Are scolys worth it?

FriendoFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am soooo tempted to get a scoly. Their colors are so beautiful and I love the way they eat. But they are soooo expensive. So I’m just wondering if people think they’re worth the price/hype?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like them! I will probably be getting another one at some point

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love them! I have had a lot of success fragging them but it’s a long process... you use a coral saw to cut them like a pizza and the pieces regrow into the original circle shape. This is very dangerous for the coral though and not all pieces make it through the process. Back when I worked at an LFS I was able to try this and I had about a 60% success rate. They take at least a year to regrow into the circle shape depending on how large the original one was. I believe WWC sells frags occasionally.

Personally, I have 3 scolies and the most expensive one was $99. One orange with blue stripes, one pinkish/orangey solid color one, and one that’s purple with a pink center and blue/turquoise stripes. I love them and I think they look beautiful. If you like it then go for it! Not everything is about profit.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worth it....
I bought two very tiny fingernail tip pieces from a well known vendor and paid a hefty price. The photo of the mother colony was so unique. Years later I’m glad I did purchase, very colorful and I’m still watching to see what they grow into, not your normal round scoly. I did frag one of them with a scalpel, all pieces survived. I only feed them pellets once a week or a little longer. They get LRS frozen from what floats around in the water and KZ LPS drop.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True, money isn't everything but not having it is. Some of us have to make our reefs pay for themselves or we wouldn't be able to afford them
If you’re looking to make a profit, sps and zoas are your money makers. Euphyllia grows too slowly (although if you invest in some nice buy not over priced pieces your ROI is pretty good) and LPS is difficult to frag without a saw. Sps you can just snap off pieces and it’s easy as pie, and if you grow the zoas on a frag tile they’re super easy to just scrape off and glue.

Personally, I have a lot of corals that I can frag, but I also like some corals that are just for me like my RFAs, scolies, lobos, etc. I understand about the money situation (I’m 16 and jobless so selling coral is the only way I’m able to support my hobby) but Id prefer to have a scoly that I love to look at than a bunch of sps/zoas that I think are meh.

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife likes the look of scoly's. If letting her pick one for the tank makes her happy I will do it. However I don't buy them because I can't propagate them.

OP
OP
FriendoFish

FriendoFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re looking to make a profit, sps and zoas are your money makers. Euphyllia grows too slowly (although if you invest in some nice buy not over priced pieces your ROI is pretty good) and LPS is difficult to frag without a saw. Sps you can just snap off pieces and it’s easy as pie, and if you grow the zoas on a frag tile they’re super easy to just scrape off and glue.

Personally, I have a lot of corals that I can frag, but I also like some corals that are just for me like my RFAs, scolies, lobos, etc. I understand about the money situation (I’m 16 and jobless so selling coral is the only way I’m able to support my hobby) but Id prefer to have a scoly that I love to look at than a bunch of sps/zoas that I think are meh.

Yah this is kinda my problem too. I really love the look of lobos, scolys, etc. but I am in college and only work part time for minimum wage. I think the most I’ve ever paid for a single coral was like $50? But my birthday is coming up and I’ve always wanted a scoly so I’m wondering if it’s worth it to save up (which I guess is more of a personal choice...) I do have a frogspawn with 10+ heads that I was gifted that’s honestly getting a little big for my tank so maybe I can frag/sell some of those and offset the price? I’ve never sold corals before...

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yah this is kinda my problem too. I really love the look of lobos, scolys, etc. but I am in college and only work part time for minimum wage. I think the most I’ve ever paid for a single coral was like $50? But my birthday is coming up and I’ve always wanted a scoly so I’m wondering if it’s worth it to save up (which I guess is more of a personal choice...) I do have a frogspawn with 10+ heads that I was gifted that’s honestly getting a little big for my tank so maybe I can frag/sell some of those and offset the price? I’ve never sold corals before...
Selling corals is easy breezy, everybody wants to buy corals. Just make sure whatever you’re selling has been healed for a couple weeks and is 100% healthy. Try to sell locally first, easier than trying to hassle with shipping and DOA and stuff. Best of luck to you and happy early birthday!

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I HIGHLY recommend a dremel for fragging frogspawn. It can be done without one but it's a pain. It's awesome buying new coral with $ you get from selling frags!

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like bonecutters for the branching euphyllias, the heads snap right off! If you have a LFS that you’re friends with (not a Petco type place, like a dedicated fish store) they may frag it for you. I have to do this when I want to sell LPS because I don’t have a coral saw and they do. Lots of ways to frag a frogspawn!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 51 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back