Are you HANDS IN or HANDS OUT?

Are you hands in or hands out in your system?

• Hands in the tank

Votes: 125 87.4%
  • Hands out of the tank

Votes: 21 14.7%

• Total voters

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on if I have somthing in quarantine or not in the house. When I have a quarantine or hospital running I try to remain as hands out as possible for all tanks to minimize any possible risks.

If everything is 'clean' and no quarantine is running in the house I have no problem being hands in any time multiple times a week. I do have tongs though which I typically use before my hands go in, helpful for things on the bottom.

I operate my tanks in order of risk, the display is green so all work should be done here first to prevent things from moving up the risk chain. Then blue which is the frag tank, yellow is invert/coral (yes I QT snails too) only quarantine and then finally red which is medicated (copper) fish quarantine. Incoming livestock moves up the chain in reverse: red or yellow -> blue -> green. Perhaps extreme but I even color code the tools I have per tank and dedicate them to the specific risk zone.

zukihara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason, I do not like getting my armpits wet with salty water so I tend to stay hands out. I ordered some 24" hemostats and those do help a bit.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hands in, to some extent, virtually every day. Never on a day where I’ve used any chemicals/lotions.

Iggy305

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Def. Hands in, I bought these gloves for something, and I’m going to use them.

drblakjak55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hands in. Always moving something or regluing. Feeding anemones. Do you really think putting hands in causes problems?

Aldrinlights

Reeth Huthbandry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hands in but I always wear aquarium gloves. If I don't then my clownfish will nibble on me. It's funny how she will instantly dart to the other side of the tank the instant my hand goes in uncovered. With the gloves though she doesn't care at all. So there is definitely something happening when you don't cover your arms. She can tell.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to limit how often I put my hands in the tank, but I’m definitely hands in. I have tongs and gloves, and I use them (I actually use the tongs pretty frequently), but sometimes you just need the dexterity of gloveless hands. When I do put my hands in there, even if it’s just feeding a pinch of flake food, I always rinse my hands thoroughly and dry them off with a paper towel before putting my hands in there.

Bob LI

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said hands out as I tend to use tongs but sometimes you just need the dexterity.
Also I have been nipped too many times to randomly stick my hands in the tank. All my maroon clownfish owners will know what I am talking about haha
My Clarkii is just as bad. He seems to bite and twist. I had him for a couple of years with no issue, but the first time he decided I was a problem, I pulled my arm out and blood was coming from about a half a dozen locations.

IMG_1923.JPG

Reefnman2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a smoker it's hands out 99% of the time, I wash my hands real good before putting gloves on but I'm afraid nicotine will get in the tank and that can't be good.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hand in, unless you have zoa or palys
Is this a real thing? Do (some) zoa's and palys just leech so much palytoxin into just water that even contact with your skin puts you at risk?

The more I read and see in real life, the more I have to think this is another overblown fear that gets thrown round from person to person. They have them in every hobby and I'm new to this one.

Has this been studied? Even Even anecdotally, I would think we would have a mega thread of people Showing what actually happened, not what could happen if it was so common.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a real thing? Do (some) zoa's and palys just leech so much palytoxin into just water that even contact with your skin puts you at risk?

The more I read and see in real life, the more I have to think this is another overblown fear that gets thrown round from person to person. They have them in every hobby and I'm new to this one.

Has this been studied? Even Even anecdotally, I would think we would have a mega thread of people Showing what actually happened, not what could happen if it was so common.
The toxin is real. How it gets released and how much gets into your system varies greatly depending on too many other factors. Whether or not you want to chance it is up to you, esp if the alternative (just put on gloves) is so simple to implement.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With such a small tank, I have no choice but to be “hands in”, simply for maneuverability. I feel like in such tight spaces, tools are just more clumsy than actually useful. As far as gloves go, I only really wear them when dealing with zoas or glue.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a new tank it's almost impossible to do hands off, between pulling GHA, picking up items your urchin is dragging around to pulling and cleaning algae encrusted power heads, I can't see how you could go without putting your hands in the tank.

No I would rather not, but at this stage I have no choice!

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The toxin is real. How it gets released and how much gets into your system varies greatly depending on too many other factors. Whether or not you want to chance it is up to you, esp if the alternative (just put on gloves) is so simple to implement.
(Although your response was the one quoted, I'm more throwing it out for discussions in the group as a whole not singling anyone out.)

I know the toxin is real and can cause serious illness.

What concentration is in the water at any given time if any I guess is more of my question. I haven't read anything anywhere that shows these two corals leech toxins into the water at a rate that could make us sick just by contacting the water. Just proximity to them impacting our health.

Fragging, moving, touching them: ok I'm on board. Wear protection. Where does the fear of the undisturbed water come from? Have there been verifiable reports of people hooking nori to their clips in the morning then grabbing a donut hole and ingesting palytoxin and becoming sick?

I've looked, can't find it.

MartinWaite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to be hands in at the drop of a hat but a few years ago I thought I would give no hands in the tank ago and the tank seemed to improve for it. I used tongs and tweezers where ever possible. I reckon I last put my hands in the tank about 4 months ago and then it was in and out. I even use tweezers to feed flake food.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back