ATO redundancy ideas....

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to try and set up an ato system for my tank. The trouble is I have heard of too many stories of reeftanks and frag tanks being wiped out due to accidental overfilling because of a faulty/sticky sensor or switch. What system is 99.9 - 100 percent bulletproof in your opinion??? Also looking to keep this under $100 if possible...

Thanks, I'll hang up and listen;)

MimicOcto8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've ran this simple system for 2 years with no problems. an top off valve from ebay for like 25bucks. 1/4inch tubing with a 1/4" shut off valve. 10gallon tank or 5gallon bucket from lowes. hook it all up and gravity feed the top off water to the sump tank.

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ATO unit from avast look good.

OP
OP
dougers31

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've ran this simple system for 2 years with no problems. an top off valve from ebay for like 25bucks. 1/4inch tubing with a 1/4" shut off valve. 10gallon tank or 5gallon bucket from lowes. hook it all up and gravity feed the top off water to the sump tank.

Yes, but is it bullet proof?;) I know some very experienced/smart reefers that have lost everything in there tank. Could you elaborate on how yours is set up?

VegasRick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The JBJ auto top off will only run for about 5 minutes and then shut off, Then you have to reset the sensor. so if have a low flow pump for top off there is little worry about running your sg too low

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The jbj auto top off also has a second float that can be used to turn the pump off when the level gets too high in the sump. You would have (2) fail safes then; the 5 minute timer and the second float switch. I have one I got used and have been using it myself for 4 years with no issues.

MimicOcto8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but is it bullet proof?;) I know some very experienced/smart reefers that have lost everything in there tank. Could you elaborate on how yours is set up?

no its not bullet proof.

I have a 10gallon tank sitting in the closet next to my DT. I have 1/4" tubbing running from the 10gallon Kalkwasser to my sump tank connected to a float valve....being a float valve I trust it more than electronic top off...not sure how those work but its hard for a float valve to fail. I use the 1/4" shut off valve for when i'm refilling the 10g tank or doing maintenance on my DT.

OP
OP
dougers31

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The JBJ auto top off will only run for about 5 minutes and then shut off, Then you have to reset the sensor. so if have a low flow pump for top off there is little worry about running your sg too low

The jbj auto top off also has a second float that can be used to turn the pump off when the level gets too high in the sump. You would have (2) fail safes then; the 5 minute timer and the second float switch. I have one I got used and have been using it myself for 4 years with no issues.

Thanks guys! I've been thinking about the jbj one for a while and didn't realize it had a 5 min timer built in. I was going to ask if it could be put on an acjr to control how long it pumps... not needed apparently :)

OP
OP
dougers31

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no its not bullet proof.

I have a 10gallon tank sitting in the closet next to my DT. I have 1/4" tubbing running from the 10gallon Kalkwasser to my sump tank connected to a float valve....being a float valve I trust it more than electronic top off...not sure how those work but its hard for a float valve to fail. I use the 1/4" shut off valve for when i'm refilling the 10g tank or doing maintenance on my DT.

Thanks Mimic! Sounds like an option I might have to look into:)

VegasRick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever way you decide to go, make sure you have a siphon break or that the output is higher than the source. If you get a siphon going it doesn't matter what method you are using it will keep flowing and flood your system. I run my output up to my overflow.

OP
OP
dougers31

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever way you decide to go, make sure you have a siphon break or that the output is higher than the source. If you get a siphon going it doesn't matter what method you are using it will keep flowing and flood your system. I run my output up to my overflow.

So by saying a siphon break, you mean to keep the outlet hose a couple inches above the sump water right...

MimicOcto8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I like this. makes me rethink everything about my top off system. need to do some research now

VegasRick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So by saying a siphon break, you mean to keep the outlet hose a couple inches above the sump water right...

Not necessarily, you can still have a siphon with the outlet end above water. I put a T into the line at the top of the storage barrel and a short piece of line going back into the barrel. This way while the pump is running water would come out of both lines, but when pump is off air would break the siphon. I have also routed the output to the overflow above the water line, so it doesn't siphon back into the ro storage tank.

Harry_Y

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is always good to use two floats wired in series,
with One slightly above the other.

The lower one is normally open (off) and
The upper one is normally closed (on).

So as the water level drops the bottom one closes and calls for top off water
if the bottom one gets stuck the top one should open stopping the top off water.

Wiring them in this manner adds a layer of safety in case the floats get unplugged.

Remember to always wire your float switches in the manner that the system
is in the safest state they get unplugged.

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say the most "bulletproof" system that you could employ would involve multiple float switches along with a controller, to limit the duration which the pump runs for. That way, if one float sticks, you would have the second for redundnacy and the controller would not let the pump run for more than x minutes. That being said, no set of failsafes will be 100% reliable without routine maintenance to ensure that the float hasn't suffered from calcification or a stray snail.

Reggie

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run two floats in series too but I have them float at the same water level (both normally OFF). So if one gets stuck (ON), the other can still break the circuit.

laynframe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did jbj and in my water container i have a float swith with a solinoid valve on the supply side of my ro. so if the water in my make up tank gets too full it shuts everything down, thats 3 fail safes for me. i hope its enough, it still makes me nervous lol.

OP
OP
dougers31

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not necessarily, you can still have a siphon with the outlet end above water. I put a T into the line at the top of the storage barrel and a short piece of line going back into the barrel. This way while the pump is running water would come out of both lines, but when pump is off air would break the siphon. I have also routed the output to the overflow above the water line, so it doesn't siphon back into the ro storage tank.

Good to know, thanks!
It is always good to use two floats wired in series,
with One slightly above the other.

The lower one is normally open (off) and
The upper one is normally closed (on).

So as the water level drops the bottom one closes and calls for top off water
if the bottom one gets stuck the top one should open stopping the top off water.

Wiring them in this manner adds a layer of safety in case the floats get unplugged.

Remember to always wire your float switches in the manner that the system
is in the safest state they get unplugged.

I'm thinking about getting the jbj top off unit. Do they usually give you the different options and what is recommended for the most reliable operation?

laynframe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the manual for the jbj they show a few different ways to use your floats!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 63.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back