Are these AEFW?

VelasCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 22, 2010
Messages
2,089
Reaction score
363
Location
Raleigh, NC
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few weeks ago I added a Koran Angle and noticed my SPS a little chewed up. Once I noticed that I sold the fish. The coral started to recover and was growing back around the skeleton the fish ate down to so I didn't think much of it. Today I noticed these tiny things attached to the SPS that was chewed up by the Angle.

They are flesh colored and act like tiny flower petals attached to the coral. I only noticed them because they were flapping in the wind (so to speak). I cut the coral off the rock and dipped it in Revive to see what would happen. I left the coral in there with a lot of Revive for hours to see if anything would come off. I also very closely inspected the base of the coral and could not find any egg sacks. The base well still well encrusted and looked normal before cutting it off.

A few hours later nothing was in the clear dish and the little flower petal things were still there and would flap around with the movement of the water.

On another note, all the other SPS in the tank look great. I have purchased cheap browned out acro frags at fish stores and the color up amazingly.

Are these AEFW?

sps-1.jpg
 
No they are not. You will not be able to see AEFW with the naked eye while they are on the acro. Also that looks more like a birdnest or pocilliopora, which AEFW do not attack. Lastly if they were ant type of pest a long dip in Revive, would have knocked them off the coral.

As for what that is, its tough to tell. There seems to be some recession, is it possibly coral tissue or algae on dead skeleton?
 
Oh yeah Duh. It is a birds nest. The recession was from the Angel. One day there was a was bright white skeleton and then it turned darker when algae started to grow on it. Then after that the flesh started to grow back over the spots that were eaten.

I wonder if it some type of macro algae.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new