Ask Nano Questions and Find Information (Nano Expert Albert Thiel)

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perched on the Barnacle shell where my Bicolor Blenny usually resides (I call it the FishMotel)

citron1217.jpg

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Albert, great to have you here on R2R! I've been running nanos for a while now and i'm sure I will have plenty of questions/discussion for you!

I would love to know what tanks you currently keep as well as the coral you stock in them. Any insights as to maintenance routine you keep or other equipment (skimmer?) would be awesome too.

Thanks!

paul

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Albert, great to have you here on R2R! I've been running nanos for a while now and i'm sure I will have plenty of questions/discussion for you! I would love to know what tanks you currently keep as well as the coral you stock in them. Any insights as to maintenance routine you keep or other equipment (skimmer?) would be awesome too. Thanks! paul

Thanks for the welcome Paul ... I currently run a 20 G High (no sump - no refugium) with a HOB filter and a HOB skimmer. Totoka live rock (I started off with over 20 pounds of it, and have been taking out more and more of it and estimate that there is maybe 15 pounds of it left if that).

I use GFO and alternate that with Al. oxide when I change the GFO (so GFO, then Al. oxide, then GFO, etc ...) and GAC but not a great deal of it. I also have a small piece of Poly-Filter in the HOB and floss where the water enters as mech filtration.

Not BB but nearly so as the sand layer is very thin in some areas but a little deeper in others as I do have YRG that does dig a little in at least two places.

Fish: Bicolor Blenny, Yellow Rose Goby, Lantern Basslet, Banggai Cardinal, Citron Goby
Corals: Cabbage (Sinularia) and large Cabbage (also Sinularia), Large Pavona cluster, 4 frags of Pavona that were taken off that large cluster, Duncan with 5 heads, Candy Cane with 7 heads (need to frag soon as they are so close together they are preventing each other from fully opening, Double headed Sarco, Single head Sarco, small cluster of GSP, 2 Large Yumas, 1 Baby Yuma that came off one of the Large ones, R. florida, Fire and Ice and a number of other clusters of Zoas and Palys, 1 Red Mushroom, 1 Cluster of Palys that never close not even at night and I believe that is it .. oh I also have cerith and nerite snails of course and one Black large Stomatella.

I also use an Oxydator that is inside the tank and adds free O to the water by breaking up H2O2 inside into H2O and O, not H2O2 gets into the water of course but it keeps the water ultra clear and oxidizes organics out of the water. Great to improve water quality. Problem is the US distributor has not had any for months and months and I got mine from the UK.

Tank runs just fine and I have posted some pictures earlier of what some corals look like and I'll post some more. I just can't seem to get them to come up large ...

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few more Pictures of the Tank today ... I listed the details of filtration and what the tank contains in an earlier message:

Candy Cane getting a little large ... fragging will be needed to give each polyp more space to extend

candy1219.jpg

Left View

left1219.jpg

Pavona Frags

pavfrags1219.jpg

This rock had about 1/2 the number of zoas on it when I got it

polyps1219.jpg

Albert

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A N N O U N C E M E N T

On Thursday December 20th the first episode of the Nano Reef Show Series will be on the air.

This show will be a discussion between Albert Thiel and Ray, the Moderator, and will deal every two weeks with Nano-Reef Specific topics only.

The First show TODAY Dec 20 at 10:00 EST. The time for future shows may vary. If you cannot listen in while the show is taking place, you can always listen to the recorded version the following day or later.

Link :
http://underthesearadioprogram.yolasite.co...ef-aquarium.php

Link:
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/wm-aquacultur...o-reef-aquarium

Nano Reef Show - Running and Operating Your Nano Reef Aquarium Successfully :
http://www.underthesearadioprogram.yolasite.com

Should you have any questions about how to log on, or how to call in if you wish to do so, post your questions here.

To listen to the show all you need to do is log in to the website and have your sound turned up ...

Albert

Last edited:

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using Al. oxide to lower PO4 ... there have been some reports that GFO may leach some aluminum into the tank's water, and that when that happens, that some more delicate corals may react in a negative manner. IME if the Al. oxide if well rinsed before it is used, and if not more is used than is recommended, a quantity that would result in too rapid a drop in PO4 levels, no negative reactions should occur.

If anyone has experienced any though I would like to hear about them.

Here is a test I ran on my 20 Gallon tank which holds around 17 gallon of water due to rock and sand displacement:

I used 1 TSP of Al. oxide and watched whether any corals were showing a reaction to it (I did rinse it well to make sure no white powder oxide would get into the tank). No negative effect. I ran that for 24 hours.

I then increased the amount to 2 TSPs and ran that for 24 hours. Still no negative reactions were observed.

However when I ran 3 TSPs, after about one hour my Large dble headed Leather coral(Sarco) started to show an odd behavior: it would retract its tentacles and maybe a hour or two later would expand them again, only to retract them once more maybe an hour or so later. This went on for quite a while. Eventually the polyps were retracted and did not come out again.

I then lowered the Al. oxide back to 1 TSP and the Leather coral stopped showing that behavior but it did take a good number of hours for the tentacles to come back out.

So why am I posting this? To make readers aware that using too much of it can indeed result in negative behavior of some corals. Interestingly enough, the other corals I have in the tank did not show any reaction (Candy Cane, Pavona, Duncan, Cabbage, Zoa and Paly). Only the Sarcophyton did.

This is FWIW

Albert

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Albert, do you have any opinions on the product Chemi-pure for phosphate reduction?

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test of getting Picture to show in large format :

Banggai and R. yumas

banggai1017.png

I guess this time it worked :)
Albert

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Albert, do you have any opinions on the product Chemi-pure for phosphate reduction?

IME the basic Chemi-Pure has little effect on PO4 but the Chemi-Pure Elite does lower PO4 better. Of course Aluminum oxide and GFO do a far better job at lowering it and one can even use (but with care) Lanthanum Chloride ... which comes in liquid form but using that one is more complicated because as it reacts with the PO4 in the water it creates a very fine floc that needs to be trapped in a filter sock or by fine mechanical filtration as you do not want the floc to get into the tank and accumulate.

But on your original question: what is your current level of PO4 ? That would help me suggest which compound to use ...

Hopefully this helps but if you have more questions do not hesitate to post them here on this thread

Albert

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 130 75.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 9.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 25 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back