Are T5 LEDS same as T5 Fluorescents?

Uzair Aiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.
I know that T5 fluorescent grow corals. But recently after some snooping around at the lights shop, Ive found out that the boxes claim T5 LEDs.
Are these the same? Because the box seem to have claimed they have 6500K on them, which is one indication that they are full spectrum(?)
Mind you, I am a beginner and lights are a bit like a void that I still need to study.
Ive found a blue T5 LED and a Daylight T5 LED which I plan to put them next to each other for a light fixture.
Am I wrong here somewhere?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never heard someone using t5 leds for a reef tank. I am pretty sure that what you are talking about is a bunch of led diodes placed inside a tube that can fit t5 fixtures.

Are these reef lights you are looking at, or just generic blue leds/bulbs and such

OP
OP
Uzair Aiman

Uzair Aiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never heard someone using t5 leds for a reef tank. I am pretty sure that what you are talking about is a bunch of led diodes placed inside a tube that can fit t5 fixtures.

Are these reef lights you are looking at, or just generic blue leds/bulbs and such
JUst generic lights, are they the same?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most led/t5 bars if not all never really worked out to replace t5s and most got discontinued as a result

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most led/t5 bars if not all never really worked out to replace t5s and most got discontinued as a result
yea, they tried.. ;)

Biggest problem was 12w =39W
Not on the best of days..

Anyways if they ever got the power density up and the heat didn't kill the electronics inside it could work.
AND were reasonably priced.
You can put any diode colors you want in them.
Looks like they are still sold and still underpowered..
Old stock?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The par for LED T5s or the par for generic T5 fluorescent bulbs?

@oreo5457 would better know the answer to this question as to how these perform as oreo seems to be more familiar with these

Typically lights not made for reefing usually are either the wrong spectrum, have low par values, or some combination of both. It is very difficult to tell the actual par values of a light by using your eyes alone, and most non reefing lights are probably not going to have information for you on how they perform in the application you are looking to use them for.

OP
OP
Uzair Aiman

Uzair Aiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@oreo5457 would better know the answer to this question as to how these perform as oreo seems to be more familiar with these

Typically lights not made for reefing usually are either the wrong spectrum, have low par values, or some combination of both. It is very difficult to tell the actual par values of a light by using your eyes alone, and most non reefing lights are probably not going to have information for you on how they perform in the application you are looking to use them for.
So my best bet is to just go and find Reef T5 lights?

OP
OP
Uzair Aiman

Uzair Aiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That or reef led lights. Most people are using LED lights these days but either works. A lot of times its just personal preference.
LED lights just seem abit more expensive. Im planning on making a 4 foot tank, where 2 LED fixtures would be needed. Thats why Im looking into 4 foot T5s. Just getting confused if I can buy generic blue and white T5 fluorescent bulbs or not

ifarmer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you plan on doing just fish only, or water & rocks only then that kind of LED T5 that you was talking about should be okay.
Otherwise, for reef, corals tank, I would do either T5 or reef LED (example: like Ecotech, reefbuilder, aquaticlife....etc) or (both LED and T5 hybrid).
hope that makes sense.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well I'm just familiar in the physics of those.. It is frankly unlikely to get the equiv # of photons out of an 8W led vs a 24W t5 with decent reflectors. Now 2 vs 1 probably.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LED lights just seem abit more expensive. Im planning on making a 4 foot tank, where 2 LED fixtures would be needed. Thats why Im looking into 4 foot T5s. Just getting confused if I can buy generic blue and white T5 fluorescent bulbs or not

If the t5 is cheaper and hanging the light isn't an issue, then it sounds like that would be your best option. I would stick to t5's specifically made for reef tanks, as you will be guaranteed success.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, this entire hobby is expensive. Buying generic bulbs will likely result in more algae and dying corals. Depending on what coral you want to keep, there are some modestly priced LED bars (like Beamswork for example) that could work for a soft coral tank...

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

you can do budget led. Two smatfarm on Amazon would do it.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can do budget led. Two smatfarm on Amazon would do it.

Those, nicrew, or led bars like orphek or quanta are great for the price. I'm not sure though how much these are in the op's country or their availability there

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back