ATI Essentials dosing recommendations

Discussion in 'Reef Chemistry by Randy Holmes-Farley' started by jrp1588, Dec 16, 2017.

1. GoVols

GoVols Cobb-Webb 1989 R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader MTRCMember Build Thread Contributor Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Partner Member 2018 Partner Member 2019

Can you keep your thread going a report back to us with your findings and incite?

Rakie's corals are really awesome but he also knows it's also about nutrients / water changes and lighting too.

drawman likes this.

2. jrp1588

jrp1588 Active Member

I'll report whatever is worth reporting. Didn't get around to actually getting the dosing online last night. My RO water was absurdly cold, so the powder wasn't wanting to mix. I put it in a warm bath, and it all dissolved just in time for bed.

GoVols likes this.
  3. truepercs

truepercs Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

Over the weekend I made the transition to ATI essentials. 45 gallon+sump I was using B-ionic 2 part at 20ml per day.
    I really was concerned about switching over. Started my daily dose at 40ml... Set my doser to dose every hour on a 24 hour cycle. After 2 hours I checked my Alk parameter the value did not change from the original reading prior to the ATI transition. I waited another 4 hours and tested again, still parameters were unchanged (ALK). Waited another 8 hours and checked the same. Then 16 hours and checked... Basically doubling the hours for each next check since the values were where I wanted them. I started early Saturday, on Monday I checked Alk,Calc, and Mag all in my target ranges. I have made slight adjustments of 1 ml I am at 42.00 ml (1,2&3) and all parameters are in check. From reading posts I must have lucked out...
    I really expected troubles however it went fairly smooth for me. (I used the 10 liter kit, mixed all in separate 5gal buckets and have 1/2 gallon glass milk jugs for dosing)

Prior to switching over I bought all new hoses for my doser, made sure my doser was calibrated, etc... I even put a small mark on each one of the containers so that I could see if dosing was unequal... four days all is well!

My thought was to focus on ALK & check often, if I seen a slight movement in one direction or the other I could alter the dose settings slightly as my tests indicated. I did not want to wait a day before finding out ALK was really high or really low. Not sure how folks are approaching their switch however this approach worked for me.(yes I lost a bit of sleep however I believe I would have lost more sleep the next day had I woke to dead coral before checking anything)

One other thing, parts 2 and 3 did raise up my calcium and magnesium slightly higher than what they were kept originally however not that much still in my target range.
    For simplicity... I am going to try to keep all doses equal unless I see values creeping one way or the other.

image1.jpeg

I usually check my Alkalinity each day, if things are fine I may let it slip a day.
    Right now I am checking ALK each day I get home ;)
    I check other parameters once a week (most of the time)

After a month or so I am going to send my water in for a test.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    GoVols and Finhead like this.
  4. jrp1588

jrp1588 Active Member

Alright, we're online, pumps calibrated, programs updated, parameters checked. Hold on to your butts. 20171219_200439.jpg

Pelagic One, GoVols and Finhead like this.
  5. jrp1588

jrp1588 Active Member

Already running into an issue. Took a peek at things this morning before work. The lines for pump 2 are pulling air somehow, which has resulted in a noticeable difference in how much solution has been dosed. Didn't have time to fix it, so I'll be zip-tieing all the connections when I get home.

GoVols likes this.
  6. Finhead

Finhead Active Member

I ran into exactly this issue when I first set this up. I ran Kalk previously so never had a dosing pump, airline check valves on the output side of the doser heads worked for me.

GoVols likes this.
  7. jrp1588

jrp1588 Active Member

It's been an ongoing issue with my setup. I've actually got a check valve on that line. Zip ties fixed it before. I think the barb fitting on my reservoir isn't as big as it should be, so it doesn't get a real tight fit.

GoVols likes this.
  8. Finhead

Finhead Active Member

I see I replaced the barb fitting off my pump head with the check valves and used the barb to build my dosing containers so everything is snug with silicone line.

[​IMG]

GoVols likes this.
  9. Greenstreet.1

Greenstreet.1 Valuable Member

Question for you guys my ATI should be here tomorrow how do you guys breakup the dosing during the day so that 1,2 and 3 don’t get mixed together in the sump ?

GoVols likes this.
  10. jrp1588

jrp1588 Active Member

My doser automatically staggers them a bit.

11. Finhead

Finhead Active Member

I set mine to run #1 every hour, #2 every 30min after #1 and #3 every 15 between. They all drip into my bubble trap section before the return pump so there is constant movement.

12. Greenstreet.1

Greenstreet.1 Valuable Member

Thank you reefers for the reply’s

GoVols and Finhead like this.
  13. jrp1588

jrp1588 Active Member

Here's a moderately interesting thing to report. Check my pH graph. It's noticeably less spiky since changing over from the BRS stuff. I guess with the more dilute solution, it takes twice as long to deliver the same amount of alk, so the pH increase is a lot more gradual and doesn't cause a localized spike near my pH probe.

Alk is stable so far.

ph.PNG

GoVols likes this.
  14. truepercs

I staggered the dose times 15 minutes apart

Ie... 1-1:15, 2-1:30, 3-1:45

GoVols likes this.
  15. truepercs

If adding zip ties were your only issue I say it sounds like your transition was a success.

16. Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley Reef Chemist Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Expert Contributor

Did you post the previous graph somewhere? I'm curious how the daily maximum high and low pH values also responded. :)

An alternative (or additional) explanation for smaller spikes is that ATI uses a lower pH version of a two part, which is also a reason one would have it be less potent (sodium bicarbonate is less soluble than sodium carbonate) and require dosing more (like ESV B-ionic Original vs ESV B-ionic Bicarbonate, or my Recipe #1 vs Recipe #2).

GoVols likes this.
  17. jrp1588

jrp1588 Active Member

Check December 19th around the top of the pH curve on. That's when I switched over.

GoVols likes this.
  18. Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley Reef Chemist Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Expert Contributor

Thanks. I think I'll ask them if the product is primarily bicarbonate (no pH boost)or carbonate (with pH boost) or a mix. :)

GoVols likes this.
  19. Randy Holmes-Farley

GoVols likes this.
  20. jrp1588

jrp1588 Active Member

Cool, I'm subscribed. So far the pH curve is looking pretty consistent with what I had before, just smoother.

GoVols likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted