ATI Essentials dosing recommendations

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a question but could it be that that part of the essentials need to be keep at a certain temperature ? So that I won’t do that ?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a question but could it be that that part of the essentials need to be keep at a certain temperature ? So that I won’t do that ?

This product is pretty dilute, but the alk part of many two parts is close to saturation and very cold temps can precipitate some (it will dissolve in the tank). That is not what you are seeing the the seawater.

Finhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This product is pretty dilute, but the alk part of many two parts is close to saturation and very cold temps can precipitate some (it will dissolve in the tank). That is not what you are seeing the the seawater.

Ok then I have no idea what would be causing the exact same ( at least it looks identical) bacteria or whatever it is in the tank water as the Essentials #1.

I think I will clean the contaiers very well and go back to regular 2 part dosing and see how it goes for another month. If i clears up I would have to be part of whatever is in the Essentials dosing.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok then I have no idea what would be causing the exact same ( at least it looks identical) bacteria or whatever it is in the tank water as the Essentials #1.

I think I will clean the contaiers very well and go back to regular 2 part dosing and see how it goes for another month. If i clears up I would have to be part of whatever is in the Essentials dosing.
I'm wondering your the bacteria is coming from your water source through your Rodi. Because Rodi does not kill bacteria from what I understand. I have had this issue in the past. I took my Rodi unit apart and sanitized it and put all new media in it and it stopped. I had also cleaned and sanitized my ATO tank and anything having to do with it such as pipes, tubes and pumps. I haven't had the issue in quite some time since I've done that. I'm on a well and the bacteria came from my well. I had a well company come out and sanitize my well as well as my house Plumbing.

Finhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering your the bacteria is coming from your water source through your Rodi. Because Rodi does not kill bacteria from what I understand. I have had this issue in the past. I took my Rodi unit apart and sanitized it and put all new media in it and it stopped. I had also cleaned and sanitized my ATO tank and anything having to do with it such as pipes, tubes and pumps. I haven't had the issue in quite some time since I've done that. I'm on a well and the bacteria came from my well. I had a well company come out and sanitize my well as well as my house Plumbing.

No I believe I isolated the cause of the bacteria in the tank and the 2 part, nothing to do with my RODI.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps a small UV unit on incoming RODI water would help prsnlty
Yes, I believe so also. There's actually a 1000w uv unit built onto my water line just inside the house that we never used that was put here by the previous owner over 13 years ago. I guess now we know why LOL! So we're going to look up the bulbs for it and order one :D I'm also installing a 57 watt UV at my sump in the meantime :D

OP
OP
J

jrp1588

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured it's about time for an update. Things have mostly gone well. I did run into an issue when things got really busy around the holidays and I didn't get much time to test and mess with the tank. My skimmer had stopped producing skimmate, and somehow I didn't notice for weeks. This lead to a pretty sharp rise in phosphate. My tank generally runs extremely low on phosphate (I actually dosed it for a good while), so a few of my SPS got pretty unhappy. This lead to slower growth, which caused my alk and calcium to sneak up on me.

I seem to have got things back in balance now though, and I'm back to weekly testing (2x a week for alk). Phosphate is back to .04, and will probably be unreadable again by next week. My red monti cap is coloring back up, and my big acro that stopped growing and got a bit pale is coming around.

On a positive note, my LPS have been looking great. My acans have never looked bigger or brighter.
phos.PNG
alk.PNG

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back