ATO

jbozarth78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am in the process of researching ATO's and wanted to see if anyone knows if there is an ATO that can be set up on a schedule? For instance, if I only wanted it to run from 5pm-10pm (when I am home)? I hear so many horror stories around ATO's flooding peoples floors and do not want that to happen. I can't image that much would evaporate in a day. I would think that it can wait till end of day to check to see if water needs to be replenished. Maybe this is bad idea I don't know. Still learning when it comes to saltwater tanks. Any advice would be nice.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can always buy a wifi socket for $10 and then any ATO you buy will be able to be set on a timer.
I'm not sure what horror stories you heard, but for the number of people that use ATO, I think the horror stories are extremely minimal.

I personally topped off manually for a year before deciding to buy and trust my ATO (Tunze). Trust me from experience, without ATO, you are tethered to your tank... you can never leave for an overnight trip, no vacations, every time you leave home for several hours, its always on the back of your mind to rush back to top off before the salinity changes.

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am in the process of researching ATO's and wanted to see if anyone knows if there is an ATO that can be set up on a schedule? For instance, if I only wanted it to run from 5pm-10pm (when I am home)? I hear so many horror stories around ATO's flooding peoples floors and do not want that to happen. I can't image that much would evaporate in a day. I would think that it can wait till end of day to check to see if water needs to be replenished. Maybe this is bad idea I don't know. Still learning when it comes to saltwater tanks. Any advice would be nice.
Hello there, n I understand your position. Let me say the best a to going is a gravity fed ato
It doesn't overflow or flood but you heve to make one at this point yourself as they aren't offered to my knowledge for a tank that isn't sold w it already. Otherwise you could put your a to on a timer to control it. My wife's 70 gal. system loses a gal a day and I top it off manually 3 x a day. If interested you can pm me n I'll tell you how I'm putting a gravity fed in my wife's tank. Its no secret or hard, and it cost me a quarter what an a to goes for. Good luck n happy reefing

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back