Are you beneficial bacteria, a coral skeletal building block, an important aspect of chemistry etc?

Are you more of a giver or taker when it comes to the reefing community?

• Giver

Votes: 272 59.6%
  • Taker

Votes: 184 40.4%

• Total voters

Ti64reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being new to the hobby I'm definitely a taker but I'm very impressed at how many givers are out there. It's been an incredibly helpful resource that has been a huge help.

Krw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am taking all I can get being at this only 2 months now. But due to the many excellent givers on this site. I have my first 2 new wet pets in QT at this time. What do you all do while waiting for all this QT time to be over with?

Russell G

Meh...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like a few others before have said - right now I’m a taker. I’m still new to the hobby but I’m learning quickly. As I gain more experience and can make a contribution to the community, I’ll shift more to a giver to repay others for the help I was given at the start.

mcshams

Slave to my wife's reef desires
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am both. I try my best to give good sound advice from my experiences, but I am still new to the hobby, so my breadth of knowledge isn't where I feel comfortable on all subjects. I enjoy trying to get to the critter help questions. I also am in medicine and have a marine biology degree. It hasn't helped me in this hobby as much as I would like, but I do try to science-out the hobby and answer questions.

Because I was a TAKER at first, trolling this site looking for all the information I could get, I paid to be a member and immediately looked to becoming a partner member (of which my wife and I are). I have found a few people on here to be SO helpful and informative that I could not imagine the hobby without the help we get from here.

So, both.. give and take.

FloridaKeysReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently setting up my first reef tank so I'm definitely a taker. Like a jawfish who has been taking rubble back to his burrow and building something that he will later show off and use his knowledge to give back.
I have had FOWLR tanks for years so I try to help others out when the question is fish related. Once I have a reef tank that I can show as proof to my knowledge, I will be more comfortable giving advise.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have to say I am a 30-70 split.
30% on the giver and 70% on the taker.

I want to help and when I see a subject I know something about, like construction or equipment, I chime in.
I have done my best to help new folks with cycling issues and the like.

The fact is when you do respond to a thread and help others I more often than not learn something new almost every time. This is because so many respond that have more experience. So even in giving I myself gain. Thus the 30-70 ratio

Johniejumbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose I amount to protein skimmer sludge. I’m full of good nutrition I could share. Problem is most of it is redundant and unnecessary and would probably only serve to pollute the water if released ;Smuggrin
I may add a bit of oxygen to the place though so maybe I’m the whole skimmer.
so more of a taker.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back