midgetracer

midgetracer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to but it’s usually just too dang hot here! :(
Yes I understand the heat here in Connecticut in the summer even in my basement I run a fish pump with a bag of ice or two to chill my fermenters to keep them at 70° so you end up not having beer taste like butter scotch from diacetyl same principle as why we run a chiller on our reef tanks they make chillers for beer just didn’t wanna spend the money

OP
OP
midgetracer

midgetracer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever brewed mead? I'm a beekeeper that's never brewed anything before so I was wondering if you'd have any tips for a newbie.
Yes I have ! I have done it twice you have to keep racking it to make it clarifies the longer you wait the better it comes out in the cleaner it comes out basically the same as making Hard cider I will look and see if I have the recipe that I used and can post a picture of it if you would like

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have ! I have done it twice you have to keep racking it to make it clarifies the longer you wait the better it comes out in the cleaner it comes out basically the same as making Hard cider I will look and see if I have the recipe that I used and can post a picture of it if you would like
Thank you thats really good to know! And yes please that would be wicked. Btw that one slick, clean looking setup you have!

OP
OP
midgetracer

midgetracer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever brewed mead? I'm a beekeeper that's never brewed anything before so I was wondering if you'd have any tips for a newbie.
That would be so incredibly cool to make meat from your own honey that you harvest yourself I purchased jars from a local beekeeper and bought yeast and the stuff that I needed from the local brew shop which happens to be close friends this is the recipe and process that I used any of the sanitizers and yeast that you need to make everything sterile you can purchase at a local brew shop I’ll post a picture of the recipe that I used

Attachments

• D3FA9963-E12D-4B82-9435-BDAC3A3BC81C.jpeg
    D3FA9963-E12D-4B82-9435-BDAC3A3BC81C.jpeg
    171.9 KB · Views: 7

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I brewed a handful of batches about 7 years ago. Dunkelweis, pale ale, wee light, and wee heavy. All extract kits. But my family greatly enjoyed them, and they’re not really beer people like me.

I really want to get back into home brewing. I’d like to have nicer equipment this time (one of those conical stainless steel fermenting tanks for example). But, as my better half is already telling me I’m to irresponsible with money as I try to get my build set up, I figure I should wait a bit longer if I want to remain in the realm of mortals. Planning on getting back into it once my tank has been set up and matured enough to be relatively stable (a year or two in).

I really do miss it though. It’s a lot of fun. And honestly, if you can cook, or reef for that matter, you should be able to brew. Just follow the recipe and be a stickler for sanitizing, maintaining fermentation temps, etc

OP
OP
midgetracer

midgetracer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I like Modelo Especial and this other one called Crawford Bock.

With a little salt and lime of course.:p
Mondello especial is a really good beer Negra Modelo‘s even better however the lime in top of the be an American thing they only put the lime in the top of the beer to keep the bugs out
I brewed a handful of batches about 7 years ago. Dunkelweis, pale ale, wee light, and wee heavy. All extract kits. But my family greatly enjoyed them, and they’re not really beer people like me.

I really want to get back into home brewing. I’d like to have nicer equipment this time (one of those conical stainless steel fermenting tanks for example). But, as my better half is already telling me I’m to irresponsible with money as I try to get my build set up, I figure I should wait a bit longer if I want to remain in the realm of mortals. Planning on getting back into it once my tank has been set up and matured enough to be relatively stable (a year or two in).

I really do miss it though. It’s a lot of fun. And honestly, if you can cook, or reef for that matter, you should be able to brew. Just follow the recipe and be a stickler for sanitizing, maintaining fermentation

OP
OP
midgetracer

midgetracer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mondello especial is a really good beer Negra Modelo‘s even better however the lime in top of the be an American thing they only put the lime in the top of the beer to keep the bugs out
Are used to have group parties on Saturday or Sunday at my house everybody would bring something very special that you couldn’t buy in the store and we were at brew on Orgreen batch 5 to 7 hours put it in the fermenter and come back two weeks later to keg and industry the beer after we had carbonized it
so trew

Poof No Eyebrows

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the mash down and the fermenting process however I am concerned about the head
You talking about the heads when you first run? It's really no big deal. Just throw out the first few ounces. Or you can rub your fingers together until they don't feel oily. Same with the tales. The whole nonsense about going blind is an old proabition wives tale. What it does do is effect the taste / quality.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 72 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back