ATO while on vacation

Griepp06

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so going out of town for nearly 2 weeks and need a less than $100 option for a auto top off device that will only be used when on vacation as I prefer the control of adding a few gallons from evaporation every few days. not running a sump so whatever you think of cant involve a sump I a running all HOB fuge, auto feeder, skimmer, and filter. Was looking at the AutoAqua ATO 260P but some of the amazon reviews give me nightmares of coming home from vacation to a destroyed tank and flooded living room. anyone able to suggest something for my 38 gallon system and no I don't have anyone that I can get to come over to do it manually.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd spend the $200 for Tunze 3155 and enjoy your vacation worry free. Or go for a cheap unit and pray it works out. If I was going for a cheaper unit, I'd want to test it out for a few weeks and make sure it's working well before leaving it unattended.

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a bucket/container/trash can, a float switch and a pump connected to that switch. Would probably be the cheapest option. Put the float switch in your tank, and the pump can add water as the level decreases.

OP
OP
G

Griepp06

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Cell I understand where you are coming from but I cant really justify spending $200 when my entire setup has only cost me $400 and I am going back to manual top offs when I get back from the trip. @BlennyTime could I just use a float and gravity? I can put the 10 gallon water container on the higher desk right next to the tank.

LSU-reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without a sump, you really have a tight tolerance for overfilling. I would second the Tunze recommendation since it has dual sensors; one for the refill and one to stop the ATO. Also, these have a timing function that you can set to not overfill the tank.

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have wifi? If u want manual control, perhaps a $20 camera, a bucket and a pump on a wifi outlet. Keep the line above the tank so it doesn’t siphon back. Not fool proof either but just an idea.

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
@Cell I understand where you are coming from but I cant really justify spending $200 when my entire setup has only cost me $400 and I am going back to manual top offs when I get back from the trip. @BlennyTime could I just use a float and gravity? I can put the 10 gallon water container on the higher desk right next to the tank.
I understand what you are saying but honestly, Tunze 3155 is the most reliable and safest option. This hobby is not cheap at all and I’m sure we all have livestock/equipment that costs more than the tank setup itself haha. It will last for years and saves you time from manual topping off! You won’t regret it. :)

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw. I have the 260 and it’s been great but I have a sump so don’t worry about snails etc. and worst case it dump 3-4 gallons into my 90 .... oh well.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I hear ya. I just hope you dont save $100 now and end up spending much more in clean up and repair. Or go the cheap route and have to sweat it during your vacation.

OP
OP
G

Griepp06

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Cell I am going to see if I can convince someone to fill it up every few days but if I cant as a last resort I may have to get the tunze but still looking at what my other options are.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the very least I'd recommend having someone that can come clean up if the tank were to overflow.

Also for $20-30 you can buy a wifi monitor cam to keep watch on the tank. I'd highly recommend this.

themericks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have some DIY spirit you could try this:

I made one and used it for quite a while back when I was on a tight budget. Still use it for temporary QT setups. Just make sure to add a snail guard if you have large snails (can used a plastic bottle or specimen cup).

OP
OP
G

Griepp06

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Cell I actually do have one of those cameras but it is currently aimed at my 3D printer for when I am doing longer 24 hour prints but i can move it to in front of my tank.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A camera trained on the tank when on vacation goes a LONG ways in easing the mind.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Idech i currently don't have anyone that can come over to top it off but I am trying to find someone because that would be much easier.

Look for pet sitters that do home visits. My dogs pet sitter takes care of my fish when I go away. I leave detailed instructions and ready to serve meals.

Last edited:

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I was saying is point the camera at the tank. Put a pump in a big bucket of water. Plug the pump into a wifi enabled outlet (or whatever else can control the outlet).

if

OP
OP
G

Griepp06

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@workhz that is most redneck/genius thing I have heard suggested lol I have the camera and the wifi outlet I would just need a pump as my last resort option if I cant find someone to tank sit.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 48 55.2%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%

Back