Are you a Monogamist Aquarist? Or do you share the love?

One or Multiple?

• One tank forever!

Votes: 92 39.0%
  • I need variety in my life! Fresh, salt, brackish... whateva!

Votes: 144 61.0%

• Total voters

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you dedicate yourself to a single tank? Or do you have multiples?
I've juggled multiple tanks before, but it usually doesn't last for long and I go back to a single setup.
I feel like I just can't give the proper attention to more than one tank at a time.
How about you?

Palyzoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im the same way, I get these ideas and want to start 3 or 4 different tanks. Then I realize I can't give them all the proper care and go back to just 1 or 2 that I can manage. I do think that the hobby is much more advanced these days which does make it easier to automate and manage multiple systems at a time. The cost to do this however can be expensive.

Phelipe's Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to keep myself busy so if i have just one tank I end up doing stuff I regret like cutting up coral frags or rescaping because of boredom[emoji16]. Share the love all the way haha. Two 150 planted tanks, Pico Reef, and a 30 cube Reef. Wouldnt have it any other way

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thought of multiple separate Systems gives me anxiety. I could handle several tanks hooked together, like a display, with a frag tank or two. One set of water tests. Follow up question. Do you still have a high probability of passing pests along if you have a frag tank plumbed with a display if you use said frag tank as a observation/coral quarantine tank?

Adele

I don't sing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was doing a 29 QT/misc tank in addition to my 90 but it was too much. I was alternating water changes each week and eventually the QT set up fell by the wayside, GHA set in and I had some kind of harmless flatworm infestation so I shut it down and moved the inverts that had been calling it home to the big house. I will most likely only use it for temp QT when needed in the future or I have been toying with the idea of a simple freshwater set up.

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one at home and another at work right now, this I find doable. But in the past multiple separate systems at home (even a qt) sucks the life out of the hobby for me. Strange how that works isn’t it? Lol

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Already had 5 freshwater tanks before I got into saltwater. Now I have added 2 reef tanks to the mix. Takes up a lot of my time. Ultimately I plan to downsize to 2 planted tanks and the 2 reefs. Just can't bring myself to tear down any of them. I really love them all. All 7 tanks are in the "man cave", and I can sit in my swivel recliner and gaze adoringly at any of them from one spot.

cgdcinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 gallon community freshwater tank. 55 gallon Mbuna cichlid tank. 29 gallon reef and a 50 gallon reef.
I have gotten all of them down to fairly low maintenance but they still require a full day out of the week for care. Once I got the reef tanks down to one water change a month it’s been easier to manage. It’s a way for me to manage stress from work taking care of the tanks.

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2, a 187 main SPS dominant mixed reef and a small 13.5 gallon for my office that is softy with a couple of acans and chalices. The main has a scrubber and fuge with skimmer and calcium rx, carbon rx, and apex programmed. The other gets weekly/biweekly water changes and weekly filter pad changes.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had as many as 4 going at once. Too much work and somethings always neglected. My 3 running now are being consolidated to one maybe two in the fall. If i keep the 2nd running it’ll be an anemone tank.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One tank only, one saltwater tank only that is! Have some freshwater but can only handle one reef. My Fw tanks are plumbed together and is on ro drip for automatic water changes and is pretty much no work.

120 wild altum angels, 180 discus. 10% daily drip. I sometimes don't do work on these two for weeks at a time.
391A6E2B-3CBF-4AF1-83AC-FF720996AFFE.jpeg
835CBB51-0489-4E23-9C3E-9AF67C926B0F.jpeg

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every once in a while I consider starting a freshwater system but thinking about it is as far as I've ever gotten. I doubt I ever will but who knows. As far as different saltwater systems I always have more then one going. Someone mentioned having multiple systems would give them anxiety. Having one system would give me anxiety. If my main tank were to explode, assuming I'm home I could save a lot of what's in it. If cost were not an issue I'd probably have even more tanks.

Main display - mixed reef 112 gallons.
sexy shrimp nano - 10 gallon softy system with sexy shrimp
very unpractical frag tank - it's a 55g that used to be a qt tank. I said goodbye to my frag tank when I moved but turns out I needed that more then a large qt
90 gallon weird / fowlr tank - this is currently empty just live rock and 1 molly but whenever I have the urge for something weird that won't work in a reef I use this tank. Cuttlefish, Octopus, Garden eels, Lion fish ect.

Long long term I'd love to have a softy system an sps system and an lps system. My reefs always end up with mixed reefs. For that 10 gallon nano I am trying hard not to put anything that has a skeleton in it. Once your tank gets mature a frag tank is almost essential even if it's just a section in your sump. However I prefer this to be a separate system for various reasons. People who don't have frag tanks end up with frag racks in their display tank and there is nothing display about corals on a rack imo.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Work, school, kids, activities, brewing coffee to keep up, one tank is enough. I'd consider a connected frag tank if I could grow out any frags, but anything more can wait until life slows down.

I have considered snagging a tarantula again, but my wife would probably kill me.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 36 30.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back