Ask Nano Questions and Find Information (Nano Expert Albert Thiel)

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just curious to your thoughts on the product (i did mean the "elite" version, sorry for the confusion) and its ability to remove phosphate. I have used it for a long time but am thinking of switching to a GFO type product as I am beginning to feed more and do not like the bulk of the chemipure product. My phos is generally undetectable with a too old test kit (confirmed at LFS who also uses a equally old/bad test kit), but am planning on monitoring it more closely with Hanna meter when it arrives.

I think after reading some other threads and your post that I will most likely go with a product like phoslock or rowaphos to replace the Chemipure...

Great livestock list in your 20 tall, sounds packed! I love the 20 gallon tanks, i currently am running a 20 long and think it makes a great nano size.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just curious to your thoughts on the product (i did mean the "elite" version, sorry for the confusion) and its ability to remove phosphate. I have used it for a long time but am thinking of switching to a GFO type product as I am beginning to feed more and do not like the bulk of the chemipure product. My phos is generally undetectable with a too old test kit (confirmed at LFS who also uses a equally old/bad test kit), but am planning on monitoring it more closely with Hanna meter when it arrives.
I think after reading some other threads and your post that I will most likely go with a product like phoslock or rowaphos to replace the Chemipure...
Great livestock list in your 20 tall, sounds packed! I love the 20 gallon tanks, i currently am running a 20 long and think it makes a great nano size.

If you are going to feed more then I would certainly consider switching to one of the GFO type products and there are a number on the market, and not all are the same although they are close to each other of course. There is a good article on the difference between Phosban versus Rowaphos that you may want to read. Here is the link:
Product Review: Ferrous Oxide Phosphate Removers — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

The CP Elite is fine in tanks that have a low bioload and where no high amount of feeding takes place but in tanks where that is the case I would switch to GFO indeed (I use GFO and also use Al. oxide and switch between the two, but that is just my approach). I find that doing so works fine for me. However you can certainly use just the GFO and get good results. Just make sure you do not use too high a quantity as that can suddenly lower the PO4 levels too much and some corals do not react well to that.

Note though that the more posts you read here and on other forums the more opinions you will find on which "brand" of GFO works better .. of course that is not unusual in our hobby :) often what you ask about will get you more answers than what you were expecting.

I suggest you read the article I posted a link to and also this one :
Phosphate and the Reef Aquarium by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com which also gives a good analysis of the use of GFO.

But, yes I would definitely switch from the Elite product to one of the GFO's

Let me know whether this answers your questions especially after you have read the articles.

Albert

Whichever brand you use is of course your decision ... I use Pura Phoslock when I add GFO and Phosguard when using Al. oxide.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An Interesting Technical article on PO4 Removal using: "A novel lanthanum-modified bentonite, Phoslock, for phosphate removal from waste waters". This is not the same as the product sold for aquarium use.

May not apply to Nano Reefs but gives readers a better understanding of other manners in which PO4 can be removed from water. Note that there are products on the market that use Lanthanum Chloride diluted with distilled water ... one brand is Phosphate-E from Brightwell Aquatics, but one that works better IME but is more intricate to use is : Phosbuster from CaribSea. If you use the latter make sure you have a very fine mesh sock that
traps the flocculant that will be created with the product pulls the PO4 out of the water just about instantly.

The technical article Link is :
http://phoslock.pl/pliki/haghseresht_applied_clay_science_2009.pdf

Albert

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Albert, WOW! 7 pages on your thread in a day that's more than a good start. I am sure this thread will be very successful not only for you but for many of the members on here. No question from me however you have more than enough at the moment to answer. Just remains for me to congratulate you on your appointment of nano reef expert here.:clap2:

Les.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Albert, WOW! 7 pages on your thread in a day that's more than a good start. I am sure this thread will be very successful not only for you but for many of the members on here. No question from me however you have more than enough at the moment to answer. Just remains for me to congratulate you on your appointment of nano reef expert here.:clap2:

Les.

