Are marble tiles safe?

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if this has been gone over before but I couldn't find it, but are marble tiles safe to use as frag tiles. Its the regular whitish colored stuff with the veines running through it. I've run out of frag tiles and have a ton of those marble floor tiles, not polished just a dull smooth finish. Thanks:bigsmile:

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the ceramic ones are used but never really heard of anyone using marble.

Nice cham btw. Is that a Jacksons? we have a 1 yr old veiled!

OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one sells frag tiles localy and I've got a ton of the marble just sitting around. I have to frag a chalice and have not one tile, aside from the marble.

He's a nosy be blue panther cahameleon the jacksons have horns. I had a pair of veiled a while back, they're all cool.

shapermike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Garrett's Acropolis uses marble and he cuts it up in to smaller pieces. he likes them because there heavy and with his frag tank they dont move around with the flow he has. He uses the white marble and he has had no issues. he farms all his frags out side in the sun in Cali

Last edited:
OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, if thats the case then I'll probably never have to buy frag tiles again. Thanks

nayrgaijin

Aquaculture Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best thing about Marble Tile is it's made of Calcium Carbonate !
AKA, your acans will grow on it faster than having to reproduce its own skeleton !

wishntoboutside

Snow flake
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Have just finished a bathroom remodel and trying to be green all of the unused travertine will be used as frag mounts. I soaked pieces in water and tested for p04 and after a few weeks still nothing. but then again I don't know what else I should have tested for. I have not killed anything yet.

nayrgaijin

Aquaculture Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At one of the LFS I use to work at we used them for everything. Zoas, acans, and sps. They worked really well and we never had problems :)

Titan$

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nayrgaijin,

At the fish store you guys used travertine or marble? Is travertine a type of marble?

nayrgaijin

Aquaculture Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marble like from Home Depot, IDK what travertine is sorry Titan$ :)
Works so good for fragging stuff, just scrape off the coral with a box cutter !

OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think travertine is a tumbled marble, to give it that rustic look. It should be the same stuff.

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used some marble tiles in the past. They worked out pretty good but getting the glue backing off of them can be a bit of a pain.

fragTiles.jpg

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used some marble tiles in the past. They worked out pretty good but getting the glue backing off of them can be a bit of a pain.

I use the ceramic tiles from Lowe's and I boil mine. Gets all the paper and glue off. Pour the water off and rinse well and boil again. Keep boiling and rinsing until the water remains clear when boiling. I did notice a little more algae when I didn't clean all the glue off.

Russ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have actually been using marble tile for about a year now. I don't use the small tiles, so I don't have to worry about the glue on them. Instead, I buy a full size 12" x 12" tile for about a buck. I then use a cutoff wheel to score it, and I can make the mounts any size/shape I want; or, if I'm lazy, I can just drop the tile and get all random sizes. In either case, it's nice to have a sanding wheel handy to take the sharp edges off. All in all, I really prefer the marble tile for cost, versatility, and the added weight it provides. And yes, acans and the like do seem to prefer it IME.

BayCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a study on natural Marble/Granite. They found that a lot of these natural stones release Radon gases, so keep that in mind when you decide to use it. I'm not saying that all marble and granite releases radon and it will kill your corals, but it's good information to know.

Hung

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back