OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call me crazy but if I had to get a lab test on my sand before using it, I might as well avoid it ;) I know what you're saying though. Reef products can be real frustrating sometimes..

This is why on my new build, that is shipping in as we speak(I'm excited like a kid on christmas eve), I'm just going with aragonite. All black sand is beautiful but I just can't trust any more of the Tahitian. Hawaiian is nice, but its just to coarse for my liking and may still have the possibility of metallic inclusions. I could so with one of the mixed aragonite and pumice choices, or even mix my own, but the chance of metal is still there, and its really coarse... I'd like a few sand sleeping wrasse, my dwarf moray likes digging under rocks and I may add a pistol shrimp and goby pair in the new system.

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why on my new build, that is shipping in as we speak(I'm excited like a kid on christmas eve), I'm just going with aragonite. All black sand is beautiful but I just can't trust any more of the Tahitian. Hawaiian is nice, but its just to coarse for my liking and may still have the possibility of metallic inclusions. I could so with one of the mixed aragonite and pumice choices, or even mix my own, but the chance of metal is still there, and its really coarse... I'd like a few sand sleeping wrasse, my dwarf moray likes digging under rocks and I may add a pistol shrimp and goby pair in the new system.

Likewise, I too have given up on an onyx indoor slice of the ocean. I ordered 160 pounds of Bimini pink today.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you seen this "ocean direct" stuff?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000YJMYPG/ref=psdc_3048864011_t1_B000EM2BRO

It's unclear to me what the difference is...

Looks like it's straight from the ocean floor...

"Different than all other live Sand products on the market. This live Sand utilizes patent pending sea breathe technology; which preserves real live Sand with its own Original bacteria. Every bag of Ocean direct is alive and breathing with up to 1000 times more beneficial bacteria than other preservation methods. Every grain of Ocean direct is coated with bacteria and encapsulated by capillary action in a thin film of real Ocean water. The thin film is open to the atmosphere for unparalleled gas exchange. This results in high counts of natural and beneficial bacteria with no noxious buildup of metabolic by-products. Ocean direct provides you with a thriving, natural aquarium in minutes!"

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assumed the other stuff was from the ocean floor too.... No?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting! Would love to know if people have better experience with one or the other. I wonder what @brandon429 would say about this. I'd think you wouldn't want to rinse it and kill of what's in there....

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting! Would love to know if people have better experience with one or the other. I wonder what @brandon429 would say about this. I'd think you wouldn't want to rinse it and kill of what's in there....
You aren't going to kill what is in there by rinsing it, unless you rinse it with bleach.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm tempted to try it on the one hand, but I'd really like to not have problems with my reboot on the other :)

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FOLLOW UP:

So, as I described in a post or two above, I started a new tank with Carib-Sea IP black sand on 2/23 of this year. (Rocks were dry and processed/cured outside the DT first, and I used Coral Pro salt with RODI water.) While not as high as this thread's OP experienced, my first Triton/ATI results on 4/05 did show mildly elevated nickel and vanadium levels.

I recently sent a second set of ICPOES tests on 6/21. In the interim since the first test, I'm vacuumed the sand occasionally, and done less than 5% water change per week. Livestock, including multiple BTAs, are doing well overall, although I've had a couple of animals die (probably due to low nitrate/phosphate.)

Since the first test, the nickel level remains mildly elevated although stable at 13-17 ppb. This is pretty much good (or at least not terrible) news, as I was concerned that more nickel could be leaching from the ferromagnetic black sand. However, the vanadium level is now 19-25 ppb, a ten-fold increase compared to the previous test. As before, the black sand remains the most likely source of this level, and it appears to be rising.

Again I am left with the question of whether these levels have any significance. And whether I should just remove this sand. The problem is that so many bad events happen in this hobby without obvious explanation that one is tempted to make everything measurable as perfect as possible, just to avoid another source of 'what if'. So now I have to get my vanadium down. I guess.

Edit: This information, although anecdotal, if confirmed as universal makes me wonder whether black sand can ethically continue being sold as a marine aquarium substrate.

Last edited:

acrylic2k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmmm

My first post here was about Metazorb and Polyfilter use after a Triton test came back with high vanadium and high nickel.

Most of my sand was white crushed coral.....but I did add a layer of black sand to cut down on light glare.

I still have most of that bag laying around somewhere. I suppose I could fill a cup with RO water and sand, let it sit for a month and then test that water.......

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all black sand is bad. I set up my reef tank with Carib-Sea black sand 4 1/2 years ago and have had a very successful SPS tank. I've never had a professional water analysis done because I haven't had any problems growing anything. I've even added several pounds each year to make up for sand lost in vacuuming. Some brands may be better than others.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all black sand is bad. I set up my reef tank with Carib-Sea black sand 4 1/2 years ago and have had a very successful SPS tank. I've never had a professional water analysis done because I haven't had any problems growing anything. I've even added several pounds each year to make up for sand lost in vacuuming. Some brands may be better than others.

You don't know if you have high levels of vanadium, nickel, etc, which might be something that black sand causes, because even if you do, your corals are doing fine, so you don't need to check.

Fair enough. That actually encourages me. :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back