Ask Nano Questions and Find Information (Nano Expert Albert Thiel)

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really Want to see what is in your Tank ... during the night ... and need the right device for it ? Often a flashlight, even with a red screen in front will not show you all there is to see, but the Critter Torch will. The device got an "excellent" review on Reefbuilders !

I received a number of Red LED Critter Torches from the UK, and am making the limited supply I have available at my cost (device, shipping box, postage) ... for the US $12.50 and for Canada US $17.50 including shipping cost. Make your payment to Paypal : [email protected] adding your full address and name. While Supply lasts ... Here is what it looks like :

torchred.png

I used it myself of course and lo and behold discovered that I now have 4 Stomatellas, that there are very few Bristleworms in my tank, spotted a small Aiptasia growth that I could not see during the day for some reasons, an got a really good look at everything else between my LR's ...

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The top completely covers the tank so I wouldn't be able to use the hang on back skimmer. From what I can find around the net it seems that a protein skimmer would be better than a refugium since it will remove the gunk before it can break down. I have 5 fish in the tank. Two Clowns, a Watchman Gobie, a Purple Pseudoshromis and a Midas Blenny. I haven't taken a pic of my tank but here is a pic from the internet to show what it looks like.

I looked up that Tunze skimmer and yes that would IMO be a good choice for you ... and with the rather heavy load of fish that would certainly be a good addition to your filtration equipment. Do remember to keep mechanical filtration in place as well too of course .. I think I saw a video listed on the skimmer but could not get it to come up, but if you do a search for Tunze 9002 skimmer you should see it listed .. not sure why I cannot get it to come up .. could be my laptop ...

Wasabijim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Albert. I wish I had the room for a bigger tank. I do still use the mechanical filters also. I have the InTank media tray with filter floss in the top and Chemipure Elite and Purigen.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Albert. I wish I had the room for a bigger tank. I do still use the mechanical filters also. I have the InTank media tray with filter floss in the top and Chemipure Elite and Purigen.
Then you are fine .. just keep an eye on your NO3 and PO4 levels and if they seem high then I would increase your water change routine, either the % or the frequency. And both of the Chemical media are good ones so as long as you change them when needed the should keep your nutrient levels low enough. PO4 not detectable by a low range test, and NO3 between 2 and 5 ppm if what I aim for.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Did you get that skimmer ? And if not were you able to pull up the Video ... Adding the skimmer is definitely a good move.

Wasabijim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get that skimmer ? And if not were you able to pull up the Video ... Adding the skimmer is definitely a good move.
I haven't ordered it yet. I will probably order it this week. I have done several 20% water changes and that brought the levels down a lot.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't ordered it yet. I will probably order it this week. I have done several 20% water changes and that brought the levels down a lot.

Yes you can do water changes in lieu of running a skimmer for sure ... you will just need to figure what quantity and what frequency keeps your levels of nutrients low ... but at some point adding a skimmer is definitely a good move ... Thanks for the update.

Busterhotrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you shed more light on the oxydator that you refer to in your book and where someone can possibly get a hold of one Thanks JOHN

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you shed more light on the oxydator that you refer to in your book and where someone can possibly get a hold of one Thanks JOHN
I will with pleasure a little later today ... am in the midst of getting book shipments and Critter LED Torches ready to go out ...

On where to get it ...right now the only source is in the UK as there is no US distributor, well there is but they have not had stock for months and months.

The link to the UK distrubutor is http://www.seahorsebreeder.co.uk and look for the product page and then the Sochting Oxydator one ... more later

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here is a Link on a thread on a UK forum that has a lot of posts about them and their benefits and what those who are using them have experienced in their tanks :

Sochting Oxydators.

spacetime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Albert,

An update on my tank.

I am no longer running any GFO or Rox Carbon. For the size of my tank I think both products are too strong and have been the problem. Since removing I have seen improvement in my coral color and polyp extension, but also an increase in algae. I have been going easier on my Zeovit nano pack, and have repositioned my return, overflow, and MP10 to allow for a better flow (the rock "spire" that I have seems to cut off the flow behind it). I have great growth an a birdsnest coral that I purchased, and fragged, but my zoa's and LPS growth seems to be stagnant. I may add some matrix (seachem) carbon next week as I use it in my picotope, I'm just not certain how much. I have also been skimming dryer as I had made my skimmate very wet with the Tunze Nano DOC, as per the Bio Actif instructions.

I am considering starting some of the basic zeovit products (zeobak, zeo start3, and coral snow) to help battle some algae that I have growing on my rocks, but I do not plan on using the zeolith stones. Being able to control NO3 and PO4 (which are apparently non-existant) by bacteria which my corals can consume seems more appealing to me than using GFO or other medias.

