ATO redundancy ideas....

Reggie

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, my first ATO was a JBJ. It suddenly just stopped working after les than a year. They did offer to replace it but I decided to just use my controller to handle the ATO. On another tank I use the Tunze Osmolator. It uses an optical switch to detect the water level and comes with a float valve as backup.

agent462

I like my tanks wide
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, anything with float switches is ready to fail at anytime. A majority of ATO failures are caused by float switches.

My recommendation is to drip your RO or Kalk back into the sump for a specific period of time. The only thing you need to do through your normal maintenance is watch the water level in your sump. Since you're dripping or even dosing your water you shouldn't see much variability. You're protected by time and a fairly static volume of water going in. Dripping also helps to prevent shocking the system with too much at one time.

If you're set on determining when you are low and filling till you're "full", then I'd suggest the pressure driven level controller or the optical ones. They work much better and fail much less.

An additional safety is to ensure that your RO container can't hold more than will harm your system.

OP
OP
dougers31

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, anything with float switches is ready to fail at anytime. A majority of ATO failures are caused by float switches.

My recommendation is to drip your RO or Kalk back into the sump for a specific period of time. The only thing you need to do through your normal maintenance is watch the water level in your sump. Since you're dripping or even dosing your water you shouldn't see much variability. You're protected by time and a fairly static volume of water going in. Dripping also helps to prevent shocking the system with too much at one time.

If you're set on determining when you are low and filling till you're "full", then I'd suggest the pressure driven level controller or the optical ones. They work much better and fail much less.

An additional safety is to ensure that your RO container can't hold more than will harm your system.

Bryan, how do you have your drip set up? Is it gravity fed or do you have a pump set up for it?

agent462

I like my tanks wide
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doug mine is using a maxijet from a Brute trash can. I reduce it down and drip from a controllable valve. I have it drip overnight on a timer.

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Tunze Osmolator (3155) which uses an optical sensor and a backup mechanical float. This is controlled (failsafe) by a salinity probe on an Apex. Should both floats fail with the pump in the ON condition, the Apex will sound an alarm, send a text message and email and turn off the Osmolator when salinity drops below 34.5 ppt. An alarm sounds, email and text message are also sent should the Osmolator fail in the OFF condition when salinity increases above 35.5 ppt.

Last edited:

projectx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 7 gallon water jug next to my tank with a small rio pump in it. Used a float switch from Ebay for a few bucks, i have a 2nd one coming thati am going to mount "upside down" so that if the lower one should stick, the top one will break the circuit and shut the pump off, also I have the outlet of the hose just below the top of the sump to prevent a siphon and over filling it.
all in all i think it cost me $35.

OP
OP
dougers31

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Tunze Osmolator (3155) which uses an optical sensor and a backup mechanical float. This is controlled (failsafe) by a salinity probe on an Apex. Should both floats fail with the pump in the ON condition, the Apex will sound an alarm, send a text message and email and turn off the Osmolator when salinity drops below 34.5 ppt. An alarm sounds, email and text message are also sent should the Osmolator fail in the OFF condition when salinity increases above 35.5 ppt.

Now that is Awesome! I only have an acjr to work with unfortunantely and no sal. probe(didn't even know they existed). What a Newb;)

laynframe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont use Level-loc, I had 2 of them and the solinoids burn up in them! I finally sent the 2nd one back and got a refund and bought the jbj and so far so good! Also Marine depot told me they dont make them anymore.

bkoppes

SaraNOSNOWta
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is my plan when I set up my new tank. I have my 3155 only allowed to run 10 minutes a day right now controlled by my apex.

jledon4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've had the jbj top-off and that thing never failed me... like everyone says it has two fail-safes and it having the two switches helps a lot also. i love their product!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back