Asterina Star reproduction?

Rugops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One study reported an adult harlequin was able to consume 2 inches of Linckia star arm every one or two days.
I don't know whether it was a male or female (females eat more for those who don't know) and although it was just one study, it shows how much they are capable of eating.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One study reported an adult harlequin was able to consume 2 inches of Linckia star arm every one or two days.
I don't know whether it was a male or female (females eat more for those who don't know) and although it was just one study, it shows how much they are capable of eating.
Oh wow yeah my plan of having one in my nano just isnt feasible for their health then and I dont have the money to be constantly buying chocolate chip stars for them either!

Rugops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow yeah my plan of having one in my nano just isnt feasible for their health then and I dont have the money to be constantly buying chocolate chip stars for them either!
Yeah unfortunately. They are cool though!

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had many of them in my 125 G., well over 300. So I got the harlequin shrimp. It was very small. I put it in a 40 G where I would be able to see it and fed the stars to her. It took approximately 9 month and most of the stars were gone. the shrimp was no longer tiny, grew quite a bit, but
I returned to the LFS as I did not want it to starve. Your pico is too small, shrimps eat at least 3 or 4 stars a day.
I will repeat the process if needed as the stars are coming back. It is a fun shrimp to have, but I do not think your tank is big enough.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had many of them in my 125 G., well over 300. So I got the harlequin shrimp. It was very small. I put it in a 40 G where I would be able to see it and fed the stars to her. It took approximately 9 month and most of the stars were gone. the shrimp was no longer tiny, grew quite a bit, but
I returned to the LFS as I did not want it to starve. Your pico is too small, shrimps eat at least 3 or 4 stars a day.
I will repeat the process if needed as the stars are coming back. It is a fun shrimp to have, but I do not think your tank is big enough.
Yeah that makes sense! I cant put one in my 125, the trigger would rip it up! I might ve able to in the 70 if I wanted one eventually but Ive got a baby dwarf fuzzy lion in there and shes for sure growing! Ill pass on the shrimp. The little star is cute though, moved it to my nano

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if they try to eat rock flowers? Ive got the little guy in my nano and thats what its mostly going to be with only stock as two clownfish. Also does anyone know if mine is a bad kind of star? Its strange because its only got 4 legs
Yours likely has 4 legs as it’s already reproduced. These guys can reproduce easily by just losing limbs that will regrow.
No they don’t eat RFAs but will potentially turn on many different corals (Duncan, Zoas, Leptastrea, Frammers ect).

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yours likely has 4 legs as it’s already reproduced. These guys can reproduce easily by just losing limbs that will regrow.
No they don’t eat RFAs but will potentially turn on many different corals (Duncan, Zoas, Leptastrea, Frammers ect).
Cool I figured they would sting the star but just wanted to be sure! And oh okay well hopefully I dont get an infestation haha

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool I figured they would sting the star but just wanted to be sure! And oh okay well hopefully I dont get an infestation haha
If you get an infestation, "rent an harlequin", and when the star are gone, return it to your LFS. This way you would have enjow the shrimp for a little while.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I dread these little (**&$$^+). They in the past took down by bam bam zoa colony and several weeks ago I brought in acro mounted to tiles and they appeared. I pull 2-8 a day. They are multiplying quickly and ironically have started on my current bam bam colony- They are obviously attracted to bam bam zoa which is where I mainly find them each morning

This is what caught over the weekend

1690213084319.png

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back