I have also removed the splash guard on my Aquatic Life 4x24w T5 fixture in an attempt to improve par and bulb temp. The fixture has no built in fan so I wonder if the bulbs I have are any good anymore as they all had blackrings around the edges less than a month after installing, perhaps from overheating. The trouble with this AL fixture (well beyond this issue) is something that has made me consider a DIY led fixture. I have dismissed the idea all together and may just upgrade my tank to a shallow rimless cube before the years end, and work on a fixture for that tank rather than frankenstein something to fit the very narrow 15g. It seems that all LED fixtures or DIY kits seem to be designed for cubes or rather tanks that are 24" in width.

Finally, I will leave one last question for you, what length of photoperiod should I aim for. I currently have 12-8 2x ATI Blue+ and 1-7 Blue+ and ATI Coral+, should I lengthen the photoperiod to 10 hours total with 1/2 sunrise and sunset (i.e. blues only).

As always any comments or questions you have are always appreciated.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Albert,

An update on my tank.

I am no longer running any GFO or Rox Carbon. For the size of my tank I think both products are too strong and have been the problem. Since removing I have seen improvement in my coral color and polyp extension, but also an increase in algae. I have been going easier on my Zeovit nano pack, and have repositioned my return, overflow, and MP10 to allow for a better flow (the rock "spire" that I have seems to cut off the flow behind it). I have great growth an a birdsnest coral that I purchased, and fragged, but my zoa's and LPS growth seems to be stagnant. I may add some matrix (seachem) carbon next week as I use it in my picotope, I'm just not certain how much. I have also been skimming dryer as I had made my skimmate very wet with the Tunze Nano DOC, as per the Bio Actif instructions.

I am considering starting some of the basic zeovit products (zeobak, zeo start3, and coral snow) to help battle some algae that I have growing on my rocks, but I do not plan on using the zeolith stones. Being able to control NO3 and PO4 (which are apparently non-existant) by bacteria which my corals can consume seems more appealing to me than using GFO or other medias.

I have also removed the splash guard on my Aquatic Life 4x24w T5 fixture in an attempt to improve par and bulb temp. The fixture has no built in fan so I wonder if the bulbs I have are any good anymore as they all had blackrings around the edges less than a month after installing, perhaps from overheating. The trouble with this AL fixture (well beyond this issue) is something that has made me consider a DIY led fixture. I have dismissed the idea all together and may just upgrade my tank to a shallow rimless cube before the years end, and work on a fixture for that tank rather than frankenstein something to fit the very narrow 15g. It seems that all LED fixtures or DIY kits seem to be designed for cubes or rather tanks that are 24" in width.

Finally, I will leave one last question for you, what length of photoperiod should I aim for. I currently have 12-8 2x ATI Blue+ and 1-7 Blue+ and ATI Coral+, should I lengthen the photoperiod to 10 hours total with 1/2 sunrise and sunset (i.e. blues only).

As always any comments or questions you have are always appreciated.

Am out on the road till later this afternoon .. will reply then ...

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a Link on a thread on a UK forum that has a lot of posts about them and their benefits and what those who are using them have experienced in their tanks :

Sochting Oxydators.

:wave: Good link Albert.:smile:
Plus if there is a anything specific not mentioned there John just ask and either Albert or I will almost certainly have the answers. I have been using Oxydator's in marine tanks for over 20 years and have gained a lot of experience using them and have been telling people for years about their benefits. Fortunately Albert took up on my posts and tried one for himself the rest as they say is history.

Les.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plus if there is a anything specific not mentioned there John just ask and either Albert or I will almost certainly have the answers. I have been using Oxydator's in marine tanks for over 20 years and have gained a lot of experience using them and have been telling people for years about their benefits. Fortunately Albert took up on my posts and tried one for himself the rest as they say is history.

Les.

Thanks Mr. Atoll .. and yes when specific questions come up I am sure either you or me will be more than happy to answer them ..

I am now calling the device the LES-O-DATOR btw ... :-o

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Les.

Not sure if it is a good idea but the Link on the US site that you created a thread for on Oxydators may be of help too although I dont't think it has nearly as much info as the UK one.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you could if I had invented it rather than being the first (as far as I know) to apply it to reef systems.:noidea:

You mean you are "not" the one who sold the plans for it to Sochting ??? Wow ... I was convinced it was you ! :-o

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean you are "not" the one who sold the plans for it to Sochting ??? Wow ... I was convinced it was you ! :-o
Well if I had indeed invented the Oxydator I think I would have done a far better job of advertising and promoting it :wink:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back