Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most LFS are total money grabbers and or just dont know anything about what they are talking about. Usually they also are confident/arrogant so it is easy to just believe what they say. First take that rock out and chuck it and buy some new rock and fritzyme 9 as well. i wouldnt go back to that store

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most LFS are total money grabbers and or just dont know anything about what they are talking about. Usually they also are confident/arrogant so it is easy to just believe what they say. First take that rock out and chuck it and buy some new rock and fritzyme 9 as well. i wouldnt go back to that store
+1 to this, most LFS will tell you whatever they think will get them a sale

OP
OP
The_Phoenix

The_Phoenix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish it wasn't like this. I guess they make most of their money from death.
That really sucks. I’m sure I don’t need to tell everyone how much I spent for these because we all know corals aren’t cheap. When I get home tonight I will do a water change (50% be too much?) and remove all of the lava rock. I had already been putting the live bacteria (Can’t remember the name but starts with an F) and all of my levels were fine last time I checked because of it. Do you think I need more of the bacteria if, after my water change and removing the lava rock, my parameters are still okay? I will post them as soon as I get home.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How new is your aquarium? You'll need to test your water's chemistry. 50% is very excessive. This is kind of a critical situation though. How many lbs of actual live rock do you have? How large is your aquarium?

OP
OP
The_Phoenix

The_Phoenix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How new is your aquarium? You'll need to test your water's chemistry. 50% is very excessive. This is kind of a critical situation though. How many lbs of actual live rock do you have? How large is your aquarium?
The tank is about 8-9 weeks old. It is a 12g cube with I’d say roughly 5 lbs of live rock. That might be low though because I didn’t have room since I had lava rock in there too.

OP
OP
The_Phoenix

The_Phoenix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a shot of the whole tank. The purple is live rock and the other two are lava

Attachments

• 007CD274-90DA-4932-AC8A-500B563FAF8C.jpeg
    007CD274-90DA-4932-AC8A-500B563FAF8C.jpeg
    270.5 KB · Views: 45

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's a lot of lava rock for 12 gallons.
Put some Polyfilter pads in and start swapping the rock slowly so as not to destroy your biological filter
I would do this and a 30% water change ever other day. You'll want to premix the salt. Fresh salt water is usually very corrosive. Watch to see if the corals respond to any of that.

OP
OP
The_Phoenix

The_Phoenix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put some Polyfilter pads in and start swapping the rock slowly so as not to destroy your biological filter
Even if the other rock is harmful to the corals, I should take 1 out at a time? Just wanting to be clear because I’ve tried everything trying to get these corals to be happy & healthy.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Even if the other rock is harmful to the corals, I should take 1 out at a time? Just wanting to be clear because I’ve tried everything trying to get these corals to be happy & healthy.
If you can find poly filter in a lfs, yes. There's a lot of metals leached into your system

Poly-Filter.jpg

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id go slow
And do one at a time
Polyfilter absorbs metals
Carbon may help as well
Don’t see corals at this point and I wouldn’t add any until this process is resolved
Just keep your biological filter healthy
Go slow

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here’s a shot of the whole tank. The purple is live rock and the other two are lava
You can get this under control. It's going to take some patience. So
Id go slow
And do one at a time
Carbon may help as well
Don’t see corals at this point and I wouldn’t add any until this process is resolved
Go slow
Pretty solid advice to follow here.

OP
OP
The_Phoenix

The_Phoenix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id go slow
And do one at a time
Carbon may help as well
Go slow
You can get this under control. It's going to take some patience. So

Pretty solid advice to follow here.
Do you guys think my corals will make it out alive, or should I just focus on getting my tank stable?

OP
OP
The_Phoenix

The_Phoenix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NP. Hope things clear up for you.
Update: My water parameters are now:
PH: 8.2
Ammonia: <.25 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 5 ppm
Phosphate: 0 ppm
KH: 179 ppm
Calcium: 520 ppm

I also added the polyfilter and carbon to the filter. The Zoa is the only coral that remains alive in the tank. The others smelled like absolute death. The lava rocks have both been removed as well. The water looks much clearer (like glass) The Zoa still has not opened, however. Any further advice? Also, here is an updated tank shot!

Attachments

• 7F3B2ECD-2E81-4C7C-80FA-EC82A19529F6.jpeg
    7F3B2ECD-2E81-4C7C-80FA-EC82A19529F6.jpeg
    201.3 KB · Views: 41

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back