Are you getting pH right and avoiding THESE pH Mistakes?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now this is one of the best videos you all have released, very informative and great in a crisis.

AWESOME JOB!!!

Malevolent

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good video. I used all of there recommendations in the past prior to this video in order to diagnose the problem with low PH.
example*
Alk: 10.98
Cal: 532
Mag: 1373
PH: 7.65
Solution: using any kind of additives wasn’t going to be a solution with the hi Alk. And using three different type of testers confirmed it was a PH issue. Tested RODI water for filter failure. Tested new salt mix for any abnormal readings. Tested water from display by sticking it outside (with heater). Issue was solved by the rise of PH which In turn told me it was a Co2 issue in the house. It’s winter in Alaska and -15 degrees outside, so opening the windows/doors is not an option, but running a half inch clear tubing from my skimmer air intake to the outside was a good temporary solution till The Co2 scrubber gets installed.
PH: 8.1
now when anybody asks me about a low ph problem, I just say “check your Co2 issue in the house first”.
If anybody was wondering why my Alk/Cal/Mag was so high at the time, it was due to the kalk additive in the ATO which was removed right away.
I also want to add that having several types of testing options API,Red Sea,Hanna and Apex with Trident helped a lot.

Cyricdark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching this episode gave me a good idea for a brstv investigates. In the video you stated that the protein skimmer will have a much greater effect on pH than surface agitation, that has not been my experience. I have around 250 gallons system volume and I have an undersized skimmer and an oversized skimmer (currently running the undersized one. it works better) and neither one stabilized and raised my pH as much as a maxspect gyre shooting across the surface of the tank then later on increasing my flow through the sump so it also had a lot of agitated water. pH fluctuated from 7.6 to 8 with just skimmers, the gyre brought it up to 7.8 to 8. Now it stays between 8 to 8.1. You should look into that.

Screenshot_2020-02-13-13-55-07.png

Malevolent

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching this episode gave me a good idea for a brstv investigates. In the video you stated that the protein skimmer will have a much greater effect on pH than surface agitation, that has not been my experience. I have around 250 gallons system volume and I have an undersized skimmer and an oversized skimmer (currently running the undersized one. it works better) and neither one stabilized and raised my pH as much as a maxspect gyre shooting across the surface of the tank then later on increasing my flow through the sump so it also had a lot of agitated water. pH fluctuated from 7.6 to 8 with just skimmers, the gyre brought it up to 7.8 to 8. Now it stays between 8 to 8.1. You should look into that.

Screenshot_2020-02-13-13-55-07.png
Surface agitation would be a good investigation. My tests here produced 0 difference with both wave makers and the two return lines forced to create more surface agitation. My surface area is only 18” by 48” on a 150 gal tank. It Is a drop down tank with 40” on the deep end so my tank wouldn’t be a good option for testing surface agitation compared to an average tank with a set depth and a common surface area on a typical tank most reefers buy off the shelf. I do know that to much surface agitation do have some negatives, and mine was the amount of spray. Even though I have euro bracing and my hybrid T5/Led lights are mounted 9” + above the water line, It was to much for me to want to deal with (maintenance) to warrant more than 72 hours for testing purposes. I also have only one skimmer so testing skimmer agitation due to different sizes wasn’t an option.
I still think most people here who are wondering why they have a low PH issue all of a sudden can do few simple things before panicking (like I did). Double check your PH by other means and do a simple Co2 test by introducing fresh air outside to your tank water. I am by no means an expert, just sharing my experience that worked for me.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back