Are you not adding new fish because you're afraid?

Are you not adding new fish because you're afraid?

• Yes, afraid of disease

Votes: 137 31.0%
  • Yes, afraid of agression

Votes: 111 25.1%
  • No not afrain to add fish

Votes: 139 31.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 55 12.4%

• Total voters

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not afraid of adding fish. I QT all my fish, unless I buy fully quarantined, but that is rare. I usually QT all my fish and don't add them until I'm sure they are good.

I have a smaller tank, so don't have any large/expensive fish. My fish are all common fish, nothing expert level, so if I did have to replace one or two along the way, not a big deal.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are multiple reasons I dont add new fish - fear is not one of them - its more about - I like the way the fish currently get along. I suppose - one could consider that 'fear of disease' - or 'fear of aggression' - or both - my opinion - has become - Add less - enjoy more.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish are not my concern. I either QT them myself or buy from @tsmaquatics which QT the exact same way as I do. It is adding other things that is my concern and brought Ick into my tank currently.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is adding new fish scary because you're afraid of introducing ich or some other disease to your aquarium? Maybe you're afraid because of fish aggression?

Tell us about it!

15603904323_115a2df419_z.jpg

I haven't added a fish in over a year for both reasons. I'm scared of disease, and I'm scared of aggression.

However, the disease part isn't as much about what I put into my tank, but rather what my tank already has. I have QT tanks and everything I need to QT. I can treat for everything, so I could easily take in a new fish.

But my tank has ich in it - even after I QT'd everything. And I struggle with the idea of putting a new fish in knowing they will suffer from ich. My fish only get 1 or 2 spots occasionally, but it still bugs the crap out of me because there is nothing I can do to relieve them. I'm sure it gets on their gills too.

If I could, I'd remove every fish I have now just so I could go fallow(again) and treat them all, however I'd destory my tank doing it(all rocks are cemented), and I know it would be virtually impossible for all my fish to survive the QT process again. So I continue with ich management.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can't get any of the online stores that QT to respond. It's ridiculous how poor the customer interaction is. Like be a company or don't. Don't lead everyone on though for months and never produce

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is adding new fish scary because you're afraid of introducing ich or some other disease to your aquarium? Maybe you're afraid because of fish aggression?

Tell us about it!

15603904323_115a2df419_z.jpg
I have 3 yellow tangs, a mooish idol, a queen angelfish, a sailfin tang, and a blue tang. Any disruption or changes causes chaos. I don't feel I can risk their delicate balance with new fish.

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my first new fish in almost 2 years in QT now. To say afraid is an understatement. Terrified is more appropriate. I have a good thing going and I do not want to ruin it by introducing some kind of disease. Fingers crossed...
I added a moorish idol and a sailfin tang to an established trio of yellow tangs and a terribly aggressive queen angel. Made a divider out of acrylic from home depot and held it in place with some suction cup dividers things. Gave them a chance to get use to each other and establish a territory they felt comfortable in. It went really smooth when the divider came out.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No fear @ all even with dealing with a nasty flukes outbreak recently. Admittedly availability is the biggest issue with restocking, then price. Since I got back into it with my own tank in 2017, cost of stock has gone up 3-4x.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate QTing so much that I’m just buying from Dr Reef or TSM anymore…
I guess i have been lucky so far! I have never had a problem not quarantining but I have small cheap fish , I do plan to get a larger tanks soon with some nice much more expensive fish! So what is the deal with dr reef and tsm? What does tsm stand for?

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess i have been lucky so far! I have never had a problem not quarantining but I have small cheap fish , I do plan to get a larger tanks soon with some nice much more expensive fish! So what is the deal with dr reef and tsm? What does tsm stand for?
Idk what the TSM stands for, but along with Dr Reef they do full quarantine on the fish they sell before sending them to you, copper and prazi and observation. Everything that you’d have to do at home over the course of a month before introduction if you wanted to ensure they are disease free.

they are significantly more expensive than non qtd fish, but when you think about what your getting its hard to reason its not a good value!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back