ATI Straton LED Light - Comments, Review, PAR, Coverage, Discuss...

HolySmoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW this dealer has not received any fixtures from our distributor, however they could have purchased them from a secondary distributor like BRS, MD, Champion, Premium etc. They would have paid a premium to do so since they could have used our distributor for the same price the "big boys" pay.
good to know I was just trying to help people out and didn't do much digging.

Jimbo327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with @nornicle that two will certainly work. You would need to play with a PAR meter and raise lower the fixture to optimize for your reef structure and coral placement. There are some posts earlier in the thread where folks were giving values at various heights. You will be pleased with how little light spill there is. I have a couch maybe 8-9 feet away and no trouble.

I put 3 over my 58X24X24 so they are a little tight together.

51580.jpg
This is super nice. I'm not too happy about the mounting options (ceiling only) because I'm not sure I can mount it that way (no attic for me, and most like 36" between joist). I wanted to somehow rig these onto back arms instead of using the ceiling mounts, but can't figure out how to do it...especially if there is external overflow in the way of any center light (3 lights like you guys).

Got any photos of your rail? How does it look? How did you mount the light to the rail. I know ATI said we can use the existing wire, but I'm not sure how clean that will look.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is super nice. I'm not too happy about the mounting options (ceiling only) because I'm not sure I can mount it that way (no attic for me, and most like 36" between joist). I wanted to somehow rig these onto back arms instead of using the ceiling mounts, but can't figure out how to do it...especially if there is external overflow in the way of any center light (3 lights like you guys).

Got any photos of your rail? How does it look? How did you mount the light to the rail. I know ATI said we can use the existing wire, but I'm not sure how clean that will look.
A 2" toggle bolt can hang in sheet rock and support far more than these units weigh, so I would not sweat about that. I'll only qualify that by assuming your house was built to code.

I used a single 20/20 t-slot rail, but you could consider two as it is kinda tricky to get them level front to back. Then used some extruded aluminum Z shaped rail for the shelf. Mine was 3/4 X 1/2 X 3/4 but I added felt to the bottom so as not to scratch the face of the lights. If you do the same, I would choose 3/4 3/4 3/4.

I replaced/upgraded set screw in the bottom of the griplock so that the threading grip was better and the head was larger and fits nicely inside the t-slot.

I really only did this as temporary until the factory rails are available, but the profile is sleek and I may just stay with it.
IMG-5030.jpg
IMG-5031.jpg

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ScottB What % are you starting your LPS preset ramping up to 70%

Thanks
IIRC my fluorescent segment tops out around 25% and the next stage is LPS at 35%, 55%, 75% and back down the same way.

My ALK consumption has leveled now. The bump was really only about 10%. May be time to bump up intensity now.

All SPS are happy. I tried introducing a torch but moved him back to the frag system as he wasn't all that happy.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IIRC my fluorescent segment tops out around 25% and the next stage is LPS at 35%, 55%, 75% and back down the same way.

My ALK consumption has leveled now. The bump was really only about 10%. May be time to bump up intensity now.

All SPS are happy. I tried introducing a torch but moved him back to the frag system as he wasn't all that happy.

I was setting up lights for another reefer, thank you!

IMO I love these lights, but, for whatever reason my LPS just did better under radions and I truly do not understand why. They look good color wise, no loss, but just never returned to their former glory. SPS on the other hand has just exploded with growth and has color like never before so who knows

HolySmoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to share some really helpful graphs I found from Oliver from ATI.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210406-224356_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210406-224356_Facebook.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 121
  • Screenshot_20210406-224402_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210406-224402_Facebook.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 119
  • Screenshot_20210406-224412_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210406-224412_Facebook.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 128
  • Screenshot_20210406-224451_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210406-224451_Facebook.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 114
  • Screenshot_20210406-224521_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210406-224521_Facebook.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 111

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was setting up lights for another reefer, thank you!

