Are you not adding new fish because you're afraid?

Are you not adding new fish because you're afraid?

• Yes, afraid of disease

Votes: 137 31.0%
  • Yes, afraid of agression

Votes: 111 25.1%
  • No not afrain to add fish

Votes: 139 31.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 55 12.4%

• Total voters

wheels 45

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not afraid to buy and add new fish, but it seems that every time I add new fish some of my other fish disappear and I don't see them again

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My concern with adding more fish is keeping nutrients under control. I may be overstocked now because I have a wrasse addiction.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything I'm adding going forward is either quarantined via HTTM or gotten from a QT vendor or directly from Biota.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Simpsons Cartoon GIF

Mike565

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am always worried about disease. I lost 1/2 my fish 2 years ago from ick (most from the disease and several, including 5 of my 6 yellow tangs, right when the prices skyrocketed :angry-face:, from the copper.

But now its time to add another dozen or more fish, but the existing fish have grown very large and haven't seen a new fish in a long time. I don't anticipate they will be very welcoming. Existing fish include a full grown, 11" French angel, 8 in Imperator, an 8" clown trigger, three 10" lookdowns and some miscellaneous fish that I'm not too worried about. I would like a few more tangs and several butterfly fish, hence the concern.

neo1738

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a QT process but only get my fish from LiveAquaria bc they are respected with their own QT process. Luckily my tank is stocked and no diseases yet.

Michael ross1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is adding new fish scary because you're afraid of introducing ich or some other disease to your aquarium? Maybe you're afraid because of fish aggression?

Tell us about it!

15603904323_115a2df419_z.jpg
I'm not afraid of disease just quarantine. I'm more afraid because I get mixed info saying tank is to small...but I seen what I want to do be done successfully...but don't want to do it ...if not fair to fish....plus alot of fish are wild caught don't want to spend crazy money and one die...I just got an algae blenny..was great about 2 weeks than boom dead gone.. that sucks losing fish

Mike Butler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't normally quarantine my fish because I'm fortunate to have a very good LFS who look after their fish.
Also here in Australia we don't have the travel distance for new fish so the likelyhood of stress disease is lessened somewhat. Of course I always check compatibility of species and risk of coral issues.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't qt and new tank at 14 months old .
Was adding either 1 or 2 fish every month for first 6 months but no fish added for probably 6 months now so wouldn't say afraid but slightly anxious sure that if add a fish could bring in diesese (also anxious if qt new fish in a hospital tank thats always running then i strip its immunity and if a diesese in my tank then it affevts the new fish more,so lots going on in my head ha ha) or other fish that settled In show aggression towards new fiah,my tailspot blennie literally chased my bi colour blennie everytime he seen it emerge from the rocks for first 3 days but get on cool now.
Did want a foxface for algae control but somewhat put off after reading some eat zoas.
But also thinking adding 2 red Scooter blennies,as look cool but also for potential pest control.

As others have said,everything ( apart from n03,
P04 to high) going good in tank expert 3 torch coral deaths and dont want upset it but we shall see,just have little faith that all will be well ^_^

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
50/50 on aggression and disease. but thankfully there are websites with "QT'd" fish..

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish have always been difficult for me, I know its my weak point in this hobby, im scared from the first fish addition to the tank, if they are going to be ok or go through stress and die because of me, and once I have a couple and I develop a relationship of feeding them and keeping them happy for a while, im scared to add new ones for the same reasons accept now I really dont want anything to happen to my old fish that are now my buddies, I can never catch them if I need to, they always fight, won't eat or breath funny, I think I see a spot, is it sick, it's swimming weird, why is it in the corner! Ahhhh fish are stressful for me, I see people that have wall to wall fish, successfully and I am just as amazed as seeing a coral packed reef tank, it takes some skills I know, and recognize!

My current two main stressor, the tang has stabbed this foxface a couple of times, but some times they swim together like BFF's
(120g 7green chromis,1scopas,1foxface)

Attachments

• 20220426_191206.jpg
    20220426_191206.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 19

NanoReefy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clicked on Aggression due to the fact I have two 13.5 tanks. I started out by putting one Orange and white clown in one tank. About a week later I decided to add two smaller black and white clowns. The moment I dropped them into the tank the bigger orange clown started picking on both black and whites, I almost took them out and put into the other tank. It has been a few days and they seem to be doing ok in the same tank, but you see the bigger one every now and then pecking on the smaller clowns. Not sure if it was just a territory thing or what...

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back