ATI Results (Trace low/Silicon high)

mginster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot of questions about my recent ATI results. I have been using Tropic Marin 2 Part Trace additives for a few months. The March column is before I began using it and September is after a few months. I am using 120ML per Alk/CA gallon I make (BRS recommendation for Medium consumption). I listed all elements claimed to be in the mix and their corresponding ATI test values.

Questions:
- All of my trace elements are either non-existent or lower than before I even was dosing trace. Am I simply consuming it faster than I am dosing or are there issues anyone knows about using the Tropic Marin trace?
- My Iodine is very low in both cases. I read a lot about people dosing Iodine, yet also see discussion saying its not necessary. What is the consensus? I dont like dosing something I cant test for and AFAIK all the Iodine tests are crap.
- My silicon in my RODI is very high (and my tank appears elevated). Is this just a change in my tap or a bad DI cartridge? I have always gotten 3TDS pre-DI and 0 post-DI.

March (pre-Trace)September (with Trace)
K Elements
Bariumlowlow
Boronnormalnormal
Chromenonenone
Cobaltnonenone
Ironnonenone
Coppernonenone
Manganesenonenone
Nickelnormalnone
Strontiumnormalnormal
Zincnormalhigh
A Elements
Brominenormalnormal
Flourinenormallow
IodineVERY lowVERY low
Lithiumnormalnormal
Molybdenumnormalnormal
Seleniumnormalnormal
Vanadiumnormalnone
Siliconnormalnormal (but double recommended)
RODI
SiliconnoneVERY high (618)
Coppernonehigh
Zincnonehigh

September Results:
1695155565616.png

September RODI:
1695155637918.png

Trace Elements:

Last edited:

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have any feedback, I do appreciate it. I am probably overthinking and overreacting to tests which is what a lot of us do.

Sure I was poking at Taricha because I see the same pattern with ICP-OES all the time.

Anyway, Iodine, Fluoride, barium are almost depleted. Zinc is overdosed. Copper is likely overdosed but is not trustworthy on this analysis.

Also, along with Cu….Fe, Mn, Co, Cr, Se, Ni, and Zn can’t be trusted until their overdosed like Zn. Cu is probably overdosed since it’s showing up. A good value for Cu is under 0.1 ug/L.

Best of luck. Send OCEAMO-MS next time to accurately see them all.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you have a problematic level of diatoms, the Si is no concern.

You might benefit from a trace element supplement such as Tropic Marin A and K.

Make sure you have no metal parts in the water that might be releasing zinc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mginster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you have a problematic level of diatoms, the Si is no concern.

You might benefit from a trace element supplement such as Tropic Marin A and K.

Make sure you have no metal parts in the water that might be releasing zinc.
I am dosing A and K, that is part of the reason I made this post. Over many months, it isn’t detect really much at all in the ICP test.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am dosing A and K, that is part of the reason I made this post. Over many months, it isn’t detect really much at all in the ICP test.

How much are you using?

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty small vocabulary. lol
no. It's just that I've read the whole thread regarding moonshine, and I don't want that to happen again. if traces are low, that's enough reason right there to start. I have had mine going on the shine, 2 years now, and aside from my own issues...the tank is growing very nicely!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no. It's just that I've read the whole thread regarding moonshine, and I don't want that to happen again. if traces are low, that's enough reason right there to start. I have had mine going on the shine, 2 years now, and aside from my own issues...the tank is growing very nicely!

OK, but since he is already using something, dosing more of it would also seem reasonable. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
120ml/gallon of alk/ca solution. The suggestion from BRS for medium consumption.

So how much Tropic Marin A and K per day?

This is the tropic marin recommendation:

Add 1 ml of trace elements (each solution) to each 100 l of aquarium water.

OP
OP
M

mginster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how much Tropic Marin A and K per day?

This is the tropic marin recommendation:

Add 1 ml of trace elements (each solution) to each 100 l of aquarium water.
Just saw you responded to this…

That’s probably my issue. This is also why I never understood the BRS recommendations of 80/160/330ml (based on estimated demand) to add to the 1 gallon of alk/ca. Alk/ca amounts to dose already vary based on demand. Wouldn’t it make more sense to have a constant amount to add to the 2 parts and let your consumption of them control the demand? That would make it like AFR where there is a set amount of trace in it. If we scale the trace mixed into 2 part based on demand, we would be dosing trace exponentially.

Where is the 1ml/100l recommendation? Not saying you are wrong, just didn’t see it on BRS. If that is true that is 4.5ml/d for me and at my current 10ml/d of 2 part would be almost half trace.

But maybe I just realized my own issue, my alk/ca consumption is very low….although everything is growing well.

Either way I could be overthinking it and maybe my nutrients/trace are so low that explains my low consumption. I will bump my 2 parts with more trace when I make some soon.

I do need to figure out my zinc/cu though. It is coming from my RODI and I know I have 0 metal corroding there. I may need additional membranes/di.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd try to look beyond BRS for advice.

from it:

Add 1 ml of trace elements (each solution) to each 100 l of aquarium water. The trace element solution must not come into direct contact with the animals.

The dose may be doubled if the corals consume large quantities of trace elements (maximum dosage).

OP
OP
M

mginster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd try to look beyond BRS for advice.

from it:

Add 1 ml of trace elements (each solution) to each 100 l of aquarium water. The trace element solution must not come into direct contact with the animals.

The dose may be doubled if the corals consume large quantities of trace elements (maximum dosage).

Thank you. Do you think the linked page is exactly the same strength as the one I’m using? I don’t see this one on TM’s site.

Edit: ah yeah it’s not in the photos, but is the one in the video so yeah it’s the same.

But yeah, I will use BRS recommendations with a grain of salt from now on. I don’t get why they don’t simply have you calculate trace ml/day for volume then add that much to 1 gallon of 2 parts based on your current 2 part demand.

I guess my trace is so far off based on their recommendation and possibly does explain my low consumption of CA/Alk.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back