ATI Results (Trace low/Silicon high)

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a problem or just the question on the ICP results?

OP
OP
M

mginster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a problem or just the question on the ICP results?
It was just further questions regarding my low trace. Randy helped me find it was simply poor recommendations on BRS. I should have gone straight to TMs site first.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd try to look beyond BRS for advice.

from it:

Add 1 ml of trace elements (each solution) to each 100 l of aquarium water. The trace element solution must not come into direct contact with the animals.

The dose may be doubled if the corals consume large quantities of trace elements (maximum dosage).
What's your take on this recommendation vs the dose based on tank water volume?
When using Original Balling with K+ and A- Elements, prepare Part A (calcium) for one liter to 950 ml solution and add 50 ml K+ Elements. Then prepare Part B (alkalinity) for one liter to 950 ml solution and add 50 ml A- Elements.

These are the same proportions as in All-For-Reef, just applied to Original Balling. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your take on this recommendation vs the dose based on tank water volume?

Any trace element dosing method based on alk/calcium uptake OR volume is going to be a guess by the manufacturer for a "typical" tank.

I have no idea how good a job any given company does with these sorts of estimates. You have to decide how much you trust a given company.

I would suggest that if you have a very low alk/calcium demand tank and grow macroalgae, to use volume based dosing since alk/calcium demand based dosing will likely underestimate trace element needs.

The reverse is likely true in an SPS heavy tank, especially if one does not grow macroalgae.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any trace element dosing method based on alk/calcium uptake OR volume is going to be a guess by the manufacturer for a "typical" tank.

I have no idea how good a job any given company does with these sorts of estimates. You have to decide how much you trust a given company.

I would suggest that if you have a very low alk/calcium demand tank and grow macroalgae, to use volume based dosing since alk/calcium demand based dosing will likely underestimate trace element needs.

The reverse is likely true in an SPS heavy tank, especially if one does not grow macroalgae.
Could it be summarized that the manufacturers suggested dosing (on the product) may or may not be applicable to your tank and the BRS suggestion also may or may not be applicable to your tank?

Would best practice be to perform ICP tests and adjust your dosage based on the results?

For me, if I aim for the 1ml per 26 gallons of tank water in my BRS alk and calcium I would need to add ~345ml of elements to the gallon. With out testing is that too much, too little or just right? What about the other recommendations out there (BRS: 80/160/330 ml/gal, TM: 190 ml/gal)?

Does anyone know, is the BRS recommendation based off alk/calcium demand, demand for the elements or your best guess at your tanks demand?

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mginster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it be summarized that the manufacturers suggested dosing (on the product) may or may not be applicable to your tank and the BRS suggestion also may or may not be applicable to your tank?

Would best practice be to perform ICP tests and adjust your dosage based on the results?

For me, if I aim for the 1ml per 26 gallons of tank water in my BRS alk and calcium I would need to add ~345ml of elements to the gallon. With out testing is that too much, too little or just right? What about the other recommendations out there (BRS: 80/160/330 ml/gal, TM: 190 ml/gal)?

Does anyone know, is the BRS recommendation based off alk/calcium demand, demand for the elements or your best guess at your tanks demand?

I assume BRS recommendation is based on an "assumed" alk/ca demand. However, it makes 0 sense to me to recommend any quantities of trace (based on demand) to add to another thing we dose based on demand. Alk/ca demand is going to exponentially increase the trace if you also scale it with "assumed demand".

BRS recommendations are probably just a best fit number, they could never accurately recommend something for all tanks. I will be taking it as a starting value and yes as you said, we should just do regular ICP tests and scale from there.

I will be leaving my 2 part alone with 120ml/gal, yet dosing 2-4ml/day of straight trace to get my elements back in order. Once ICP has me closer to ideal values, I will discontinue straight dosing and remain on what comes from 2 part dosing. Then the further ICP tests will help me gauge how quick those are depleting and estimate what to add to my next round of 2 part mixes. Eventually I will find a sweet spot for my specific tank.

Moonshiners would probably get me there quicker, but I really dont have any interest in daily dosing of multiple things and eventually just want to use my automated 2 part and not worry.

In short, do ICP regularly and adjust from there just as you would with any other method.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not BRS trace, but BRS recommendations for the TM trace linked earlier.

Ok, then presumably it is the TM recommendation. TM also indicates that more may be needed.

Add 1 ml of trace elements (each solution) to each 100 l of aquarium water. The trace element solution must not come into direct contact with the animals.

The dose may be doubled if the corals consume large quantities of trace elements (maximum dosage).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back