Attaching T5 Strip Lights to Existing LED Light w/ Gooseneck Mount

Bells>Waimea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a DIY'er at all, but I know this is doable.

I have a 9 inch gooseneck mount from Dave @ NanoBox. Light is great, but I want to add some T5 strips to increase par and spread.

I bought some T5 strips from amazon and popped in some ATI bulbs.

It's a small 20g tank and the strips are only 24 inches. They are also very light and the gooseneck will 100% support the weight.

My issue is how to fasten them to the light. I know there's gotta be some fasteners or clips or some way to rig this so I can feed my SPS!

Attaching some pictures to give you an idea of what I'm working with.

ANY tips at all would be very helpful. I'm trying to stay out of the hardware store and possibly order something instead of going in person for the time being, but would like to get this done asap.

THANK YOU for your help!

IMG-5424.jpg IMG-5423.jpg IMG-5422.jpg IMG-5421.jpg

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That goose neck will never hold up the weight of T5 strips.
If you managed some how, it will all fall anyway.

Your best option, if possible is hang those strips from Ceiling. (If you can put a 4 hooks into ceiling)
Super thin Picture Frame Steel wire. Nice loops around t5. Or add in some Tie-Wraps.

You will be able to raise and low by adjusting the wire to get things perfect.
Super Safe too (even though you have a Tank Mesh Top)

You may see the wires for a few days, then they will dissapear. I know I did that same.

Those T5's look light and even a good Fish Line will hang them till your get to hardware store.

You will have to figure out how to provide support for the power cords.

Another option to make things more stable is join the 2 T5 strips with 2 cross bars somehow.
Then hang up the 2 T5's by two wires from Cross bars (So only 2 hooks in ceiling)
You will have to balance things, and again deal with the weight pulling on the cords. (Maybe one T5 has cord on right, the other on left).

Last edited:

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is easy go to Home Depot and get some aluminum bar 12-24” will be enough 3/4”x1/16” . And some screws . Those t5 s came with brackets.mount the two aluminum bars to the screws at the corners of the led fixture . Then the two t5 lights mount on the ends of the bars . It’s simple

OP
OP
B

Bells>Waimea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the response!

The goosneck is solid, however. It easily supports the weight of both the T5 strips and a reefbrite strip as well. It's very stiff and can support quite a lot.

Hanging from the ceiling isnt an option currently.

I'm thinking theres gotta be some universal clips or fasteners of some type.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the response!

The goosneck is solid, however. It easily supports the weight of both the T5 strips and a reefbrite strip as well. It's very stiff and can support quite a lot.

Hanging from the ceiling isnt an option currently.

I'm thinking theres gotta be some universal clips or fasteners of some type.
Well if you trust the Gooseneck that was designed for JUST that light.....

Why not join the two strips (reefbrite and t5's) with some kind of double cross bar (bit flexible) to gently but firmly pinch the double strips onto the fixture.

The challege you have is not to block the light coming from the gooseneck fixture, so just at the edges. However I see vents there, so be careful not to block ventilation!!

I still think that adding extra weight to the Gooseneck is a risk.

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the best drawing I can do . You need bar screw nuts 8-32 screws and nuts and use the brackets that came with the t5s you have to drill holes in the bars . Good luck

4DA44305-7292-4BD2-A6B7-63BA905D3EA4.png

OP
OP
B

Bells>Waimea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the best drawing I can do . You need bar screw nuts 8-32 screws and nuts and use the brackets that came with the t5s you have to drill holes in the bars . Good luck

4DA44305-7292-4BD2-A6B7-63BA905D3EA4.png

This looks like it could work.
Think I could get long tiny screws to mount into the LED unit?
Don't think drilling the T5's would be an issue.
Like the ability to angle the front T5 as to not bleed light into the room.

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t drill the t5s they ALWAYS come with mounting clips ( in my hand ) put a small nut and bolt through the aluminum bar . I’ve done it it wor

3A394666-0242-4BD3-A9E3-5AD03D5C2EBF.jpeg 9B3B22EE-72DA-4DA6-AB5C-E53155453EFC.jpeg 9C9CE826-DA32-4F92-9392-902634193062.jpeg

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll just say this.....

Do what you wish.
I don't think Using the Gooseneck is a good Idea for Hanging T5's. Expectially TWO.

Just read this.....(Someone doing a DIY Mount for his light)...one of many stories I'm sure.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/help-kessil-fell-in-tank.708958/#post-7324021

The T5's are one weight, but the Cords on the T5's are something to consider, if anyone gives them a Yank, or Trips over the cord. (MAYBE that Gooseneck is Truly strong and firmly attached. I don't know)

I care for your safety, so make sure you are 100% are running your Setup with SHOCK Protection Should the lights fall into Tank (when Top Mesh is off)
GFCI outlet is a must. (Anything running AC Electricity near Water should ALWAYS have Protection for your Life and Loved ones.). T5 fixtures are High Votage (unlike LED if power supply is separate). And Not T5 that I know of is WaterProof.

And if you decide to cover up the Vents that keep your Gooseneck Fixture Cool. Make sure you have Smoke alarm to let your know should it start to overhead and smoke.

I mention these point, since after 25 years of doing Marine Tanks, I've had a bunch accidents, which always were caused by doing shortcuts, or hack work. Reef Tanks want to self destruct in many ways.

Always Think "what's the worst that can happen"....And do things to prevent the WORST CASE Scenario.

Last edited:

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be more concerned about the stress on glass other than the actual weight the mount will support.. your also going to get lots of light spillover if you just mount the t5's to LED. IMO I would build a small canopy that you can tuck all those lights into and hang it over tank somehow, lots of options for doing this other than wires from ceiling.

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to be honest , one or two more t5s and you won’t need anything else.
I put 4 on a 20 gal and it’s so powerful it can bleach any coral . I had to raise the fixture and lessen the photo period. So one more t5 might be perfect. Buy the way those t5s you purchased have decent 6400K bulbs . Just get 2 blue plus bulbs and use 1 64k bulb that came with them . and they have linking cables to so you only need 1 cord.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 16 16.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 66 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.1%
Back