Asterina starfish in sump?

CrazyCatLady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for my first (stupid) question since joining. :D

I have read the love/hate relationships people have with asterina starfish. I have a tank full of zoas and other softies, so I am hesitant to have them in my DT, but can I put them in my sump/refugium without it destroying my ecosystem?

We are tearing down a little 24 AIO and with no rock or fish in there, I'm noticing all the asterinas on the glass. I have a hard time with the idea of just plucking them out and flushing them, but I also don't want to put them in my sump if they will just end up wreaking havoc on everything. I know harlequin shrimp will snack on them, but once I run out, I don't have the heart to cut off limbs of other starfish to feed it.

Zer0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the past I always relocated them to the fuge in my sump, had all kinds of macroalgae and I never saw them do much to them. Assuming they are the non-predacious species, I’m fairly certain their diet consists mostly of film algae.

ctnguye3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In my previous tank, these starfish literally took over. Every water change I would syphon as much as I can. I personally would remove them unless you're okay with them multiplying like crazy in your display and sump.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Time for my first (stupid) question since joining. :D

I have read the love/hate relationships people have with asterina starfish. I have a tank full of zoas and other softies, so I am hesitant to have them in my DT, but can I put them in my sump/refugium without it destroying my ecosystem?

We are tearing down a little 24 AIO and with no rock or fish in there, I'm noticing all the asterinas on the glass. I have a hard time with the idea of just plucking them out and flushing them, but I also don't want to put them in my sump if they will just end up wreaking havoc on everything. I know harlequin shrimp will snack on them, but once I run out, I don't have the heart to cut off limbs of other starfish to feed it.
They will eventually make it to your return pump and into your display tank- reason why I eliminate them immediately. They are worse than mice and not to trust.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will eventually make it to your return pump and into your display tank- reason why I eliminate them immediately. They are worse than mice and not to trust.
Worse than mice. That is an image.... sneaky mice putting starfish in your aquarium. LOL I have them from time to time, they never get out of hand.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Worse than mice. That is an image.... sneaky mice putting starfish in your aquarium. LOL I have them from time to time, they never get out of hand.
I had some grow to larger than a nickle and took down a colony of Bam Bam zoas ( a 7" x 5" colony !!

star1.jpg

OP
OP
CrazyCatLady

CrazyCatLady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I was afraid of...

Guess it's time to put my game face on and either flush the little boogers, or find someone who lives close by that has a harlequin.

Thanks!

coralreefer123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my previous tank, these starfish literally took over. Every water change I would syphon as much as I can. I personally would remove them unless you're okay with them multiplying like crazy in your display and sump.
Do you have any that I could take off your hands? I would need them shipped (i would pay). Thanks, Ann

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha this made me laugh, if they are worse than mice there’s a problem. Mice multiply faster than anything it’s crazy

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Haha this made me laugh, if they are worse than mice there’s a problem. Mice multiply faster than anything it’s crazy
The issue is, you only need ONE hitchhiker. They break a leg literally and it becomes a new star. They both again break of a leg and you now have 4. They break off a leg and you now have eight and so forth.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue is, you only need ONE hitchhiker. They break a leg literally and it becomes a new star. They both again break of a leg and you now have 4. They break off a leg and you now have eight and so forth.
For some reason I still see a few in my tank even though I have a harlequin

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
For some reason I still see a few in my tank even though I have a harlequin
Shrimp will take them one by one. as its doing that , another one or three are reproducing. Eventually they catch up to them

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shrimp will take them one by one. as its doing that , another one or three are reproducing. Eventually they catch up to them
Should I stop buying him chocolate chip starfishes until they are gone? I always see one or two asterinas but maybe he can’t see them

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back