Astarina Starfish

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy,

I am becoming worried that my tank is overun with asterina starfish... I remove about 20 a day and it doesn't seem to effect the overall population, I find them munching on coralline on the back wall as well as munching on zoanthid stalks.

I am trying to mitigate them, but they're just too many? They're like vermetid snails... I am tempted to torch this tank, it's been nothing but headaches.

Are harlequin shrimp easy to find?

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you able to pull any rock out of the tank and pluck off even more at a time— maybe double or triple— than you can get at with the rocks in the water?

Is this the LFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy,

I am becoming worried that my tank is overun with asterina starfish... I remove about 20 a day and it doesn't seem to effect the overall population, I find them munching on coralline on the back wall as well as munching on zoanthid stalks.

I am trying to mitigate them, but they're just too many? They're like vermetid snails... I am tempted to torch this tank, it's been nothing but headaches.

It ain’t super rare for my lfs to get them in. I’m on the west coast of the US btw. U could always request your lfs to order them or just order through live aquaria if u like

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It ain’t super rare for my lfs to get them in. I’m on the west coast of the US btw. U could always request your lfs to order them or just order through live aquaria if u like
I'm definitely gonna keep my eye out - just nervous about rehoming after

Double monti 61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a pest numbers can increase or decrease possibly due to increase or decrease of food if they do not eat your precious coral then why do you want to kill them!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Howdy,

with patience, keep pulling them daily. Eventually you will realize the herd is thinning out. A harlequin shrimp or two will also help thin them out. They can be evasive and destructive.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I find them nibbling on zoanthid stalks all the time
They will take them down. Stop them as best as possible. I caught this Bugger over a year ago eating a colony of bam Bam zoas. Notice its larger than a nickle !!

star2.jpg
star1.jpg

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with patience, keep pulling them daily. Eventually you will realize the herd is thinning out. A harlequin shrimp or two will also help thin them out. They can be evasive and destructive.
To be completely honest, this tank isn't going to be around much longer, I love it as it was my first, and I have learned a lot, but end of summer I am moving in with my fiance, and she's approved the larger 180 gallon build ;)

I think I am going to slowly start cutting a piece of each coral and growing out in my frag tank and decommissioning this tank so if the shrimp reeks havoc I won't be as upset.

This tank is riddled with vermetid snails and ever lasting dino's.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you torch your tank and start with new/or bleach your current rocks to rid them of pests, I can give you one of my Marine Pure blocks to seed your system. Only pests in my system are bristle worms.

Buckster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't remember the person who owns a particular store but he submitted an article regarding that he went in at 3:00 am ish and his partners tank was infested with asterina snails. Showed photo's of the tank and was amazed that all the corals were flourishing and not disturbed by the Asterina's. Due to this article I stopped removing them from my tank and I haven't noticed them feasting. Maybe they eat my hair algae!

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't remember the person who owns a particular store but he submitted an article regarding that he went in at 3:00 am ish and his partners tank was infested with asterina snails. Showed photo's of the tank and was amazed that all the corals were flourishing and not disturbed by the Asterina's. Due to this article I stopped removing them from my tank and I haven't noticed them feasting. Maybe they eat my hair algae!
I feel like it's just a me thing but when I don't manually remove there are so many and they're definitely eating coralline as when I remove them you can see the removed coralline

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back