• Total voters

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bear with me for a moment…

When I was a kid I learned music theory and took lessons on many instruments (piano, guitar, trombone). In my elementary school band we always had sheet music for practice and concerts. One summer day, at a local fair, I watched my uncle’s rock band performing the hits of the time (the 1970s). The band was excellent. After the show, I asked the guitar player how they played without sheet music. He laughed heartily saying, “I can't even read music.” Huh? What? I was dumbfounded. How could he possibly play guitar? Years later I understood, it was patterns, practice, patience and a pretty good ear. The wow factor of the point made a big impact on me.

Reef keepers are like rock guitarists, we create and maintain amazing displays, but we often do so without knowing all the fundamentals.

It fascinates me how reefers can be very knowledgeable in some areas of the hobby and know almost nothing about other areas. Sometimes they maintain beautiful reefs without the slightest idea about some basic principles. Additionally, what some deem crucial, others ignore.

As I start up a new reef aquarium after years away from the hobby, I think of this often. I had freshwater tanks at a young, single digit age. I started my first saltwater aquarium in college. I worked at a fish store for a year. I know how to calculate dosing solutions and precisely what the ppm change will be. I can change out an LED bulb. I can ID many of the critters in live rock. Etcetera, etcetera. I have experience in many areas of this hobby.

However, there is a huge amount of information, some pretty important, that I know little about. For example, fish diseases and treatment, breeding, the importance of all of the trace elements. Additionally, there are new technologies and devices I have never used.

There are some reef keepers who know the fundamentals at an expert level. They can read the music. Still, few folks ask @Randy Holmes-Farley about LED fixtures, or @Dana Riddle about fish diseases (no offense, gentlemen).

@mdbannister posted a few days ago “…it’s info like this that makes me think maybe I'm still a "noob" on some of this stuff! (here)” You and us all Daniel! No one, even the smartest, knows everything about this hobby.

@Paul B recently had a post that was one of those honest, perfect summations that hits one’s brain heavy. It was right at the time I was thinking about writing this thread:
“Another thing about science and things you read is that for many years I have been submitting articles to paper magazines and the internet and in every case, with no checking what so ever my stuff has been published as fact. I am an electrician. That is the extent of my formal marine biology training. I could have read this stuff off an orange juice container. Just Google my name and put fish after it, there is all sorts of stuff I wrote that no one checked or questioned (here).”

Because Paul has had long, long term success with his tank, we cannot help but listen to what the electrician says. Even if it is from a box of OJ. It leads to a good question: Is our anecdotal experience as important as the scientific data available?

I think so. This is a hobby, a young hobby. It is growing and maturing right now because of reefers. Scientific research into reef keeping will likely come from the few reefers who research it academically and the companies who are spending money on R&D. A lot of people from both categories are active on this site. It makes me very optimistic. Our anecdotal experience is what is driving innovation right now.

So are reefers smart?

The answer is yes. Reefers are very smart. They must be. They are innovative having created the hobby itself along the way. Reefing incorporates all of the sciences. We are amateur (and often professional) biologists, chemists and physicists. That is what makes this forum great. Its intelligence (Facebook may have a more massive user base, but I would put our brain power up against them in their entirety any day). In my time here there have been moments where it feels like the entire hobby is adapting to new ideas and data in real time. That is the power of the reefer.

The notes on the sheet music have limits. Rock and roll has no limits.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent.

I voted 'a lot to learn'

I've been at this since the early 80's... maybe someday I'll know something.

I'm an analytical kind of a guy. Industrial software engineer. Problem solver. I read, research, weigh the options... and choose (mostly wrong).

I've got friends in the hobby that have nowhere near the experience that I have, but are quite successful in the hobby. Add in BROKE friends with no experience, that are successful. That's why I push the point of view that effort, enthusiasm, and good basic husbandry are at least as important as being able to throw money at it, or having a wealth of knowledge at hand. BRS keeps talking about lazy reefers... Ok, work smart, not hard, I get that... but effort counts in this hobby. Pay more attention to the TV than your aquarium, and you're very unlikely to succeed in this hobby.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be clear, I am NOT saying I am smart. I am trying to learn all I can despite whatever experience I have. I am saying collectively, reefers are an intelligent group of folks. I think this forum is excellent mostly as a resource of generally intelligent people.

tiggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like maintaining a reef requires a certain type of person. You have to be somewhat well rounded since there are elements of biology, chemistry, technology, plumbing and electrical all wrapped up into one hobby. You also have to be able to adapt to a plethora of different situations quickly and adjust on the fly. Then most importantly (IMO anyway), you have to be able to navigate away from your traditional thinking at times.

I'll elaborate a bit on that last bit. In the reef world, consistency is an absolute must and we train ourselves to get into doing things in a very routine way. The funny bit is that there's still a TON we don't know about the science behind the systems we keep. The reef world is something that's constantly evolving and we have to be willing to deviate from traditional ways of doing things sometimes. Just earlier today, I was reading a thread that criticized the "sand experts" of the early 2000s for DSBs. We obviously now know that DSBs can lead to disaster, but that was considered best practice at the time. It wasn't like this was some wild idea that a bunch of lunatics were pushing others to do. It was widely accepted as the most beneficial way to keep your substrate. Since then, we've learned, evolved, and do things better now. It's not going to stop there either, because I guarantee 10 years from now, we'll learn something that we're all currently doing is a big no-no and the reef scene will shift to another direction that we find more beneficial. In turn, the folks coming up around that time will criticize what we did and the cycle will repeat itself.

My point is that the best long term reef keepers are the ones that will do things in a consistent way, but are also willing to adapt and change their methods as the hobby evolves and we make new breakthroughs. It's really easy to just start off and learn the current best practices for everything. What's hard is when you've been around for a while and you have to learn to differentiate when something new is just a fad or if it's the beginning of a new better way of doing things. Intelligence is definitely a part of it, but the tricky part is being both dynamic and consistent at the same time.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We obviously now know that DSBs can lead to disaster, but that was considered best practice at the time. It wasn't like this was some wild idea that a bunch of lunatics were pushing others to do. It was widely accepted as the most beneficial way to keep your substrate. Since then, we've learned, evolved, and do things better now. It's not going to stop there either, because I guarantee 10 years from now, we'll learn something that we're all currently doing is a big no-no and the reef scene will shift to another direction that we find more beneficial. In turn, the folks coming up around that time will criticize what we did and the cycle will repeat itself.

Having lived through the wet/dry era, the DSB era, and now looking at a bunch of bare bottom tanks (again!).... I can relate :)

I would note that DSB is a very effective method of maintaining a reef, for a while, anyway.

I would note that the basic ideas of live rock and protein skimming from the 'Berlin method' era, and even before then, are still going strong. Were a reefer from that era to look at my current system, they'd find much that was familiar. The basic goal, trying to emulate the stability of water conditions on a reef, has never really changed, just the tools and techniques used to achieve that goal.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 114 81.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.3%
Back