ATI Test Results

Shevlin77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Decided to do my first ICP test after 17 years in the hobby. I have a 90g mixed reef (softies/LPS and SPS). Had a small Dino outbreak after my nutrients bottomed out but that's mostly under control now. Still decided that could not hurt to do an ICP after seeing good reviews here about them.

Anyway, here are the things they flagged as needing attention and not in the acceptable range. Would you follow these recommendations and if so in a certain order? Would think to start with Iodine first. And any suggests on what products to bring them up? Thanks all!!
  • Potassium supplement per day dose 33.57 ml for 3 days
  • Strontium Supplement per day dose 38.33 ml for 2 days
  • Molybdenum supplement per day dose 5.98 ml for 2 days
  • Manganese supplement per day dose 1.56 ml for 1 day
  • Iodine supplement per day dose 0.61 ml for 3 days
  • Barium supplement per day dose 14.61 ml for 2 days
  • Fluorine supplement per day dose 34.22 ml for 4 days

Quantity elements
Calcium442.1 mg/l385.4 mg/l+56.69 mg/l
high_med.png
Indicate
Potassium343.9 mg/l373.5 mg/l-29.62 mg/l
low_med.png
Indicate
Strontium5.11 mg/l7.32 mg/l-2.21 mg/l
low_med.png
Indicate
Fluoride0.39 mg/l1.19 mg/l-0.81 mg/l
low_med.png
Indicate
Trace elements
Iodine5.98 μg/l59.50 μg/l-53.52 μg/l
low.png
Indicate
Barium0.56 μg/l9.15 μg/l-8.59 μg/l
low.png
Indicate
Molybdenum3.95 μg/l10.99 μg/l-7.03 μg/l
low_med.png
Indicate
Manganesen.n.0.92 μg/l-0.92 μg/l
low_med.png
Indicate

Last edited:

Semisonyx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what you’re wanting to keep. If it were me, I’d dose some Potassium and let the rest get sorted out with a couple of water changes. If you’re growing macroalgae, that can quickly deplete manganese and you can try dosing a little of that to help.

OP
OP
Shevlin77

Shevlin77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I'm trying to keep softies/lps and SPS. It was a softie/lps tank for 15 years before i started trying acros last year.
I have not done a water change in a few weeks because of the Dinos, didn't want to stir up the bed. I'll do the potassium to start. I don't do macroalga because I usually have a ULNS due to a small bioload (just a few fish) and the acros eating up the phos and nitrates.. I'll look for some maganese too.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I'm trying to keep softies/lps and SPS. It was a softie/lps tank for 15 years before i started trying acros last year.
I have not done a water change in a few weeks because of the Dinos, didn't want to stir up the bed. I'll do the potassium to start. I don't do macroalga because I usually have a ULNS due to a small bioload (just a few fish) and the acros eating up the phos and nitrates.. I'll look for some maganese too.

Just a suggestion, but you can do a water change without disturbing the sand bed... Just remove and replace water in the sump :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that potassium seems most concerning.

Of the remainder, manganese and maybe molybdenum are ones I'd dose.

Iodine is an experiment. I'm not convinced it is generally useful to dose.

the others I do not consider needed and I personally would not dose them.

OP
OP
Shevlin77

Shevlin77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that potassium seems most concerning.

Of the remainder, manganese and maybe molybdenum are ones I'd dose.

Iodine is an experiment. I'm not convinced it is generally useful to dose.

the others I do not consider needed and I personally would not dose them.

Thank you sir. Do you happen to recommend product for Maganese?

hunterallen40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a big fan of [reef moonshiner's manganese]( . It's decently concentrated (I dose ~0.28 mL into my 75 gallon daily) and has a convenient calculator.

Your fluoride is also quite low, as is your barium. I'd raise these, but that's just me.

wmb0003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
DIY supplements are an option also. I’ll link the recipes if I can find them but most of them can be searched on r2r

Note, I cross referenced this document with some other recipes on R2R and noticed boron was wrong. Spreadsheet stated "desired element in chemical by percentage" is ~11.3%, however should be 21.5%.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Long term, I would suggest that you add more fish to your system, especially utilitarian fish that are beneficial for algae control and other fish that are nice to watch. Then you can feed them smaller meals frequently and they can contribute to the bio load and provide food for your corals. Otherwise, you’ll continue to struggle with nutrients unless you’re willing to dose the necessary building blocks on a daily basis?

OP
OP
Shevlin77

Shevlin77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long term, I would suggest that you add more fish to your system, especially utilitarian fish that are beneficial for algae control and other fish that are nice to watch. Then you can feed them smaller meals frequently and they can contribute to the bio load and provide food for your corals. Otherwise, you’ll continue to struggle with nutrients unless you’re willing to dose the necessary building blocks on a daily basis?
Yeah man I’ve tried that. But I have 2 clownfish that are 13 years old and female is very large and extremely aggressive, she’s killed the last two fish I added that were even bigger than her. And any fish even bigger and they are too big for my 90 gallon. Will be upgrading to a larger system soon In the meantime I have gotten into the daily habit of dosing neonitro and neo phos.

Never had a bottomed out nutrient issue before my SPS that I recently started keeping started taking off and consuming it faster than I expected

jetskiwilly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shevlin….. pull the clown, put her in time out…. In sump or other location for a week. Did that for a midis who had whole tank for 2 months and became a dick to new foxface. He had a new attitude once returned.

anthonymckay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I’ve never understood folks raising elements with no known biological role in any organism, such as barium.
Probably because the vast majority of reefers (including myself) have not a single idea of what does/doesn't have a biological role when it comes to trace elements. So they just try to match it to what we're told are the nominal levels because "that's what's in the sea", haha. I'm guilty of this too!

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing that caught my attention is ATI recommends dosing based off of salinity. For example, above they say dose potassium to 373 when 400 is more commonly recognized. I use a spread sheet (not the one above) instead of their recommendations. My salinity was low at 32 according to ATI, so the recommendations given were low.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably because the vast majority of reefers (including myself) have not a single idea of what does/doesn't have a biological role when it comes to trace elements. So they just try to match it to what we're told are the nominal levels because "that's what's in the sea", haha. I'm guilty of this too!

It’s easy to google “Biological role of barium” or whatever. The answer is given in big letters:none lol

wmb0003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s easy to google “Biological role of barium” or whatever. The answer is given in big letters:none lol
I think misinformation is another big part. I tried your exercise, and found quite the contrary. This is from Fauna Marin's website, a trusted sponsor for R2R . Not saying this is correct or incorrect. Just stating it is difficult for the normal hobbyist to wade through all the information trying to decide what is fact or fiction.

1660072264810.png

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back