is every display I see that is illuminated has either frags or large colonies of corals that are colored beautifully. Okay, that is fantastic. (ReefLEDLights, my comment is not directed towards you. Please do not take any offense. I have seen this practice several times in discussion threads. Love your store and appreciate your sponsorship here at R2R.) But were those corals actually grown out from frags with those lights? Have they grown since those lights have been installed? Are they just maintaining the color of the coral that was already there? If its a display of frags, how long till we see softball size or larger colonies with LED's?

These are the questions I ask myself when I begin to sway and think I want to go LED. Then I read all the threads where people have jumped ship and abandoned LED's and have returned to T5's. Not sure if I have given you any answers or more questions or possibly just another point of view. So at the end of the day, I am on the fence with you.

reefknight

Well Said...

The posted pics are from a customer who has used our LEDs for several years then added more.

As far as LEDs go I'm in the MH camp. Sanjay did some excellent research on MH Spectrum and we used this and other research to develop the best mix to replicate MH lighting.

I can say on my personal 550gal reef, Going all LED has saved me 20 amps and a lot of unwelcome heat.

This mix or as we like to call it a recipe is only one way to light a reef.

Reef Keeping is not an inexpensive hobby. Many have tried cheap pumps, skimmers and lights only to replace with something that works better.

Any aggressive change in lighting or poor environment can cause bleaching. Corals especially SPS are very sensitive to changes in light.

Given the spectrum limits of the ocean, corals with proper acclimation do very well under a 20K mix of LEDs, T5 or MH.

Back in the 80s while on a scuba diving trip in Florida, I saw an amazing LPS tank in a LFS lit by only 420nm 110watt VHO actinics. These were well grown over the size of a salt bucket.

There are a lot of ways to say skin a cat...Why would anyone want to do this literally? ...reef lighting has a lot of options.

Bill

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back