IMO I love these lights, but, for whatever reason my LPS just did better under radions and I truly do not understand why. They look good color wise, no loss, but just never returned to their former glory. SPS on the other hand has just exploded with growth and has color like never before so who knows
Are you running the LPS setting or other? I forget.

The torch is accustomed to slightly dirtier water, so it is hard to separate that factor out. My scoli and trachy seem the same as before.

I too am very pleased with these fixtures. I will be especially pleased when summer rolls through and the lights are not adding 2-3 degrees to water temp that my Sunpower did. Might I NOT have to install the fans this year?....

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running LPS setting for his lights, he likes the bluer color. I run SPS/LPS on mine, wife commented and wants me to change ours to the LPS setting now lol. I’m going to keep mine the same.

I did receive 4 sets of straton brackets today so I’m going to build a custom mount for the 4 lights so they stay square and level for me

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running LPS setting for his lights, he likes the bluer color. I run SPS/LPS on mine, wife commented and wants me to change ours to the LPS setting now lol. I’m going to keep mine the same.

I did receive 4 sets of straton brackets today so I’m going to build a custom mount for the 4 lights so they stay square and level for me

Keith set you up with those brackets?

mikeg18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tagging along.

Lots of great info. Thanks to everyone who contributed. I’m still waiting for my tank to arrive so I have some time. Dimensions are 63 x 31.5 x 24” approximately 200gal. Goal is sps dominated reef. Will be deciding between the 4 G5s vs 3 stratons vs whatever Neptune “Sky” will offer.

dbq5anlxj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tagging along.

Lots of great info. Thanks to everyone who contributed. I’m still waiting for my tank to arrive so I have some time. Dimensions are 63 x 31.5 x 24” approximately 200gal. Goal is sps dominated reef. Will be deciding between the 4 G5s vs 3 stratons vs whatever Neptune “Sky” will offer.
Nice. My tank is 60x30x21 peninsula. I'm running 4 g5 pros. The coverage is really good but the ability to reduce showing is really poor. I'm still waiting for my straton. I ordered it one and half months ago. Btw If you go g5 route 8 xr15 will do a way better job than 4 xr30.

mikeg18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you meant shadowing?? Understood however I do not want the associated 8 power cords! I come from the 12k MH tanks that I started in 2000. Tried the early gens of leds. Never did it for me. Excited of the new generations of products.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tagging along.

I went from 5 G5 XR30's to 4 Stratons and the coverage with Stratons is far superior

HolySmoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mikeg18 hold out for the stratons because they are worth every penny. If you like 12K MH you will love the SPS preset on the straton.

Also if you are running the SPS preset you can 100% get away with 2 Stratons over that tank. Save yourself some coin and buy some corals :).

mikeg18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. Still leaning towards 3 units ;)

I have time to wait to see what the sky will look like bc I’m confident it will be something similar. Neptune keeps hinting a big reveal will happen next month at reefaplozza Orlando. If they put any orange trim on it I’ll be out.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. Still leaning towards 3 units ;)

I have time to wait to see what the sky will look like bc I’m confident it will be something similar. Neptune keeps hinting a big reveal will happen next month at reefaplozza Orlando. If they put any orange trim on it I’ll be out.
I am with you on 3 Straton units.

When it comes to Neptune I think they do a great job on the software/firmware side on most/all of their product line.

When it comes to hardware it is ATI hands down. Get one of these fixtures in your hands. The materials and build quality exceed any fixture I've owned -- which is several. (Disclosure: I've not owned Orphek or ReeFi.)

HolySmoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you and Scott that 3 would definitely be optimal but 2 would 100% be doable.

Lol I'm with you on the orange trim. I would buy their new fuge light if it wasn't so ugly. The orange really kills a lot of nice color options in the sump area. I don't think for a second they would even consider making the Sky orange.

@ScottB I have owned almost every light but orphek and reefi as well and the straton just continues to impress me.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 35.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 17.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back