Ato, need help with putting together a system.

dohc97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always stayed away from ato' s specially after seeing fellow reefers go through issues but I will be taking a longer vacation later this year and would like to have as fool proof a setup as possible. So I need help putting something together. I want something controlled by my apex, switches running through a breakout box. I like the avast setup but want to have more redundancy. So I guess what am asking is how to add more sensors to make it as safe as possible, also if using float switches I would like to get good quality. Budget is probably $250-400 for entire setup but I will spend more if I need to. Thanks for any help in advance

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! That's a big enough budget to pay me to come and top off your tank manually, every day. :rolleyes:

I am not familiar with Apex interface, but by simply putting float switches in series, and slightly offsetting one switch, you now have backup.

JBJ makes / supplies nice water resistant float switches.

You can also check out my DIY I did HERE for ideas.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
dohc97

dohc97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im using a peristaltic pump which will take a big chunk of this budget. I wish I had family that could come over and feed fish and do top off, would make me feel a lot better. What would be considered the best float switches?

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you wasting your money? Why do you think you need a peristaltic pump? Why are you re-inventing the wheel?

ATOs are tried and true. JBJ is rock solid and under $100 including a pump. It has a redundant configuration as well. If you want to spend a little more, get a Tunze Osmolator. I have both the aforementioned on 2 tanks for many years and never had an issue. My #1 choice for you is the JBJ.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always used auto top.com float valves for my ATO. It's more DIY for sure, but it works. Been using them for years and years with not one issue.

EddieM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the Avast ATO connected to my Apex. I like the Avast because it uses a pressure switch, as opposed to a float switch that can stick and also includes an optional float valve. I use the Avast pressure switch to trigger one of my Apex outlets, which I have a Spectrapure "LiterMeter LM3-MPM" plugged in to and pulling top off water from a 55 gallon holding tank in my basement. As a safety precaution, I have the Litermeter set to only run for 1 hr 3x's a day. I also have a secondary float switch set higher in the sump that alerts me if it's triggered.

Essentially that gives me 4 failure points (pressure switch, float valve, timer and float switch) before I flood my tank.

Total Cost (excluding Apex controller)
Litermeter LM3 $120
Avast ATO (Bare wire) $90
Apex Breakout $40
Secondary Float switch $10
Total $260

I travel a lot, so the extra piece of mind was worth it for me.

jace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have Apex Controllers, setting up ATO should be cake and straight forward. Tunze Osmolator is rock solid, best ATO IMO.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the two recommendations for the Tunze 3155. No need to 'control' it with Apex but you can use Apex to power it off/on as needed (water change time, other maintenance, etc). As reliable as you can get with minimal effort.

OP
OP
dohc97

dohc97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the Avast ATO connected to my Apex. I like the Avast because it uses a pressure switch, as opposed to a float switch that can stick and also includes an optional float valve. I use the Avast pressure switch to trigger one of my Apex outlets, which I have a Spectrapure "LiterMeter LM3-MPM" plugged in to and pulling top off water from a 55 gallon holding tank in my basement. As a safety precaution, I have the Litermeter set to only run for 1 hr 3x's a day. I also have a secondary float switch set higher in the sump that alerts me if it's triggered.

Essentially that gives me 4 failure points (pressure switch, float valve, timer and float switch) before I flood my tank.

Total Cost (excluding Apex controller)
Litermeter LM3 $120
Avast ATO (Bare wire) $90
Apex Breakout $40
Secondary Float switch $10
Total $260

I travel a lot, so the extra piece of mind was worth it for me.

This is the way im leaning seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. I want to do it with 2 float switches wired separately to the breakout box. Each one telling the apex to shut down the pump. Does that sound ok?

OP
OP
dohc97

dohc97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the two recommendations for the Tunze 3155. No need to 'control' it with Apex but you can use Apex to power it off/on as needed (water change time, other maintenance, etc). As reliable as you can get with minimal effort.

I have heard great things about this setup but I have also read that the optical sensor is not as good as a pressure sensor

OP
OP
dohc97

dohc97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you to everyone that responded. I think I have made a decision just have to buy everything. Who makes the best float switches?

EddieM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the way im leaning seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. I want to do it with 2 float switches wired separately to the breakout box. Each one telling the apex to shut down the pump. Does that sound ok?
Yes. That's how mine set up. The second float also notifies me and turns off the skimmer.

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set my ATO on a regular lamp timer. I evaporate about 2-2.5 gallons a day, and that can be replaced in one 15 minute window of the day. If the ATO fails, all that will happen is I will get 15 minutes of water in the sump (which will overflow to a safe drain). There's no reason to send electricity to your ATO for a full 24hrs of the day. It just increases the possible damage that can be done in the event of failure.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.2%
Back