ATI Essentials dosing recommendations

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually do keep my weight room just down the hall from my tank. I hit it pretty hard, and I've never noticed a pH dip.

As for essentials, tank seems pretty business as usual so far.
Jackie's husband is a smoker so she can be out shopping and (lol) she knows when he comes home :D

Glad the ATI E's are doing just fine for you and thanks for keeping us updated.

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7 days in... 44ml equal parts 1,2 &3 24/doses throughout day.
Alk 7.85
Calc 440
Mag 1380

No difficulty transitioning, all went smooth... Prior to start I was 7.85 ,425, 1350 during process the lowest my Alk dropped was 7.7
Now just to continue keeping parameters consistent and wait for some type of results to report ;)

joeyhatch11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently running the KZ Coral System on my 220 and have gone 4 months now with zero water changes. I'm considering switching to this product simply due to the over all cost while still achieving the same results. If I'm currently dosing BRS additives through a doser, can I start the ATI product with the same values while testing to see if I need to make changes? Currently dosing 75ml day of alk to maintain a 8, 55ml of calcium to maintain a 460 and 25ml a day of magnesium to hold a 1460. With everything doing VERY well, mainly SPS dominated tank, Id hate for something to go south switching over to this product. But the KZ coral system is costing me $100 every 4 months for 500ml at which I dose 30ml once a week. This product would last far longer plus from what Ive read, its doing a great job for everyone. Thoughts please as Im on the fence with the switch. Thanks Joe

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently running the KZ Coral System on my 220 and have gone 4 months now with zero water changes. I'm considering switching to this product simply due to the over all cost while still achieving the same results. If I'm currently dosing BRS additives through a doser, can I start the ATI product with the same values while testing to see if I need to make changes? Currently dosing 75ml day of alk to maintain a 8, 55ml of calcium to maintain a 460 and 25ml a day of magnesium to hold a 1460. With everything doing VERY well, mainly SPS dominated tank, Id hate for something to go south switching over to this product. But the KZ coral system is costing me $100 every 4 months for 500ml at which I dose 30ml once a week. This product would last far longer plus from what Ive read, its doing a great job for everyone. Thoughts please as Im on the fence with the switch. Thanks Joe

As noted above, the ATI product is more dilute and requires a larger volume to be dosed.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose the KZ Coral Snow (at times) with Red Sea Reef Energy and I like that KZ product.
But, It's a high dollar product and you can buy the powder from Amazon and mix it yourself.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/diy-kz-coral-snow-with-97-purity.211722/#post-2424204

joeyhatch11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose the KZ Coral Snow (at times) with Red Sea Reef Energy and I like that KZ product.
But, It's a high dollar product and you can buy the powder from Amazon and mix it yourself.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/diy-kz-coral-snow-with-97-purity.211722/#post-2424204
Only things I'm using from the KZ line is the KZ Coral System. Meant to replenish the major trace elements in the tank. While still dosing alk, cal and magnesium. Never heard of the "snow" or used it.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or that the heavy breathing was just her doing a workout. :D
Jackie's husband is a smoker so she can be out shopping and (lol) she knows when he comes home :D

Glad the ATI E's are doing just fine for you and thanks for keeping us updated.
I actually do keep my weight room just down the hall from my tank. I hit it pretty hard, and I've never noticed a pH dip.

As for essentials, tank seems pretty business as usual so far.
Lol,
When @prsnlty 's husband comes back home from making a long trucking run. She can always tell that he's there from watching the ph on her Apex Fusion :D

She's the best and has the funniest build thread at times :)
You guys are so funny! Lol!!!

Yes, He's a smoker and not allowed to smoke in the house... if I'm not home he sits by the 180 or in the same room and smokes [emoji36] it drops the ph pretty quickly. I still haven't told him how I catch him aside from the Zep Smoke Oder Eliminater spray in the air (also adding to ph dropping) which he is also not allowed to use in that room! [emoji28]

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are so funny! Lol!!!

Yes, He's a smoker and not allowed to smoke in the house... if I'm not home he sits by the 180 or in the same room and smokes [emoji36] it drops the ph pretty quickly. I still haven't told him how I catch him aside from the Zep Smoke Oder Eliminater spray in the air (also adding to ph dropping) which he is also not allowed to use in that room! [emoji28]
Jackie,
Your so funny :D

Freddie

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jrp1588

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still nothing to report really, other than some fiddling with the doser calibration. Pump 3 seems to be pulling noticeably slower than the other two, despite calibrating a couple times. As for corals, I might be seeing a slight bump in color on a few of them.

Over the holidays I was talking to my brother, a chemical engineer, about all the chemistry involved in the hobby and how we're even getting into ICP testing now. He seemed intrigued. I'm hoping I can get him on board with the hobby so I can get water chemistry advice from him. Also, someone in my family would finally understand what to get me for Christmas and my birthday. haha

Finhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I would post this here as well see if any of the people that have posted in this thread have run across this yet?

I've been dosing the ATI Essentials for 2 months now, that's the soonest I could get it here in Canada. Growth and coloring in corals has been fantasitc but I am getting what I assume is a bacteria build up on the return pump/pipes and the drain pipes. It builds up within 2-3 weeks and starts letting loose into the display tank when the return is shut off and back on for feeding.
The only thing I am dosing is the ATI Essentials, I feed one time a day and use Amino Acids at 1/2 the amount listed every 2 days.
I checked my dosing containers today to see if it was present in any of the solution and it looks to be coming from the #1 Alk mix, #2 and #3 are perfectly clear still. This was only mixed 16 days ago with fresh made 0 TDS RODI water.

Anyone have any ideas what would cause this?

jxYWFr2T_o.jpg

NQUcJjlV_o.jpg

cchomistek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested to hear if anyone else has had this issue. I have not mixed my first batch up as of yet but if I see anything when I do I will let you know.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was under the impression that essentials #1 was only carbonate sources. Is that false?
Were the soda stream bottles previously used for soda? Perhaps there was still presence of H2CO3 and its a salt or precipitate?

Finhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacteria (if that is what it is) would be driven to grow by adding organics. The amino acids would fall into that category.

Yes I thought of this as well but at 1/2 dose (5ml for 60gal) and every 2nd day would that be enough to cause the bacteria/slime. The only other time I have seen this is in my previous tank when I was carbon dosing and added too much to find the max level I could add to my Kalk top off.

Finhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was under the impression that essentials #1 was only carbonate sources. Is that false?
Were the soda stream bottles previously used for soda? Perhaps there was still presence of H2CO3 and its a salt or precipitate?

No sir they were brand new rinsed with heated RODI water and made into the dosing containers. We don't use our Soda Stream for anything but carbonated water regardless. ;)

Finhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacteria (if that is what it is) would be driven to grow by adding organics. The amino acids would fall into that category.

Sorry for the triple post, thoguht I should include some pics of what I'm dealing with. The first is the white floating pieces in my return section which flushs out of my pipes when I shut the return off for feeding. They look exactly like what is in the #1 Essentials dosing container, like mysis shells shells for lack of a better description. The next 2 are my return pump and plumbing to show the slime. This was 3 weeks after I cleaned it the first time.

EgvBIA8B_o.jpg

6p5RfvqS_o.jpg

hJ4mi8D2_o.jpg

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back