Thanks Les ... I appreciate it ... and yes I know you have a lot on your plate too with the Holidays ..

And true the thread has been doing well indeed. I could post a lot of links every day but I am trying to space it out so that those who follow the thread have time to read the ones that I add.

And there have been some real good questions too, which I answer with pleasure as I do on that other forum where the Thread is now over I think 380 pages if I remember well and each page there has 20 posts :) That is a lot of messages indeed but here it is growing nicely every day !

Thanks and have a great evening. Tonight I have the Radio Show at 10:00 PM EST ... so I will be up late, which is not usual for me as I always get up real real early as you well know.

Albert

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check those Yumas ...

567654.png

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Infamous Detritivore © Ron L. Shimek Ph.D

For several years, I have been recommending and suggesting that aquarists add "detritivores" to their sand beds and to their reef systems, in general.

A short time ago, I was asked, "Just what is a detritivore and why should I add some to my tank."

In essence, this aquarist wanted to know why in the world that he should pay a lot of money for animals that generally are invisible.

And even worse, why pay for animals that when they are not invisible, are ugly?

Link : The Infamous Detritivore by Ronald L. Shimek, Ph.D. - Reefkeeping.com

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The WM Radio Show on Nano-Reefs (I) featuring Ray and myself

The Radio Show went real well last night, and lasted about an hour and 20 minutes, many topics where discussed ranging from setting up a 30-Gallon Nano-Reef and what is needed, to Live Rock, live sand, Corals, Fishes, Lighting and more still.

This is the first one of what I hope will be Many more ... In fact the next Show will be on Dec 27 also at 10:00 p.m. EST

For those who could not tune in last night you can listen to the recorded version at :

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/wm-aquacultur...o-reef-aquarium

And then start the recording of the show using the little triangular icon on the video screen that will either show me or the Radio show's image, as can be seen below (both icons are shown)

radioshow.png
atradio.png

Join us on WM and the Majestic Aquarium Radio Show next week Dec 27 for a continuation on Nano Reefs and more

Again, the Link to the recording of last night's Show is :
The Nano Reef Show - Getting Your Nano Reef Aquarium 12/20 by WM Aquaculture | Blog Talk Radio

Thanks if you did listen in last night and if not listen to the recording ! I appreciate it.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What Is LED Droop ? Indeed what is It?

The blue light-emitting diode,
arguably the greatest optoelectronic advance of the past 25 years, harbors a dark secret: Crank up the current and its efficiencies will plummet. The problem is known as droop, and it’s not only puzzling the brightest minds in the field, it’s also threatening the future of the electric lighting industry.

Link : The LED's Dark Secret - IEEE Spectrum

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eric Borneman who should be well-know to many of you published 7 Articles on Corals and the Foods they Consume.

I will post them all but not all in one day, so you get a chance to read them before you see another post, so I may add 2 or 3 in one day till all 7 are on the Thread.

Link to (I) : Reef Food by Eric Borneman - Reefkeeping.com

Note the © belongs to Eric Borneman

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't that there are too many Hobbyists who have maintained a reef tank for 42+ years continuously ! Paul Baldassano however has done so !
Check out his Aquarium and the History of it ... yes going strong for 42+ Years now. He is also an inventor of many devices one of the better known ones is the Majano Wand to zap them and get rid of them, and it works on Aiptasia as well (I own one and have used it and Aiptasia are history in no time). Note that I am not associated with his company. I just mention it because it "works"

Link to a long article on his Tank:
Reefkeeping Magazine - Paul Baldassano

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Opistognathus rosenblatti The Blue Spotted Jawfish : Great for a Nano Reef but you need a sandy Substrate : Photo Credit Gerald Allen

jaw_blue.png

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Identifying Parasitic Diseases in Marine Fish - A Hobbyist Guide © By Terry D. Bartelme
Awareness of the symptoms and treatments for other common parasites can save aquarists from disappointing setbacks, unnecessary expenses and the loss of livestock.

Link : http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/10/aafeature1

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 29.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back