At R2R you’re my brother, you’re my sister...

Do you look at R2R as more of a community or just a forum?

• More of a community....

Votes: 338 67.6%
  • More of a forum....

Votes: 162 32.4%

• Total voters
OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok, I'll be the opposing viewpoint :)

It's a forum. See? Down in the lower left corner? Forum software by XenForo.

For this poll to be effective, you're going to need to define 'forum' and 'community'.

I belong to another group who's byline is
Family, Friends, Community

That group meets, face to face, fairly regularly. We _also_ have online interaction, but that's not the only, or even the primary method of group communication. That would be my baseline for a community. Actually 'knowing' the other members. Excepting the 2 or 3 local folks that I know, who are _also_ members of this forum, I wouldn't have the foggiest idea how to get together with the other members here. If the forum were closed, that'd be the end of it.

Not sure that being a forum is a negative... R2R is an EXCELLENT forum. It's run in a fair manner, welcoming to all, doesn't condone the idiocy that is so pervasive in online forums... The fact that it is a forum should not belittle the efforts of the people who make this forum work. However... IF the intent is to make R2R into a community, IMHO, we'd need to do regular R2R meets, coral shows, parties... something OTHER than forum interaction. Nothing wrong with being a forum, but if the mission is to move beyond being a forum, IMHO, some other method of interaction is required.

LOVE this point of view! Thank you for the insight as it will help us progress towards being an even more encompassing community in the future. We have talked about R2R Meet Ups and that is still something I would like to see come together!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My family can feel like Jerry Springer rejects some times. I'll prefer to go with community. I'd hate to start thinking of you guys and gals as family, I might leave! :p

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Agreed and well said Rev!

All very true words....

This is simply a great place to hang out

One of the things that separates R2R from other forums I have been apart of is that it feels like it is a big community trying to help each other and figure out the puzzle that is reefing as a group, rather than individuals sharing knowledge.

Thanks @revhtree for setting it up and helping establish that culture!

I strongly agree

I have rarely seen a forum that has strived harder to be a community! I miss the days when forums were generally more community minded, which is why I enjoy R2R so much...

This is an amazing community, and a forum. We welcome everyone here to our large family!

Definitely a community, and a great one at that

Me to Rev and I’m free anytime, but I only do business class to the US! Lol

This site is simply the best on the web by a very long way, and thats because it’s just so friendly, with a knowledge base that’s unbelievable, and that’s why even though I’m in the UK I spend time here.

Without a doubt, whole-heatedly agree.

It's easy for us to forget sometimes that we are all on the same team. Discourse, difference of opinion, and variety of experiences/knowledge are what makes this community (and hobby at large) better.

We are on the same side, we are in this together. :)

I love this place so happy I found it. I find the answers to problems I have and can use my years of experience to help others. Questions asked by new reefers are answered with care and compassion and not snidely and attitude like on other sites. There is a true feeling of fellowship here that has had me coming back. Keep up the work everyone it’s what make this site stand above the rest.

Honestly, for a while, I was beginning to wonder.

Then, I started talking to a few folks here who, not only changed my mind, but, helped to pull me out of a "reef depression" I had gotten into and get me excited about reefing again.

@Katrina71 @Captain Quint @Flippers4pups @crusso1993 @acesfull44 @Manose You all are amazing people and have become friends that I needed. There are many more who are fantastic as well.

@actik I sure hope you keep on growing in this hobby. I think you seeking me out for advice and learning from what I can tell you really helped as well.

So, yes, now I feel like this place is a family again.!

Agreed!! I’m both happy and proud to be a small part of the R2R family!

This forum is like “Reef Church”. You learn and grow and get to communicate with fellow reefers. This has been my best source of knowledge in the hobby bar none. Supplemented with YouTube you are only limited by your own desire for knowledge.

count me in.

Thank you all and well said!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My family can feel like Jerry Springer rejects some times. I'll prefer to go with community. I'd hate to start thinking of you guys and gals as family, I might leave! :p

Lol. It's all in your head!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

You know, it wouldn't be a bad idea to set meet up, up. Yes, we go to reef conventions. But why not strive for R2R conventions? Use the power of reefing for good. Power comes from numbers.

Agreed!

Fully agree!

Now, as family, I have a beef with you Rev.......I now get get this song out of my head! :cool:

Thanks now I do too! HA!

I agree Rev! Great community to be apart of!

Thanks everyone!

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know... if R2R were to do regional meetups... left coast, right coast, somewhere in flyover country, book a hotel conference room, invite industry vendors at reasonable booth rates, get a few of our more knowledgeable members to speak, a reasonable door fee to cover the room, I can't imagine it wouldn't fly. I'd be in, for certain. There's a hundred thousand folks on here, right? You get 1% turnout at each event, charge $10 a head, that's ten grand. Plenty to book a nice room.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
YES!!! And this is the primary reason that I LOVE R2R! We are a community, and we strive to help one another (and that includes things hobby related and not). I love that the atmosphere here is one that shows respect even when there are a divergence of opinions, and I love that this is a place where all viewpoints are allowed and hobbyists of all levels are accepted! Let's keep making this place a great and happy place to be! #R2R4Life!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, for a while, I was beginning to wonder.

Then, I started talking to a few folks here who, not only changed my mind, but, helped to pull me out of a "reef depression" I had gotten into and get me excited about reefing again.

@Katrina71 @Captain Quint @Flippers4pups @crusso1993 @acesfull44 @Manose You all are amazing people and have become friends that I needed. There are many more who are fantastic as well.

@actik I sure hope you keep on growing in this hobby. I think you seeking me out for advice and learning from what I can tell you really helped as well.

So, yes, now I feel like this place is a family again.!

@dantimdad - Thanks Brother! The feeling is mutual but this still doesn't mean I'm ever going to let you slide on anything! :D

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dantimdad - Thanks Brother! The feeling is mutual but this still doesn't mean I'm ever going to let you slide on anything! :D

I would think your wife took your phone if you ever did. LOL!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like what @Greybeard had to say about the forum aspect. I like the idea of creating R2R Meet-Ups too.

I will add that R2R, for me, is just as anything else in my life; it's always about what I'm willing to put into it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back