ATO for AIO recommendations

trapphd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all — I've had my IM Peninsula 20 set up for several months now and all is going smoothly. I've just been manually topping off a couple of times a day; I'd like to consider an ATO system. However, given the AIO chamber, I don't know if there's any special consideration as to where the sensor would be located or other factors. For example, occasionally the intake chambers will run low if the filter floss clogs faster than normal, etc. In that circumstance, I'd be worried that the sensor in the AIO chamber would then trigger too much ATO water to be dispensed in the display. Any insight or specific product recs would be much appreciated, thanks!

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Tunze 3155 is considered the gold standard in ATOs but it is being replaced by a new model. I have a JBJ Nano ATO on a Waterbox 15 and it has been flawless. ATOs are typically placed in the return chamber as it is the only chamber that should be fluctuating with evaporation. If you are having clogging issues you need to address them before you add an ATO. It sounds like you have too much media in your intake chambers or you go way too long between cleanings.

OP
OP
trapphd

trapphd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Tunze 3155 is considered the gold standard in ATOs but it is being replaced by a new model. I have a JBJ Nano ATO on a Waterbox 15 and it has been flawless. ATOs are typically placed in the return chamber as it is the only chamber that should be fluctuating with evaporation. If you are having clogging issues you need to address them before you add an ATO. It sounds like you have too much media in your intake chambers or you go way too long between cleanings.
Good to know, thanks! Is there a timeframe for when the new model drops? And the clogging occurs rarely but enough where I want to account for it. I do weekly WCs so I'd be inclined to say I have too much filter media (or have been cutting the floss too large).

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know, thanks! Is there a timeframe for when the new model drops? And the clogging occurs rarely but enough where I want to account for it. I do weekly WCs so I'd be inclined to say I have too much filter media (or have been cutting the floss too large).

I have the same clogging issue with my 10g Innovative Marine. It doesn't happen often but every now and then the return pump outruns the flow into the back chamber. The only real solution I've come up with is to remove the filter floss if the tank is going to be unattended for any significant amount of time. I've thought about adding an additional float switch to detect high water in the overflow but haven't figured out how to rig it yet.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use my Hydros controller for ATO using a Hydros dosing pump. The ATO output type has some advanced setting you can setup that will limit the amount of water being added in a given time frame by giving the pump a maximum on time and also give it a minimum off time. You can also specify a minimum on time and maximum off time. If the maximum off time or maximum on time are exceeded it will send an alert. also you can set it not to run past max on time like I have it. To use as a ATO you would need at least a Control 2 and a water level sensor and a pump. i would suggest using only a drive port for pump power. Hydros has an ATO kit with a small pump and the sensor along with tubing and a anti siphon device. i use the dosing pump since I have my top off tank in my garage which is around 35ft from the tank. Also when using the Hydros ATO kit you would use a lot shorter times than with the 42ml per minute dosing pump. Below are the screenshots of the two outputs that control the ATO. since I have several other sensors and leak detectors I used the second output for extra control and used the depends on setting in the ATO output to link it to the ATO. The second output is linked to the return pump with a depends on the same way. If the return pump is off the ATO will not operate.

5B59F0DC-E29A-49E6-8367-9CB8820D3805.png

49E09C79-60A8-4997-AD48-34F5A83C92EA.png

30C87C1B-19F0-4B81-A64F-1999C1BED5A0.png

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Similar to above you could run the ATO on a timer, maybe a smart outlet, so it only powers on a couple times a day and only stays on for so long. Problematic with the full size Tunze Osmolator, though, since it does a self-test every time it's powered on and dumps water in the tank whether needed or not (mainly an issue for nanos).

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Similar to above you could run the ATO on a timer, maybe a smart outlet, so it only powers on a couple times a day and only stays on for so long. Problematic with the full size Tunze Osmolator, though, since it does a self-test every time it's powered on and dumps water in the tank whether needed or not (mainly an issue for nanos).
Would also be a problem with the JBJ Nano. It also does a power on self test. It actually should be turned on with the water level slightly below the fill point as it also sets a max-time timer to avoid overfilling (simple fail-safe) based on how long it took to fill the chamber.

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last I heard it is first quarter 2022 but until it gets some usage I'd personally take a wait-and-see attitude. Tunze products are usually among the best but even they mess up from time to time. Part of the reason the 3155 gets such high marks is that it combines an optical sensor for fill with a mechanical over-fill float switch fail safe. I'm not sure the new one will have that.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am dealing with this now. My solution at the moment is to run the Tunze Osmolator with the primary (optical) sensor in the return chamber. The secondary sensor is in the display itself (I know, not beautiful). If the return pump for some reason outpaces the over flow and the tank begins to overfill due to ATO, the emergency shut off float switch should stop the ATO from adding more water.

Anything I haven't considered?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 33 80.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.9%
Back