Are you not adding new fish because you're afraid?

Are you not adding new fish because you're afraid?

• Yes, afraid of disease

Votes: 137 31.0%
  • Yes, afraid of agression

Votes: 111 25.1%
  • No not afrain to add fish

Votes: 139 31.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 55 12.4%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is adding new fish scary because you're afraid of introducing ich or some other disease to your aquarium? Maybe you're afraid because of fish aggression?

Tell us about it!

15603904323_115a2df419_z.jpg

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll spend a long time cross checking behavior and aggression to make sure what I have should get along…of course the evil clown makes that hard so we’ll have to see if she’s allowed in the 40B.

I’m most paranoid about disease. After losing my first round of saltwater fish to disease (my fault for not quarantining), I’ll always be paranoid. All my fish go through a full qt and treatment now and I’m still always worried I’ll miss something.

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the fish I originally wanted in the tank. My tank is doing well and I do not want to do anything that might upset the balance it has achieved. I'm sure I will add more fish, but I like to add fish that have something to do in the tank other than just swim around and wait to be fed.

I'm not too concerned about disease since I do have a QT I can set up.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do want to add more fish in the future, but it’s not a priority right now. I will say that quarantine makes it much harder to mindlessly add new fish. You need to plan out the space needed and time spent to QT.

So right now I’m not adding fish because of QT.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question, I think there’s so many unknowns in adding fish to an established system that its just a big headache

disease introduction
aggression/territory
scaring other skiddish fish into hiding… etc…

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just takes time to find what I want or to QT it. It’s more like…ughhhh do I really want to spend the next 30 days QT right now? Feeling lazy…
I hate QTing so much that I’m just buying from Dr Reef or TSM anymore…

dking271

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not afraid to add fish due to disease because I have a very good quarantine program for new additions. It only takes one outbreak in the display tank to teach you not to cut corners with quarantine procedures. Now I’m not afraid of aggression and have room for a possible new fish, but can not think of anything that wouldn’t start world war three. I have a flame hawk that believes all rock work belongs to him. I have a six-line wrasse that does stand up to the hawk, but does get chased around a bit. I would love to add a Banggai Cardinal but I do not think it would end well for the cardinal.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted other because I am not afraid of adding new fish. However, I am well stocked at the moment, with 10 fish in a 56 gallon display tank. When I do add fish, it will be 2 minimum, maybe 3 new fish to disperse the bullying. I am not afraid of ich or other diseases.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BUMP!

Raj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only fear in adding new fish is they might munch on my corals, which has happened before. And it's hit or miss, I had a coral beauty that never touched any corals. When it died, I replaced it with a new one that immediately started munching on my corals.

ARasberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends on what fish I am adding. I just added the final fish (Atlantic Blue Tang) to my 165g reef tank. I was worried about aggression because I have 3 other resident Tangs. The good news is he seems to have actually mellowed the little bit of the aggression between my yellow and purple tang. I was also worried about disease less for what the new fish my introduce but because I practice Ich management and the Acanthurus variety are known to be extra susceptible to Ich. I had a few spots of Ich show up but they seem to be fading away now.

I have been feeding extra heavy (with added vitamins) to help with both aggression and Ich management. I also run UV and am religious about my weekly water changes.

Scott97062

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said other. I have the fish I originally wanted in the tank. My tank is doing well and I do not want to do anything that might upset the balance it has achieved. I'm sure I will add more fish, but I like to add fish that have something to do in the tank other than just swim around and wait to be fed.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 27.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back